Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Synthetic Oils and Lubes (Read 10253 times)
Reply #15 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:46pm

MONKEYWRENCH202   Offline
Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

TO ALL FORUM MEMEBERS, IF PURCHASED THRU ME, HERE ARE SOME GENRAL COSTS:

0W30 ENGINE OIL PER QUART $9.90 (RETAIL $10.95) + SHIPPING   CASE OF 12 QUARTS $115.00 (RETAIL $130.20) + SHIPPING

15W50 RACING OIL PER QUART $10.00 (RETAIL $11.00)  CASE OF 12 QUARTS $116.50

75W90 SEVER GEAR OIL PER QUART $11.50 (RETAIL $12.85)  CASE OF 12 QUARTS $135.00

ATF PER QUART $10.00 (RETAIL $10.90)  CASE OF 12 $117.00

PRICES DO NOT INCLUDE SHIPPING, OR MICHIGAN SALES TAX IF YOU IN STATE HERE.

I CAN QUOTE NUMEROUS OTHER ITEMS, SUCH AS FILTERS, 2 STROKE OILS, GREASES, ECT...  ANYTHING AMSOIL SELLS!

ADAM

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:52pm

Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

yellowjacket wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 12:45pm:
MONKEYWRENCH202 wrote on Oct 17th, 2008 at 10:23am:
IF YOU LOOK AT THIS LINK, THERE IS A TON OF INFO TO LOOK AT, AND READ THE FACTS.

www.lubedealer.com/adamwoodhams

ADAM

P.S.  IGNORE THE PRICING, I WILL SELL IT FOR LESS TO FORUM MEMBERS, BUT IT DOES GIVE YOU AN IDEA, AS FOLKS CAN ORDER DIRECTLY USING THIS LINK.  IT GIVES ME CREDIT FOR THE SALES, WHEN LINKED THROUGH MY SITE.

Looking at your Amsoil site,
https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLookups/vintagefilterlookup.aspx
the recommendation is for stock. Yellowjacket is far from stock. Shouldn't I be getting a different type?

HERE IS THE BEST OPTION FOR JACK AND MANY OTHER PERFORMANCE CARS ON HERE.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd50.aspx

ADAM

IP Logged

Reply #17 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 1:09pm

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

OK I am sold.  So do you think that the 0w30 would be Ok for all 4 cars?? I don't run any of them hard enough to need the racoing oil but if it would work as well in all 4 cars then the price is not that much more.  I will trust your judgement on that question.  I was going to change to the syn. oil in Dec. before we make the trip out to Calif.  That way I would not have to take the time to have the oil changed once we got out there.  It's about a 5,700 mile round trip so it would need changing once I got there.  So I guess around the 1st of Dec. I will be getting a case of oil for myself for Christmas.   Cheesy  All 3 Vettes are good for 3 or 4 months with the oil they have now.  March or there abouts I can get another case and that should do it for the 3 Vettes and the MGB.  KOOL!!! I like this.  I will get in touch with you in Dec.

Later and thanks for all of your help and info.  Have a great weekend.

Bob

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 3:21am

Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

I DO FEEL 0W30 WORKS IN ALMOST ALL CARS.  I USE IT IN EVERYTHING I OWN, BUT MY BIKES WHICH ARE AIR-COOLED AND REQUIRE 20W50.

IF A OLDER CORVETTE HAS AN ORIGINAL ENGINE, THE HEAVIER WEIGHT 15W50 IS A BETTER CHOICE, BECUASE ENGINE INTERNAL CLEARANCES WERE NOT HELD AS TIGHT AS NEWER CARS.  I WAS VERY COMMON FOR OLDER CARS TO HAVE 0.002-0.003" CLEARANCE ON ROD BEARINGS, AND 0.0025-0.0035 ON MAINS.  THIS IS VERY LOOSE, AND THE HEAVIER WEIGHT OILS DO BETTER JOB, AND YET CAUSE NO DETREMENT.

I AM A BIG FAN OF 0W30 FOR ALL APPLICATIONS INCLUDING LAWN MOWERS, GARDEN TRACTORS (GASOLINE OPERATED), GO CARTS, SNO-MOBILE CHAIN CASES, AND NUMEROUS OTHER PLACES.

IF ANYONE OUT HERE HAS A DIESEL, "AMSOIL" HAS THE BEST OPTIONS FOR YOU GUYS TOO.  MY DAD HAS A DURAMAX 2003 4X4, AND HE ALREADY HAS 125000 MILES ON IT.  THIS IS AN EXTENDED CAB, LONG BOX AND WEIGHT 6500+ LBS YET AFTER SWITCHING TO AMSOIL, HE PULLS 22 MPG NORMALLY, AND HE PUTS A 11 1/2' ELKHORN CAMPER ON IT, THEN PULLES A 24' SPORTCRAFT FISHING BOAT LOADED W/ ENOUGH GEAR FOR 6 FISHERMEN, AND THEY GO FOR 2 WEEK LONG TRIPS, BUT YET HE STILL GETS 18.5 MPG FULLY LOADED.

ADAM

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 6:53am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I have a buddy here who has a 2000 Dodge Ram dual-wheel truck with a big DIESEL with over 110,000 miles on it. Maybe Amsoil would be good for him. He is very fussy about his rig.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Oct 18th, 2008 at 11:44am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

I think that when I make the switch to Amsoil I will go with the 15/50 in the 2 77s as they both have to "more tolerances" engines, even though the new one in the Blue 77 is new it was probably built to the old specs.  The  0/30 should work well in the Gran Prix and the 02 Vette.  I guess Dec. will be oil changing time for me.   Tongue  Oh well that should be the last one for a while.

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 7:49am
ohhyeah   Ex Member

I would like a price for 5 quarts of amsoil and filter. I drive about 4000 a year. New engine has less than a thousand miles. Original block bored 30. Looking for a way to get cooler air to the carburator. Stock filter is 12 inches? Fourteen I think would cause me to remove the factor chrome from distributor. I like he looks of the Amsoil chrome air filter but don't want to remove the factory shroud. Have a rebuilt 700r4 tranny now. Do you recommend Amsoil for it too?

IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 8:08am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I would put more miles on the engine first, when it stops using oil or at around 2500 mile switch. Send MONKEYWRENCH202 a P/M he'll hook you up
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 2:22pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Adam, I agree with your choice. I have a ram with a Cummin in and did the switch to full synthetics. I use mobil 1. Luck has it my friend owns his repair shop and I do his welding for that and his coal delivery truck so a trade off is free oil. I would be interested in filters. I use FASS for the fuel system and fleetgaurd for the oil. If i gave you numbers could you cross them? I have a fass 90 GPM lift pump w/ strainer and filter. Let me now.
Thanks
Mike and the Beast.

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jul 2nd, 2011 at 5:48am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Look for your filters here..great prices, I've used them for quite some time now  http://www.filter1.com/
I get fleet pricing.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jul 4th, 2011 at 5:35pm

Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

Alan is right,  I know AMSOIL makes the best lube products there is, but no engine should have synthetic until approx 2500 miles.

Amsoil ATF is a great tranny fluid.  Average trans temp drop is 40 degrees, and longevity as well as burn (cook) point is way higher than other fluids.  I have seen trannys so hot that seals hardened, yet the AMSOIL kept the friction plates in perfect condition, w/ no scalding at all.

I have also seen more than a few trannys that felt like they needed rebuilding due to slipping, and chattering, yet AMSOIL ATF fixed them, just from filter and fluid service. (approx 6 quarts)

IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:13am
ohhyeah   Ex Member

Thanks for the information.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.