Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

DOOR PILLAR DATA PLATE (Read 5227 times)
Dec 19th, 2008 at 10:42am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Before I painted my car if I remember right I think I posted somewhere about weather the data plate on the drivers side door pillar should be body colored or left natural.  I think I remember the general concencious was the data plate should be painted.  Any way Looking at the ebay post today showing the orange corvette it's plate was unpainted and I have a buddy with a 71 thats unpainted.  Which is correct?  It will be no big deal to chemically strip my plate if I need to. Rick

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 11:04am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

RICK,
PAINTED IS CORRECT FROM FACTORY! SINCE THESE METAL PLATES WERE NEVER PREPPED OR TREATED WITH ANY SORT OF PRIMER/BONDING AGENT, THE CAR WAS PAINTED AND THESE WERE ALSO. AFTER TIME THE PAINT WOULD "FLAKE" OFF BUT I REMEMBER A LONG CONVERSATION I HAD WITH BOB BECK AND IN FACT MY YELLOW SHOWED SIGNS OF PAINT IN THE RIVET HEADS, THEREBY INDICATING AT SOME POINT THE PLATE WAS PAINTED. IF YOU READ M.F. DOBBINS 1973-1977 CORVETTE FACT BOOK HE STATES  THE DATA PLATE WAS NOT PAINTED BUT THAT INFORMATION IS NOT CORRECT. BOB (AS WE KNOW) IS ABOUT AS KNOWLEDGEABLE AS YOU GET WITH THE 1977 AND EVEN THE NCRS CONSULTS BOB AND HIS MSO 1977 CORVETTE FOR CORRECT INFORMATION, CAN'T GET MUCH MORE AUTHUORITATIVE THAN THAT!
...............................................CHRIS  Smiley Smiley
P.S. HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2008 at 8:26pm by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:36pm

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Chris
Thanks.  It kind of worried me when I look at different years of corvettes that the data plates are unfinished.  I am trying very much to keep my car all original looking except for the aftermarket Volvo electric fan and aluminum radiator.  Thanks as always.  Rick

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 1:08pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

with Jack's newest aquisistion, he said the data plate is missing, i wonder why someone would remove such a valuable piece of history from the car?? especially since it is riveted in place!!! these plates give color, interior choice (cloth/leather) of color, and approximate build date of the car!
.................................chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 1:38pm

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

The one on my yellow one is very shiney chrome.  Is that how it is suppose to be??  The one on the bllue 77 has been painted over and I will have to strip it down to see the writting on it.

Bob

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 2:13pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Bob, actually it should be painted.  I got my new and it was painted at that time, though after all these years some of the paint is now flaking off.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:09pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Rick
Mine has paint on it. This is due becuase of when it was applied at the factory. The second coat was was applied after the plate was put on so yes. Would you like a picture of mine?
Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 5:24pm

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Mike
Dont wory about sending me a picture.  Before I painted the car you see so many corvettes over on the other forum showing nice shiney pillar plates I kind of questioned which was right.  I did paint over the plate just like good old GM did.  It was just so weird that they did that because it sure makes them hard to read.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 22nd, 2009 at 7:10pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

Bob,
yours is shinny because i was going off information from m.f. dobbins' 1973-77 fact book where he states the trim plate should be free of paint, after numerous conversations with bob beck, i found that information to be not factual (already stated above) and if you look closely at the rivet heads, you will see yellow paint on the inside of the rivet.---painted from factory IS correct!!
..................................chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 23rd, 2009 at 7:37am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

That's cool.  Thanks for the info.  Being un painted makes it easier to read for old eyes.  Smiley

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.