Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Restoring 1977 Aluminum Wheels (Read 4429 times)
Apr 25th, 2008 at 12:18pm
YellowShark77   Ex Member

I recently bought a set of used 1977 aluminum wheels on E-Bay to augment the original set that came on my car.  I intend to run new tires for daily driving on this recently purchased set and keep my original wheels with NOS Steelgard radials for show.  All eight wheels are in pretty good shape but a few have slight road rash and all are showing their age.  I don't want to mix and match the wheels because I want to retain the originality of the foursome that came with the car.  I'd like to have both sets restored to NOS quality, but don't know where to go for this service.  I live in Colorado and would prefer to have the wheels done locally (Colorado Springs, Denver, or close by), but would be willing to mail them off to a reputable shop.  Any recommendations?  Any idea what it would cost to restore a set of 4?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2008 at 12:18pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 7:30am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I have never delt with a restoration for the alloy wheels. But it will probably cost more than you paid for them. The is a nationwide moblie repair service they come to you. I have one that needs the inside lip straighted.

http://www.mobilewheelrepair.com/

Here is something to read
http://www.audiworld.com/news/01/wheelrepair/content.shtml
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2008 at 7:32am by Artsvettes »  

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 23rd, 2008 at 3:29pm
MDVZ06   Ex Member

YellowShark77 wrote on Apr 25th, 2008 at 12:18pm:
I recently bought a set of used 1977 aluminum wheels on E-Bay to augment the original set that came on my car.  I intend to run new tires for daily driving on this recently purchased set and keep my original wheels with NOS Steelgard radials for show.  All eight wheels are in pretty good shape but a few have slight road rash and all are showing their age.  I don't want to mix and match the wheels because I want to retain the originality of the foursome that came with the car.  I'd like to have both sets restored to NOS quality, but don't know where to go for this service.  I live in Colorado and would prefer to have the wheels done locally (Colorado Springs, Denver, or close by), but would be willing to mail them off to a reputable shop.  Any recommendations?  Any idea what it would cost to restore a set of 4?  Thanks.

Just whatever you do, be sure and keep all 4 original wheels that came with the car together as a set, as these are date coded & even if you don't intend to do an NCRS style restoration, a possible future owner might, so it is important to keep these wheels as a set!  Good luck!!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 2:53pm

jabney   Offline
I love my 77 Vette!

I went through 7 wheels to find 4 good ones. All were stock wheels, but of course showed their age. Buy the mag cleaner from your parts store. Use plenty of it, let soak for a couple of minutes, (but not more than a couple of minutes) then use a pressure washer to rinse off. The pressure is what takes the crap off, so make sure you do the all of the outside wheel. You may have to do it more than once. I also did the inside just to clean them up. Now comes the fun part. For most of it I used rubbing compound, then chrome polish, then aluminum polish. Between each one, wash with soap and water. This will clean the black dust off. (You won't think it is there, but it is) On the gouges, I had to sand smooth before the rubbing coumpound. it took a while and some elbow grease, but the came out pretty good. A good buffer helps. I also used my Dremel on the edges. Don't be afraid to work on them, then use the mag cleaner again. It will help clean them up. By this time the hard work is done, and aluminum polish will bring it right back. It is not easy, but alot cheaper than getting it done, or buying new ones. I didn't worry about the center, because I painted them black. Now another way, is to find a local chrome shop that caters to Trucks, (semis) There is bound to be someone with a wheel polishing machine close by. Some of them will do car wheels. Have fun!

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.