Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Any Welder's out there? (Read 3332 times)
Mar 29th, 2009 at 2:44pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Is there anybody that has a welding profession for a living' or on the side? What type of equipment do you prefer? I myself am a MILLER Man. Miller Trailblazer w/ TIG Setup, Miller CP110 Miller 30' Spool gun for Aluminum, Victor Torches, Harris Air Arc, All set up on a 1995 Ford 350 unit.

Does anybody have any Welding Questions needing answered? Bring em on.

Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 3:10am

MONKEYWRENCH202   Offline
Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

I DO ALL THE "TIG" WORK HERE AT "DTS".  LINCOLN PREC TIG 335.

MY CO-WORKED DOES ALL THE MIG WORK.  MILLER 200 AND LINCOLN 200.  I CAN MIG VERY WELL, BUT IT HIS JOB AND I DO THE MACHINE WORK.  HE CAN'T TIG TO SAVE HIS LIFE, AND WE CANT HAVE SLOPPY OR UNSAFE WELDS, SO I DO THE TIG.

I HAVE A LINCOLN PREC. "TIG" 185 AT HOME FOR MY BIKE AND MISC PROJECTS.   I DO VERY WELL ON STEEL / CHROME-MOLY, AND STAINLESS, BUT NEED MORE EDUCATION ON ALUMINUM.

ALL SELF TAUGHT SO I AM NOW TO THEW POINT WHERE I NEED SOMEONE TO GET ME ONTO THE REAL TRICKS OF THE TRADE.

Cool

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 3:58am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I have always wanted to weld, my father was an expert welder in all phases, he even was an expert at leading cars. For some reason I never pinned him down to learn any of this. I bought a Hobart Handler 180Mig welder 2 yrs ago & have been learning & having fun. Only weld on steel & it has really come in handy. Also bought a Hyperthern powermax 600 Plasma cutter from Mike last yr. Haven't used it much yet but plan to in the next month or so as I've got some cutting to do on the Dodge. Built my fist welding bench last week  to weld & use the plasma cutter.  I'm still an a amature, but have a company acoss the parking lot that has expert welders that use  a tig & do lots of alumnium work. I ask them lots of questions. One thing I do know bad welds can be grinded away Grin & I always have the grinder close .
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 4:07am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I have a small Lincoln MIG 135 it does what I need it to do. I don't ever try to put a stickin my hand. Like Alan my Dad was a certified welder didn't learn it from him................jack

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 3:32pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Aluminum is a whole other beast. Keep it clean fill your puddle when you stop. Use 100% tungsten or zirconium. Argon 100% . Use post flow for gas and if you have a crater fill use it. Depending on alloy you need to know if the product is going to be anodized. We use a lot of 5556 alloy weld wire at work, depending on alloy being welded. Me i like to run 4043 or 5356 for mig. 4043 is much more forgiving and gives a better appearance for the weld. I run straight Argon for aluminum and for carbon 75 argon and 25 co2. Stainless use argon 98% / helium 2% mixture.
Aluminum at work is lots of big stuff. 12" schd 100 is small. We have what I consider world class aluminum welders at Air Products
Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 7:39am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

I wish I was good at welding. I was planning on picking up a MIG for awhile now,but other things keep coming up.Whats a decent one for around the garage for  novice average joe type projects?

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 2:49pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Buy a good product. Just a word of advise. do not by a Linclon at home depot or lowes. They are not the same models that you get at a welding store. They look the same but the parts are not. Trust me this comes froma Lincoln Factory rep.  I love Miller Products. buy a Miller CP 135 110v unit
Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2009 at 2:51pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"

Hey,thanks 4 the heads up!  WinkWhat should I expect to pay for that unit?

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:02am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Jon
Probably in the $600.00 - $800.00 range I would guess. Stay with the 120V setup. I went with a little bigger unit 220V 30amp, but plan on welding thicker metal. Had to go with a 50 amp circuit to use the plasma cutter & wired them both with the same plug. Don't know how I lasted this long without a welder this long. I sure love it...you have to get a good helmet too. Lots of pros use the flip up helmet , but I got a good auto dimming helmet which makes it pretty easy . It dims in 1/20,000 of a second & I can set the intensity of the light.  You'll need a CO2/argon tank   , gloves, wire & brushes too + clamps. Probably around $1000.00 to get a pretty good setup.  Once you start you'll never look back.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 3:25am

MONKEYWRENCH202   Offline
Top Gun Member
GETTING THERE IS HALF
THE FUN!
MAPLE RAPIDS MICHIGAN

www.usaweld.com

THESE GUYS MAKE A AWESOME WELDER.  I BUY ALL OUR SUPPLIES FROM THEM, AND WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THEM WHEN I ORDERED MY TIG.

OUR WELDER HERE AT DTS NEEDED A WELDER FOR HOME AND ORDERED THEIR MIG 200 MODEL, AND IT WORKS GREAT.  SUPER TOUGH BUILT, THE INTERNAL DRIVES ARE WAY BETTER THAN LINCOLN AND MILLER.

THEY DO NOT ADVERTISE IN MANY PLACES LIKE THE BIGGER COMPANIES, BUT THE PRICES SHOW THAT THEY KEEP OVERHEAD DOWN.

YOU CAN GET A MIG 140 FOR $850.00, OR A MIG 160, WHICH WOULD BE MY RECOMMENDATION. FOR $950.00.  THIS WILL DO ANYTHING ON CARS, BUILDING TRAILERS, ECT...

THIER PRICES FOR ACCESSORIES ARE INCREDIBLE, AND THE SHIPPING TIME IS FASTER THAN ANYWHERE ELSE.

DTS GETS ALL THEIR WIRE AND CONSUMABLES FROM THEM NOW.

Cool

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2009 at 7:20am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"

Sounds great,Adam. -I have worked around welders,& some very good ones, for years-being employed at various oil refineries for years.They have to pass some very strict testing to even get out there,which includes pipe welding,flat & round stock,some stuctural,etc. I have set everything up for them & resupplied bottles & gear,as a pipefitter,but I usually dont do alot of lay-out,mostly bolt-up.
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2009 at 7:21am by Maximus79 »  

...... ...
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.