Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Front Licence Plate? (Read 6022 times)
Aug 29th, 2007 at 6:56am

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

?????
OK Here a question. Did 1977 corvettes come with a front plate that read "Corvette". Would it be black with raised gold letters? Any takers?
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 8:29am
Urmulley   Ex Member

I am the 2nd owner of mine.  It still had this plate on it.  Mine was the black background with silver "Corvette" and silver frame.  All plastic.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2007 at 6:12pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Pat,
The letters are silver on My plate sorry I thpought they were gold. Is this a factory plate? what is your take on this.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 30th, 2007 at 10:31pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

mike,
after you asked me at carlisle about this i wanted to dheck with a few people and what i have ascertained is this was a dealer installed item for those cars in states (like PA) that did not require front license plates. i will still wait to hear from bob beck or binnie as these two gentlemen personally purchased brand new 1977's and could possibly shed some light on this subject. but, my sources are they were dealer added to "enhance" the look of the car and fill the void on the front of the car.
.............................chris  :cheers:

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 4:27am

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

My new '77 came without any plate on the front.   There is no mention in the assembly manual so I expect this was a dealer freebie.

1977 ZZ4, 650 Speed Demon, 1.6 Rollers, Patriot Headers, TKO-500, Wilwood Brake Calipers & Master, Hydroboost, Hydraulic Clutch, Steeroids, Composite Monosprings, Bilstein Sports, DeWitts Rad

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 5:56am
Urmulley   Ex Member

Mike, I think im like Bennie was saying....Must have been a Freebie from the dealership.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 31st, 2007 at 6:07am

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Not to often you get a FEEBIE from the dealer. Ill take it. I like the idea that tehy are all the same plate.
Mike

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 8:50am
YellowShark77   Ex Member

I am the original owner of a 1977 Vette that I purchased from Ruhwart Chevrolet, Denver, CO in April, 1977.  It didn't come with a front "Corvette" license plate, although I remember asking about it at the time.  All the Chevrolet literature depicted 1977 Vettes with that front plate, but the dealer knew nothing about it.  If I remember correctly, Colorado was at the time a state with no front license plate requirement.  I've heard of some folks receiving them with their new cars, but many purchased these plates from Eckler's and other aftermarket sources.  All I know for sure is, my car didn't come with one.
« Last Edit: May 14th, 2008 at 4:51pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 5:11am
Mr Clean   Ex Member

Mine has it on it ! The more I look and research I'm finding that my car is quite original with the exception of headers and true dual exhaust, a cd player and an Edelbrock air cleaner. It was in the same family from 1980 until about 6 months ago when the gentleman I purchased it from purchased it from the family. I have a Georgia title from 1980. How do I go about researching more info about my Vette ? I know it's code correct as far as paint and interior. Where is the engine casting # and trans casting # ?

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 9:28am

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Your best bet is to invest in a 1975 to 1977 corvette judging manual. 
"This holds all the knowledge you could ask for except what you learn here."

Invest you won't be sorry.
Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 9:46am
blue 77   Ex Member

annmike wrote on Jan 22nd, 2010 at 9:28am:
Your best bet is to invest in a 1975 to 1977 corvette judging manual. 
"This holds all the knowledge you could ask for except what you learn here."

Invest you won't be sorry.
Mike b

I agree with Mike.  I've got one and it is great source of information even if you are never looking at having the car judged.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 4:29pm
autoist   Ex Member

Where would one find that manual?

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 5:02am
blue 77   Ex Member

Tony, I ordered mine from the NCRS website. Lots of great info on the original appearance and operations.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 9:30am

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Yes NCRS does have them, You could also find them at Ecklers, Paragon, & Mid America. Be sure you get the second edition this will have an Orange Cover on it.
Mike b

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.