Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Synthetic Oils and Lubes (Read 10828 times)
Nov 7th, 2007 at 11:28pm
sahaus   Ex Member

I am mostly a lurker here on the site, but I thought I would post a little info I have found out about a product produced by Amsoil.

I work for a Railroad, and we are constantly being vanned or taxied to trains. The company that vans us are doing a study on using Amsoil oil and gear lubes for their differentials. They have a mini van that has had no major issues while running amsoil for the last 3 years and the vehicle has over 650,000 miles on it.

Amsoil is in the middle of doing a test with GM and the Crew transport company by running gm recommended fluids in 3 vehicles and all amsoil in 3 more. While the tests are not complete as of this time, The 3, 2006 chevy suburbans with over 200,000 miles with amsoil have had no major engine wear problems unlike the the other 3 that have the GM approved fluids. What shocked me most was they change oil on the amsoil vehicles every 25k miles, although they change the filters every 6k miles.

I am in the midst of putting in the VBP front and rear monoleaf up-grades and will be using amsoil in my vette when I rebuild my rear end. Their website is http://www.amsoil.com/

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 4:48am

Little_Bill   Offline
Allendale,MI

Ok, now a question. for a car that has been running non synthetic oil and to change over to a synthetic. Isn't the block, tranny or rear end already saturated with non synthetic oil? If this is the case , will changing over to a synthetic make a difference? Mind you I am not trying to argue simply looking to educate myself and I have thought of converting oer to synthetics but my mechanic has told me not to due to every thing being saturated with conventional oil.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 9:44am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

You can switch over with no problems & things do run cooler & with less wear. I've seen this myself in several cars.  I will be switching over per Adam to Amsoil as soon as I use up all my mobile 1. Already switched to Amsoil in several rears ends.  Your mechanic is wrong. The only time I would not switch is on an older high mileage vehicle. The syn oil will find a way to leak.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:06pm

MONKEYWRENCH202   Offline
Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

HERE ARE THE FACTS:

OLDER CARS RESPOND BETTER THAN NEWER CARS TO "AMSOIL"!

MANY TIMES OIL LEAKES ARE CURED, AND STOP LEAKING W/ "AMSOIL"

YOUR CAR WILL LAST LONGER, RUN COOLER, MAKE MORE POWER, HAVE LESS STRESS ON BATTERY AND STARTER, AND GET MUCH BETTER MILEAGE USING "AMSOIL"

I CHANGE MY OIL IN ALL MY VEHICLES AT 6 MONTHS OR 15000 MILES REGAURDLESS OF HOW I DRIVE THEM.  MY 1996 K2500HD 350 VORTEC W/ 4L80 TRANS, AND 4.10 GEARS W/ 33" TIRES,  HAS OVER 250000 MILES ON IT, AND STILL PULLS 14.5 MPG IN TOWN AND GETS 17.5 HIGHWAY.  I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY MAJOR ENGINE, TRANNY, OR T-CASE ISSUES.  I HAVE ADDED POSI TO THE REAR AXLE, AND ELECTRIC LOCKER TO THE FRONT.  I CHANGED THE DIFFERENTIAL BEARINGS AT THAT TIME, BUT THE GEARS ARE FACTORY ORIGINALS.

I HAVE BEEN AN "AMSOIL" DEALER FOR OVER 13 YEARS.  I HAVE SOLD IT TO NUMEROUS PEOPLE, WHO HAVE NEVER SWITCHED TO ANYTHING ELSE ONCE THEY TRY "AMSOIL".  

"AMSOIL" USES AMERICAN OIL BASE STOCKS, AND IS "MADE IN THE USA".  THE OWNER IS AN EX AIR-FORCE PILOT AND A TRUE PATRIOT.  HE BELIEVES IN BEING "GREEN", AND IS A HEALTH FANATIC TOO.

ALL FORUM MEMBER RECIEVE A DISCOUNT WHEN PURCHASING FROM ME.  JUST DROP ME AN E-MAIL, BE SURE TO TELL ME YOUR A FORUM MEMBER, AND I WILL FIRST GIVE YOU A QUOTE TO COMPARE TO OTHER SELLERS.  IF YOU PLACE AN ORDER, I SHIP ASAP, NORMALLY ANYONE IN THE LOWER 48 GETS THERE PRODUCT IN A COUPLE DAYS.

ADAM (AKA MONKEYWRENCH202)  dirtythundercustoms@core.com

http://www.lubedealer.com/adamwoodhams/

P.S.  ALAN,

AS ALWAYS, YOU ARE THE BEST!
Cool
« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:11pm by MONKEYWRENCH202 »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 3:54pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

I recently got an order from Adam,that allowed me to switch every fluid in my 84 El Camino Conquista over to Amsoil.I already use it in my Vettes rear end,& before I switched to an OD tranny,used in its TH350 tranny.Soon as I run out of Mobil 1 I use in my V6 Galant,I will switch that over,too. I was told though,NOT to use synthetic in its 4 spd.electronic tranny.Anyone concur or know of this?

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2008 at 9:50pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

MONKEYWRENCH202 wrote on Oct 16th, 2008 at 2:06pm:
HERE ARE THE FACTS:

OLDER CARS RESPOND BETTER THAN NEWER CARS TO "AMSOIL"!

MANY TIMES OIL LEAKES ARE CURED, AND STOP LEAKING W/ "AMSOIL"

YOUR CAR WILL LAST LONGER, RUN COOLER, MAKE MORE POWER, HAVE LESS STRESS ON BATTERY AND STARTER, AND GET MUCH BETTER MILEAGE USING "AMSOIL"

I CHANGE MY OIL IN ALL MY VEHICLES AT 6 MONTHS OR 15000 MILES REGAURDLESS OF HOW I DRIVE THEM.  MY 1996 K2500HD 350 VORTEC W/ 4L80 TRANS, AND 4.10 GEARS W/ 33" TIRES,  HAS OVER 250000 MILES ON IT, AND STILL PULLS 14.5 MPG IN TOWN AND GETS 17.5 HIGHWAY.  I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY MAJOR ENGINE, TRANNY, OR T-CASE ISSUES.  I HAVE ADDED POSI TO THE REAR AXLE, AND ELECTRIC LOCKER TO THE FRONT.  I CHANGED THE DIFFERENTIAL BEARINGS AT THAT TIME, BUT THE GEARS ARE FACTORY ORIGINALS.

I HAVE BEEN AN "AMSOIL" DEALER FOR OVER 13 YEARS.  I HAVE SOLD IT TO NUMEROUS PEOPLE, WHO HAVE NEVER SWITCHED TO ANYTHING ELSE ONCE THEY TRY "AMSOIL". 

"AMSOIL" USES AMERICAN OIL BASE STOCKS, AND IS "MADE IN THE USA".  THE OWNER IS AN EX AIR-FORCE PILOT AND A TRUE PATRIOT.  HE BELIEVES IN BEING "GREEN", AND IS A HEALTH FANATIC TOO.

ALL FORUM MEMBER RECIEVE A DISCOUNT WHEN PURCHASING FROM ME.  JUST DROP ME AN E-MAIL, BE SURE TO TELL ME YOUR A FORUM MEMBER, AND I WILL FIRST GIVE YOU A QUOTE TO COMPARE TO OTHER SELLERS.  IF YOU PLACE AN ORDER, I SHIP ASAP, NORMALLY ANYONE IN THE LOWER 48 GETS THERE PRODUCT IN A COUPLE DAYS.

ADAM (AKA MONKEYWRENCH202)  dirtythundercustoms@core.com

http://www.lubedealer.com/adamwoodhams/

P.S.  ALAN,

AS ALWAYS, YOU ARE THE BEST!
Cool
Adam,
Whenever I sell my blue 77, I'll be ordering a case from you for yellowjacket. Email and tell me how much it would be to my zip code: 98404

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 6:22am

Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

JACK,

I CAN GLADLY GIVE YOU A QUOTE, BUT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR 20W50 OIL FOR YELLOWJACKET?

ADAM

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 8:19am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

MONKEYWRENCH202 wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 6:22am:
JACK,

I CAN GLADLY GIVE YOU A QUOTE, BUT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR 20W50 OIL FOR YELLOWJACKET?

ADAM

Whatever you recommend.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 8:56am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

Hey Adam.  We just bought a 2006 Gran Prix to use as a "grocery getter" and go to court car for Diane when the weather is not right for her to use one of the Vettes.  I was thinking about switching it over to synthetic oil of some kind.  I was looking at something a bit less expensive than the Mobil 1 I use in the 2002 Vette for the G.P. The G.P. has about 45,000 miles on it.  Could you tell me what would be the best choice for that car and send me a price for the oils that would be best for all 4 cars?? Also would a differant weight be used for the 2 1977 Vettes??  The blue one has a new GM 300 hp crate motor with about 4,000 on it and the yellow one that I bought from Chris has 64,000 on the original engine now. My 2002 Vette has 89,000 miles on it, yes I drive it a LOT!!!  Thanks

Bob

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 9:04am

Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

THE PRICE OF MOBIL1 IS LOWER THAN "AMSOIL" FIRST OFF.

AS FOR WEIGHTS,  I AM A BIG AVICATE OF USING 0W30 "AMSOIL" IN DAILY DRIVERS NEWER THAN 1990.  THE VETTES ARE A DIFFERENT MATTER.  I ALWAYS RAN HEAVIER WIEGHTS IN MINE, AND WOULD SUGGEST THE SAME TO JACK AND ANYONE WHO LIKES TO "PLAY" WITH THE THROTTLE. 

"AMSOIL" 15W50 IS THE BEST OIL MADE FOR PERFORMANCE APPLICATIONS, BUT WORKS GREAT FOR CARBERATED OLDER CARS TOO.  MOST PEOPLE GET A FALSE IDEA ABOUT 15W50'S AND 20 W50S BEING THICK.  BUT SYNTHETICS DO NOT DO THIS, THEY STAY AT AN EASY FLOW RATE, BUT DO NOT BREAK DOWN UNDER STRESS.

I CAN QUOTE IT, BUT ITS AROUND $10.00 PER QUART.

ADAM

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:07am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

It may be more per qt. but if it lasts for 15,000 miles then it should be about the same. The last gallon of Mobil 1 I bought was about $24 and it says it is good for 5,000 miles.  As far as miles goes, we have had the yellow 77 for just a week or 2 short of a year now and we have only put on about 1,800-2,000 miles in that time.  The blue 77 has had about 4,500 miles since we did the resto on it 2 1/2 years ago.  So if I were to put the amsoil in those 2 it should last 2 years+ at that rate??  The 02 and the G.P are both daily drivers but even so an oil change should last about a year or more??  Is it OK to leave it in that long?? Sorry for so many questions but with the hot driving condidtions down here in Florida for the daily drivers as well as the 2 77s being in the garage so much, I would like to have all 4 cars running on the syn. oil if possilbe.

Thanks again for your time and patience.  That SHOULD be all of the dumb questins I can think of for now.   Grin

Bob

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:17am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Here's how I,ve done it over the yrs. With regular oil 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.  When I went to mobil 1 i go 4000 miles or 4 months , when I switch to Amsoil I will go 6000 miles or 6 months. I always use WIX filters on every oil change.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:23am

Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

THERE IS NO SUCH THING, AS A DUMB QUESTION!  DUMB ANSWERS, AND DUMB LOOKS ARE PLENTY, BUT I WILL TRY MY BEST! Grin

YOU ARE PERFECTLY FINE W/ LONG OIL DRAIN INTERVALS.  IN FACT, THE 0W30 I SPEAK OF IS DESIGNED TO RUN FOR 35000 MILES IN DAILY DRIVERS, AS LONG AS THE PROPER "AMSOIL" OIL FILTER IS USED.  IF USING A SHORTER LIFE FILTER, SUCH AS FRAM, AC DELCO, ECT, I WOULD STAY AT 15000 MILES.

THE OLDER VETTES, SHOULD BE FINE CHANGING THEM EVERY COUPLE YEARS, W/ OUT WORRY.  THIS IS HOW I HANDLE MY BIKES, IF I ONLY RIDE THEM 3000 MILES A YEAR, I JUST GO ANOTHER YEAR, AND KEEP AN EYE ON THE LEVELS, AND HOW CLEAN IT LOOKS.

YOUR TEMPS WILL MOST LIKELY DROP A BUNCH, AND MILLEAGE WILL IMPROVE TOO.

IF YOU LOOK AT THIS LINK, THERE IS A TON OF INFO TO LOOK AT, AND READ THE FACTS.

www.lubedealer.com/adamwoodhams

ADAM

P.S.  IGNORE THE PRICING, I WILL SELL IT FOR LESS TO FORUM MEMBERS, BUT IT DOES GIVE YOU AN IDEA, AS FOLKS CAN ORDER DIRECTLY USING THIS LINK.  IT GIVES ME CREDIT FOR THE SALES, WHEN LINKED THROUGH MY SITE.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:10pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I made this a "sticky"  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:45pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

MONKEYWRENCH202 wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:23am:
IF YOU LOOK AT THIS LINK, THERE IS A TON OF INFO TO LOOK AT, AND READ THE FACTS.

www.lubedealer.com/adamwoodhams

ADAM

P.S.  IGNORE THE PRICING, I WILL SELL IT FOR LESS TO FORUM MEMBERS, BUT IT DOES GIVE YOU AN IDEA, AS FOLKS CAN ORDER DIRECTLY USING THIS LINK.  IT GIVES ME CREDIT FOR THE SALES, WHEN LINKED THROUGH MY SITE.

Looking at your Amsoil site,
https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLookups/vintagefilterlookup.aspx
the recommendation is for stock. Yellowjacket is far from stock. Shouldn't I be getting a different type?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.