Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Body Build Date (Read 12545 times)
May 15th, 2006 at 8:09pm

blbeck   Offline
Top Gun Member
Charlotte, N.C.

The body and trim plate is a stainless steel; machine stamped with trim code, paint code and approximate body time build code. It is attached to the drivers door hinge pillar by two aluminum "pop" type rivets between the first and second color coats. The tag is attached with the word Chevrolet and a letter and numbers on the first row.
The approximate body time built code contains a letter representing the month, followed by two digits representing the day of the month.
The body build date is the date the body passed the point on the assembly line where the plate is installed. At this point the body is painted, but no wiring, upholstery or trim and is not mated to the frame. It remains on the assembly line for at least one day and maybe several days, depending on weekends and holidays. For this reason, it is referred to this date as the approximate build date.
Check to see if build date agrees with the date on the Vehicle Certification label on the
drivers doorframe near the latch.
A= August
B=September
C=October
D=November
E=December
F=January
G=February
H=March
I=April
J=May
K=June
L=July
M=August

Examples: C27 would be Oct. 27th
                C02 would be Oct.  2nd
Bob Beck

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 15th, 2006 at 9:16pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

thanks for this great info bob, do you know when in august of 1977 they stopped production?? in any case, it was a full 12 month run. and i checked both my body bulid dates (A17) and the sticker on the door, they read the same.
........................................chris  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2006 at 6:42am by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2006 at 12:37am
Jaycat48   Ex Member

My build date is M10, so it is a very late production car.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2006 at 9:46pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

Quote:
My build date is M10, so it is a very late production car.

john,
what's the last 5 digits of your vin?? remember the very last one would read 49213. so, you are probably pretty close. how cool would it be to own s/n 49213? i owned s/n 44213 it was a light blue with smoke grey interior 4 speed and the L-48 motor, non tilt/tele & very few other options, it was a pretty stripped down corvette. it was my second corvette ever and it fell victim to divorce (as sometimes happens) i really liked that corvette alot.
.................................chris  :cheers:

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2006 at 3:47am
Brian   Ex Member

My cars born date is L12/77 and last 5 numbers of VIN 42515 Tuesday July 12 1977. I counted the work days from a 1977 calendar using Monday through Friday as the standard work week and came up including Tuesday July 12 with 14 work days in July and August 1977 23 work days. Using my VIN number and subtracting total production run from it there were 6698 cars made after mine in around 36 production days. Thats 186.05 cars a day. WOW!
Brian

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 23rd, 2006 at 5:19am
Brian   Ex Member

If people are interested, I can ask Jack to post the 1976 and 1977 Calendars I have. You would see the day of the week the car was produced.
Brian

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2006 at 11:22am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

Quote:
My cars born date is L12/77 and last 5 numbers of VIN 42515 Tuesday July 17 1977. I counted the work days from a 1977 calendar using Monday through Friday as the standard work week and came up including Tuesday July 12 with 14 work days in July and August 1977 23 work days. Using my VIN number and subtracting total production run from it there were 6698 cars made after mine in around 36 production days. Thats 186.05 cars a day. WOW!
Brian

brian,
i think that is unlikely, what would the number be if they had 2 shifts going and were also working saturdays?? i don;t know, if they could have reached that amount of cars per day, i thought at the 160+ number i quoted earlier that, that would have been a feat. and that figure was based on my s/n 00242 & build date A17 (tuesday august 17th and rich's  build date of A25 with s/n 01425) 186+cars would habe been quite an accomplishment. also, i believe the new model year (1978) would have been started in mid-late august of 1977 so, it's possible your estimate (as well as mine) may still be low!! and i remembber reasding the number was around the 120 per day.
who knows for sure?
..........................................chris  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006 at 12:56pm by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 23rd, 2006 at 12:34pm
Brian   Ex Member

Because of the many changes introduced with the 1977 model and having a early model and a late model in 1977 maybe the production numbers were just lower then production capacity when they started building each series of the two? Even so, if the production line ran 7 days a week 24/7 the numbers dont lie. Including my production number of car 6698 were produced in a 51 day period with an average of 131.3 cars a day 7 days a week. Go Figure ??? I'm just assuming here.
Brian

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2006 at 8:20pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

brian,
i know the numbers don't lie. it just seems amazing to be able to produce that number of sharks in the old factory. but, look at 1979 52,000++ !!!  just incredible. all i know is the production started on monday august 16th 1976. jack's and my car are both day 2 production his s/n 00206 and mine s/n 00242 with a build date of A17, and rich's corvette was produced the following thursday (either the 8th or 9th day depending on if they worked a saturday shift,) s/n 01425 and build date A25. i mean they were cooking. plus when you hear stories like binnie told of a worker's contract dispute going on at the same time it makes it all the more incredible.
.............................chris  :cheers:

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 29th, 2006 at 2:55am
Jaycat48   Ex Member

Quote:
john,
what's the last 5 digits of your vin?? remember the very last one would read 49213. so, you are probably pretty close. how cool would it be to own s/n 49213? i owned s/n 44213 it was a light blue with smoke grey interior 4 speed and the L-48 motor, non tilt/tele & very few other options, it was a pretty stripped down corvette. it was my second corvette ever and it fell victim to divorce (as sometimes happens) i really liked that corvette alot.
.................................chris  :cheers:
Hey Chris, sorry I didn't get back to you. I just now found your post. (I don't check this section often). I am at work right now but I will get back to you on the last 5 digits. I know its not the last one. If I remember right its in the 46s.

-John-

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2006 at 12:29pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Just to add. Working for the Generel we worked alot of Saturdays. And had no choice in the matter. How many St. Louis assembly worked? Doub't an answer can be had. Jack

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 8:47pm
Jaycat48   Ex Member

Chris,
Wow, am I slow or what? Anyway, the numbers are 46773, with M10 as build date. Does this sound right? Thats around 3000 cars built in the last month of production?! Must be. Grin

-John-

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2006 at 1:37am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

john,
they started 1977 production on monday, august 16th, 1976 and your car was built on august 10th 1977. that leaves 2,440 cars assembled before the end of the 1977 model year after your car was built.
                 i don't know when the 1978's started production, but it had to be sometime in mid to late august 1977 as well. and that was after a break in production so the retool of the plant for the fastback rear window for 1978. so, with the last 2,440 they were hustling. because mathematically speaking, say they had just 5 days after the 10th that's over 488 cars per day so they had to be going 2 shifts otherwise it just seems immpossible. of course we don't know what time of day your car rolled off the assembly line and these are my best estimations. i just thought it was interesting.
                         bob, what do you think?
.............................chris  :cheers:
« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2006 at 2:10am by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 12:22pm
gpas7t7   Ex Member

Just thought I would chime in here with my info
Last 5 numbers of vin 48119
Body build code M22
Vehicle cert label 8/77
So if my math is right there were 1094 cars built after August 22nd...  I wonder what the build date of the 1st 1978 is??

cya
Larry

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Sep 1st, 2006 at 1:07pm

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

Quote:
Just thought I would chime in here with my info
Last 5 numbers of vin 48119
Body build code M22
Vehicle cert label 8/77
So if my math is right there were 1094 cars built after August 22nd...  I wonder what the build date of the 1st 1978 is??

cya
Larry

It looks like they started building the '78 in September of '77 with 3186 built that month.  It appears that no '78s were built in Aug.  That figure indicates that they started building them very early in Sep.  The first '78 pace cars were built in March.

1977 ZZ4, 650 Speed Demon, 1.6 Rollers, Patriot Headers, TKO-500, Wilwood Brake Calipers & Master, Hydroboost, Hydraulic Clutch, Steeroids, Composite Monosprings, Bilstein Sports, DeWitts Rad

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.