Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Clutch size? (Read 875 times)
Jul 24th, 2008 at 1:41am
pbi   Ex Member

Hi to all
It's a long time ago that I have posted here a question. Now after Rhode Island and Switzerland I'm in Hungary (with my Vette!) Smiley
It seams that I have a little problem with my clutch and I guess it is the bearing. Because it makes no sense to change only this item I intend to use a clutch kit and replacing also the pressure plate and the clutch disc.
I realized that there are two different sizes available (10.5" DIAMETER 26 SPLINE & 11" DIAMETER 26 SPLINE). I don't like to take the clutch now apart to measure which one is actually installed and then waiting a few weeks until I get the replacment. But how can I be sure, which one I have to order? If both would work, which one do you recommend?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards
Peter

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 4:17am

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

If your setup is original, then you have an 11" clutch and pressure plate assembly.  If it is not original, then I expect, if someone put in a 10.5" then they would had to change the flywheel anyway as original flywheels were drilled for 11" only.  Most replacement flywheels are drilled for both sizes.  So, you should be good to go with a new 11" setup.

1977 ZZ4, 650 Speed Demon, 1.6 Rollers, Patriot Headers, TKO-500, Wilwood Brake Calipers & Master, Hydroboost, Hydraulic Clutch, Steeroids, Composite Monosprings, Bilstein Sports, DeWitts Rad

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 24th, 2008 at 9:00pm
pbi   Ex Member

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 7:36pm

JB   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Hello.. I assume the plate size in my stock 1979 model is also 11"?  But I see that the 11" comes with either 26T spline or 10T spline. Which one will I need for the '79 model?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2018 at 8:53pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

it depends on how stiff you want the clutch to feel. either one should work for you. I like the 10T for a "stiffer" feeling. although I have read that the 10T spline clutches are more prone to breaking I seem to remember that the effort was more to engage the 10 vs. the 26 I'm sure others will follow with their experiences

Chris  Smiley
« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2018 at 12:35am by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 6:35am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

You have a 26T spline earlier vettes had the 10T
Alan Smiley

My 68 had a 10T spline on the trans

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 8:47am

JB   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Thanks for your response and your knowledge, Alan. I know what to purchase now. Looking forward to getting the clutch rebuilt after all the winter weather is over. The local shop in my very rural town estimates about 4 hours for the job. At $80 an hour, this is much better than trying to tackle this job at home!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 1:35pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

You are very welcome. I would also have them replace the  Pilot Bearing with a pilot roller bearing ( a good one) not a cheap advance auto special. If you had an extra hand & a lift it's not to bad of a job. While you have it out put new ujoints on your drive shaft & replace that trans mount. All fairly cheap & easy while it's apart.
Alan  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 5:45pm

JB   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Alan.. Jegs has a McLeod clutch kit I am considering. The kit number is 75121 (Street Pro Clutch Kit). The kit includes the pressure plate, drive plate, standard throwout bearing, and an alignment tool. So you are recommending to also replace the pilot bearing? If so Jegs offers a Chevy Performance roller pilot bearing for $21.99.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 9th, 2018 at 5:48pm

JB   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Alan.. Forgot to mention that I had already planned to replace the drive shaft u-joints. I am actually replacing the shaft too. Thanks for the tip about the transmission mount.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 4:19am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I would defiantly go with the roller bearing.  The McLeod clutch is a good clutch..should last forever. Had one in my 68 & it lasted for around 10 yrs & I tested it pretty good. When the clutch finally went I went with a centerforce...no real reason but I think it can handle more TQ for a better price.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.