Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16
How did you find YOUR VETTE? (Read 40924 times)
Oct 29th, 2004 at 8:23pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

How did YOU find/aquire YOUR Vette?

We've done this before, it has been awhile, lets do it again! Cheesy
Before, it was in the 77 catagory. I want to include ALL C3's.

Nothing dramatic about the way I got mine Roll Eyes
I got mine from a guy who's wife said it had to go or she goes.
The interior was completely stripped and out of the Vette when I got her in 1997. Price? $4,500.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2004 at 8:44pm
JRD77VET   Ex Member

My '77 came into our family back in 1985.

My mom and stepdad ( Don ) got transfered to the Ellicott City area of Maryland.  They had a home built for them. The builder and them became friends.

My mom "bartered" for the '77 Corvette.  She painted the inside of a brand new 3500 sq ft house in exchange for the Corvette.  The house was on 3 acres and sold for $650K. She immediately gave the car to  Don for his birthday.

Don used the car as his daily driver until 1997.  By this time the car had a total of 70K miles on it.  It was "replaced" by a brand new supercharged Grand Prix.

Mom asked me if I was interested in the Corvette. I always really liked the car, I had only seen one other Corvette with that same rear spoiler on it.

We agreed on a price ( $4K ) and a " no interest loan".   I had the car 3/4 paid off when Mary and I got married.  Part of our wedding present from Mom & Don was a note saying the car was paid in full.

I've had the car since '98 and it now has just over 77K miles on it.

Here's some history on the car that I found.
The original owner drag raced the car.  It's a L-48  4 speed with 4.11 gears.   He literally left the motor on Cecil County Dragway ( MD ). Blew the original motor to smithereens.  He parked the car in a field.

The second owner ( the builder ) got the car, put the custom interior in it, the rear spoiler and a 4 bolt main motor in it.

When Don got the car, the notary suggested he get another plate for it ( you can keep the plate on a car in MD when you transfer ownership ) because the local police had this plate number memorized.

:seeya:  Jeff

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 12:15am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

:cool1: Great story Jeff... I love it! :excellent:

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2004 at 11:15pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Jack & a few of you have already heard this story,but for those that havent: I was working in an oil refinery,Tesoro in Anacortes,& at the time in a different job than I normally do,out of a warehouse with a crew of about 6 guys.About 2 weeks before the job was winding down,I was talking cars with one of them,& he mentioned he was trying to sell a vette.I had never owned a vette before,but had admired them over the years.Ended up with a bright yellow 1977 L48 with blk.interior.It was during this job,unknowingly to me at 1st,I had begun to get very sick.After driving the 77 a short while,I ended up in an ICU for 2 wks,then in recovery for a year.Towards the end of that year,was hit head-on & the 77 was destroyed and almost myself with it.Then another 3-5 months goes by while recovering again & searching the internet and going vette shopping with Jack.One day while refilling my pain pills,etc at the local pharmacy,the cute girl who gives them to me knows my story from what I told her,& she says her dad may want to part with one of his vetteS. Shocked Wink Its unadvertised for sale and 1.5 miles up the street in town! Grin Thats how I found my 79,parked among his vettes,a 55 Cheby,a 67 454 El Camino,& all sorts of other classics.Cut the story REAL short,but I'm still here & on the Forum! :cheers: Keep the shiny side up! :thumbsup: :yesnod:

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 1:35am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

For those that are fairly new here...
here is the before and after pics of Jon's 77:

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 7:43am

MONKEYWRENCH202   Offline
Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

WELL ITS NOT WORTHY OF MAKING INTO A PAPERBACK, BUT HERE GOES. Wink

ABOUT 25 YEARS AGO A SECOND COUSIN HAD A 65 CORVETTE ROADSTER W/ A DUAL-QUAD 327 THAT JUST PLAIN LOOKED LIKE THE COOLEST CAR IN THE WORLD TO ME.  (I WAS 7 YEARS OLD!)  A VERY CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE (MY DADS BROTHER OR "UNCLE DALE" TO THE FOLKS AROUND HERE.) HAD HIT MIDDLE AGE AND NEEDED A CAR TO TRAVEL AROUND MICHIGAN W/ FOR HIS SELF EMPLOYED JOB.  MY "77" WAS BOUGHT FORM A DOCTOR WHO HAD DESIDED TO BUY A NEW C-5 RAG-TOP.  DALE DROVE THE "77" FOR A FEW YEARS OFF AND ON PUTTING ABOUT 20,000 MILE ON IT OVER A 3-4 YEAR TIMESPAN.  HE WAS LIVING ON A DIRT ROAD AT THE TIME AND WAS FORCED TO MOVE TO ANOTHER LOCATION. (GM HAD BOUGHT THEIR HOUSE TO BUILD THE NEW CADDY PLANT HERE IN LANSING MI)  WELL ONCE INTO THE NEW HOME HIS MID LIFE EVENT HAD SLIGHTLY SUBSIDED, AND DESIDED THAT HE WAS GOING TO SELL THE "77".  A FEW YEARS BEFORE THIS, HE WAS IN THE SAME SITUATION W/ A HARLEY THAT I GREW UP ADMIRING, AND I WANTED TO BUY THAT BIKE VERY BAD, BUT HAD NO $ OR CHANCE TO COME UP W/ IT TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY.  A DAY I TRULY REGRET!  I LOVED THAT BIKE! Embarrassed

WELL WHEN I HEARD HE WAS GONING TO SELL THE SHARK, I DESIDED THAT THE $ I HAD SETTING IN AN ACOUNT FROM LEAVING MY OLD "UAW" JOB 401K, NEEDED TO BE INVESTED.  I DESIDED TO BUY THE "77".  SINCE THEN I HAVE DONE EXTENSIVE MODS, RESTORING, AND MAKING INTO A VERY NICE RIDE THAT I AM VERY PROUD OF.  I HAVE DONE ALL THE WORK EXCEPT THE PAINT.  A VERY BIG CONFIDENCE BOOSTER TO ME.  8)

I WOULD HAVE TO RATE THIS AS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I HAVE DONE FOR BOTH MYSELF, AS WELL AS FOR MY RELATIONSHIP W/ MY WIFE.  MY SON AND I HAVE HAD A FEW GOOD CONVERSATIONS, AS WELL AS MAKING SOME OF HIS FRIENDS GET INTERESTED IN CARS TOO.  I HAVE TOLD MANY PEOPLE THAT OWNING AND WORKING ON A VETTE WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE FOR THE BETTER.

"AND ONE MORE THING, IT SOMEHOW HAS BROUGHT ME TO THIS WEB-SITE, WHERE I HAVE LEARNED A GREAT DEAL.  A FEW FOLKS HAVE HELPED ME THRU SOME TOUGH DECISIONS, THAT DO NOT EVEN PERTAIN TO VETTES!  YOU KNOW WHO YOUR ARE, AND I WILL NEVER FORGET IT!  THANKS!"

:burnout:

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 8:45am
AZSpeedBuggy   Ex Member

Long time ago in a far away land, well...really not that long ago and right here in Tucson Arizona...sometime in early July of 2000, while reading the classified ads, I found a 77 Corvette for sale, asking price of $5000.  Checked it out for couple of days and offered the guy $4500 for the car, he took it.  The vette original came from Louisiana and been in Arizona for about a year.  I consider my 77 as my 27 years late Corvette...meaning, on 6 July 73, the day I entered active duty in the United States Air Force, I wanted a CORVETTE, but couldn't afford one...then, 27 years later, to the date, 6 July 2000, I finally bought my Corvette, 27 years late.  It has been great since then: owning, maintaining, and driving my vette.  Constantly getting comments from people on the "nice" car.
Now, the bad and good news.  My older brother, Ed, passed on this May of 2004...Ed and my sister-in-law decided if anything would happen to him, I should have his 68 Corvette, since I would understand and appreciate his Corvette.  So, in the later part of June, I flew to Seattle along with my 17-year old daughter and drove Ed's 68 home to Tucson, 1700 miles.  My son and his new bride, had a nice and touching license plate frame made in Ed's honor...ED   In Loving Memory, which is prominently mounted around the rear license plate.  Ed and I did a 2-day "road trip" in his 68 back in May 2003.  We started in Seattle, drove down to Mt St Helens, on to the Oregon border, along the Columbia River, up to Pasco, then back to Seattle.  It was a cool road trip together, we broke the speedometer needle on that trip, and it was a blast.
Of course, both vettes are RED.
I'm AZSpeedBuggy and I approve this message.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 11:13am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Darn AZSpeedBuggy, I'm sorry to hear about your brother, Ed. Cry
I wished you'd let me know you were coming to Seattle as I live here I would have loved to met you, even under the sad situation. 

I have fond memories of my first Vette I had when I was 21, a 68 'vert BB.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 12:50pm
AZSpeedBuggy   Ex Member

Jack,
thanks for the kind words.
next time I'm in Seattle, I'll let you know. My sister-in-law still lives on Captial Hill and an Uncle near Federal Way, so I will visit again, someday.
the shop, "Corvettes of Auburn" did alot of work on Ed's vette.
AZSpeedBuggy

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2004 at 3:53pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

My love for vettes was instilled early in life   ... ( Fast Forward) ... and when Diane and I decided to get married she made me promise to buy her a vette before she turned 40 . . . (FF) . . . since she had her vette, I started shopping. After months of looking and vettes turned down by my wife, I ended up at the Hi performance swap meet in Puyallip Fair grounds. I saw two vettes that fit the bill. The first one was way out of my budget but I grabbed a flyer anyway. The second one was perfect and in my budget! But unfortunatley was sold for cash right before my very eyes. Weeks later,saturday morning I woke up with a wild hair. Called my bro and asked if he wanted to go look at a vette. I called the guy from the first vette I saw and asked if I could come look. Diane said I was nuts! We were headed to Mexico on Monday and I should wait till we get back. Knowing the car was out of my price, my bro and I went and looked anyway. The guy couldn't sell her because the electrical in the car was all but gone! She looked good, ran great but nothing else worked. I made an offer and much to my surprise, he accepted! I drove her home , much to my wifes surprise, and promptly packed for a 2 week vacation with the family!

WOW! What a vacation! we had a great time with the kids in Mazatlan! All the while Sharky was sitting in my garage just waiting for me to come home!

I think Diane finally forgave me for the unanounced purchase Grin

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 7:17am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Quote:
Jack,
thanks for the kind words.
next time I'm in Seattle, I'll let you know. My sister-in-law still lives on Captial Hill and an Uncle near Federal Way, so I will visit again, someday.
the shop, "Corvettes of Auburn" did alot of work on Ed's vette.
AZSpeedBuggy

Shoot, I've probably seen it as I hang there alot and built their website:
http://corvettesofauburn.com/

Quote:
I think Diane finally forgave me for the unanounced purchase
Scott

And you went and put yourself in the doghouse AGAIN getting the 79 Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 8:46am
ArkShark   Ex Member

I started out wanting some type of sports car.
I had a Triumph GT6 for a few years, but it was a basketcase, and I never had the time to get it running, so I sold it.
Then I started looking at older Z cars... but then as my financial situation improved, I looked at newer Z cars. 

After I saw what new Z cars were going for ($30K), I thought a used C5 would be in the same price range.  However, I thought spending that much $$ for a toy was a bad idea, so I started looking to older vettes.

My Dad found a 77 in the local paper last Christmas, and he called me and told me about it.  I knew that if I called, I would have to see it, and if I saw it, I might buy it.  I did.  What a beauty it is! 

I haven't owned it a year, yet, but its sure given me a lot of joy.

And best of all, I paid it off today.   Grin

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 8:57am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Quote:

And best of all, I paid it off today.   Grin

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 8:59am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Quote:
I started out wanting some type of sports car.
I had a Triumph GT6 for a few years, but it was a basketcase, and I never had the time to get it running, so I sold it.
Then I started looking at older Z cars... but then as my financial situation improved, I looked at newer Z cars.  

After I saw what new Z cars were going for ($30K), I thought a used C5 would be in the same price range.  However, I thought spending that much $$ for a toy was a bad idea, so I started looking to older vettes.

My Dad found a 77 in the local paper last Christmas, and he called me and told me about it.  I knew that if I called, I would have to see it, and if I saw it, I might buy it.  I did.  What a beauty it is!  

I haven't owned it a year, yet, but its sure given me a lot of joy.

And best of all, I paid it off today.   Grin

:congrats: :excellent: :83093gears:

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 10:45am
Chuck63   Ex Member

Many of the members already know my story as well but here goes....

The "how" I found my Vette is only part of the story, the "why" is important too.

First the why - it goes without stating I always wanted a Vette (red blooded American male and all).  But if you back up to when I was 15, my first car was a 1965 T-Bird.  My Dad and I spent two years restoring it.  I learned as much about life as I did cars working on that and I wanted something similar for my sons.

Fast forward to Sept 11, 2001.  We learned that day that my Dad had untreatable cancer.  As his time came he and I talked of many things.  I mentioned I would like to get an older car to work on with both of my sons before either got too old and it became "It's my car" or "It's his car".  My Dad thought it was a good idea and even gifted me some money to purchase it.

Now the "how":
Skip ahead to June of 2002 and I stumbled over an online ad for a Vette.  I mean literally stumbled I was looking for something else completely.  Long story short, the price was too good to be true but I called anyhow.  Well, for once, the "too good to be true" price was accurate.  After I looked at the car, it was sold!

2.5 years later, and many hours of work, my sons have learned a lot and we've gotten to spend many hours of father and son time.

:cheers:

Chuck
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2004 at 11:28am by N/A »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 16

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.