Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Retaining Originality (Read 9201 times)
May 3rd, 2006 at 4:24am

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

One of the things that owners should be aware of and reminded of is that several items on your car are date coded.  Every time you trade in one of your brake calipers you are losing another date coded part.  This is the same with your alternator, starter, water pump and the list goes on.  Even your interior door panels are date coded.  If you need to replace a component maybe you should consider having the original one rebuilt or if not rebuilt maybe tuck it away somewhere so when you sell your car at least you will have the original components.  I have kept every component that I have replaced on my car right down to the original exhaust pipe.  Numbers matching means much more than correct engine and transmission.  Whenever I go to a car flea market I carry the pocket copy of the NCRS specification book.  That way I can quickly identify the part date and whether it is correct for Corvette.

1977 ZZ4, 650 Speed Demon, 1.6 Rollers, Patriot Headers, TKO-500, Wilwood Brake Calipers & Master, Hydroboost, Hydraulic Clutch, Steeroids, Composite Monosprings, Bilstein Sports, DeWitts Rad

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2006 at 5:32am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

binnie,
gteat info, i am the fifth owner of my car and whenever i change a part if it is not to be refurbished right away, i store it away until i can  have it done. and even then, it will stay on the shelf until it is needed again. unfortunately, i know i do not have the correct water pump, shock absorbers, or brake calipers as these items were replaced prior to me owning the car. however when i replaced the strut rods i kept the originals.  but like you, i will consult the ncrs pocket guide to see what i can replace when browsing through the swap meets.  i have learned quite a lot from you and bob beck. it certainly has been educational and i thank you for that............................................................chris  :cheers:

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2006 at 7:55am
Urmulley   Ex Member

Binnie, where can I get my hands on a pocket version of NCRS?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2006 at 8:01am

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

Quote:
Binnie, where can I get my hands on a pocket version of NCRS?

http://ncrs.org/store/shop.cgi/page=C3.Library.htm/SID=1146669471.30247

1977 ZZ4, 650 Speed Demon, 1.6 Rollers, Patriot Headers, TKO-500, Wilwood Brake Calipers & Master, Hydroboost, Hydraulic Clutch, Steeroids, Composite Monosprings, Bilstein Sports, DeWitts Rad

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2006 at 8:48am
cave_dweller   Ex Member

Thanks Binnie,for the is posting,just by chance,(?),I'm getting ready to get new seats for my car,but after what you wrote above I think that I'll store them away,just as I did my motor and other stuff . Thought here,......getting my door panels redone might be difficult,in that there are few that you can trust to do the job right.       I mean in the Maryland,Virginia,(sigh),DC area.    Oh well glad I popped in,Later.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2006 at 11:14pm

blbeck   Offline
Top Gun Member
Charlotte, N.C.

Binnie is right even things like the T-Top bags and jack are date coded.
Bob Beck

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2006 at 7:33am
jimw3470   Ex Member

HI folks, I 'm new at this, I just bought a 77 from the second owner it has 55,000 miles and is unrestored. It has had 3,000 miles put on it since 92 and has sat in a controlled collectors garage since then. I just put new tires and belts and fluids in it. It runs fine and everything works except the clock and trip meter. It is emitimg a noise from the reat drivers side. The faster I go the louder it gets. When I let off the gas the noise goes away, but then as it slows down it comes back. A friend said it may be because its just been sitting for so long. A local garage told me to just drive it until it goes away or gets worse??? Any suggestions, Thanks ...Jim

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2006 at 9:38am

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

Quote:
HI folks, I 'm new at this, I just bought a 77 from the second owner it has 55,000 miles and is unrestored. It has had 3,000 miles put on it since 92 and has sat in a controlled collectors garage since then. I just put new tires and belts and fluids in it. It runs fine and everything works except the clock and trip meter. It is emitimg a noise from the reat drivers side. The faster I go the louder it gets. When I let off the gas the noise goes away, but then as it slows down it comes back. A friend said it may be because its just been sitting for so long. A local garage told me to just drive it until it goes away or gets worse??? Any suggestions, Thanks ...Jim

Welcome to the forum Jim.  It sounds like a very intersting car you have there.  I have asked the moderator of the this section to move your inquiry to the Technical section where I am sure you will get lots of response.  My suggestion would be first to check the U-Joints on the halfshafts.  Where the car has been setting so long there may be some seizure in the joints.  Regarding your clock that is a quick fix...the biggest pain there is removing it.  The same goes for the trip-meter....the pain getting at it to free up the little gear on the odo shaft.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2006 at 5:02pm
Brian   Ex Member

I have had my t-top storage bags out of the car for about a month now trying to let them lay flat to get the fold lines out of them. I looked today to see where the date code was on them. What I found was in orange grease marker or some type of permanent marker in one corner on both tops the number 60. On the inside of the vinyl material of both bags there are circle and a triangle patterns printed into the material. Inside the circle there is the text TEX and the number 75 under. Around the outside of the circle there are numbers like a clock face. The numbers 1,2 and 3 are circled through out the printed pattern on both bags. Also printed on both bags there are triangle patterns. Inside these patterns there is text printed inside FR. Does all this represent a date code? I find no other markings what so ever inside or out.
Brian

« Last Edit: May 4th, 2006 at 5:21pm by yellowjacket »  
IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2006 at 5:32pm
MDVZ06   Ex Member

Remember, you should always keep any parts you remove from the car if it's an original part, date coded or otherwise.  We really don't 'own' these cars forever & it's realistic to know that at some point in time, another person will (probably) be the caretaker of your 'vette!  They'll certainly appreciate the fact that they'll get all the original parts along with the car.  It goes without saying that any 'date coded' part should be re-built & re-used, or at the very least, stored away so another future owner will benefit!!  
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2006 at 5:33pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 14th, 2006 at 5:35am
rweasterly   Ex Member

what about paint ????  i also bought an all org 77 c3 (one owner) with  43k......i too am saving all org parts(mothballing ) them ...all the changes iv made so for and the ones i will make will be only "bolt ons" so they can be removed..(no cutting or mod.)  back to the paint,,,,  what can i do and cant do  ??????..mine is the org. paint with some touch up spots....i will want to to do something with it in the future....thanks
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2006 at 5:39am by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2006 at 6:33am
Brian   Ex Member

Like you I am keeping my original paint as long as I can. It has been polished so much over the years some of the paint is gone on the rear bumper. The corvette body is manufactured in two sections except the doors and hood. If you look at the car from either side from front to back or visa versa at a slight angle you should see seem lines above the wheel wells about 3 inches or so ending at the doors. I looked into a new paint job many years ago and was told my car was worth more as it was so I just left it. This is also one way to notice if a car has been repainted because most body shops will remove them.
Brian

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2006 at 8:28pm

blbeck   Offline
Top Gun Member
Charlotte, N.C.

Brian
The TEX on your t-top bags are for the manufactures logo and date stamped inside. The two digit number is the year manufactured and the 12 numbers on the outside in a circle are for the month. If a bag was manufactured in March it would have the first three months circled and if the bag was produced in December all twelve will be circled. This ink is sometimes water-soluble and may dissolve because of leakage.
Bob Beck

IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 15th, 2006 at 3:37am
Brian   Ex Member

This makes sense to me now. So there could be other date coded parts on these cars that may not coincide with the year? I noticed the tail light lenses also have 75 on them. So here is where it gets confusing, some parts may or may not be correct because of a date code and other parts may be correct because of the part number but the date code may not be correct. ???
Thanks Bob,
Brian

IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2006 at 11:34am

blbeck   Offline
Top Gun Member
Charlotte, N.C.

Brian
Yes the tail lights have 75 on them and that never changed for the entire 1977 production year, but your bags should have 76 for a early car or 77 for a later built car.
Bob Beck

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.