Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS. 
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

rear sway bar info (Read 5697 times)
Dec 4th, 2009 at 11:26am
kbyounger   Ex Member

OK, I know this is probably a dumb question, but I've noticed that my 77' has no rear sway bar on it.  I checked parts books and found one to indicate the possiblity that some may not have had sway bars.  Certainly they all are supposed to have one????  And I presume that it will fit behind the rear end... between the rear end and the rear bumber, and to the frame somewhere?  thanks - kip

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 9:20am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Kip
It was an option FE7 Gymkhana suspension. It can be added but there is more to it as far as spring rates. Also if you are looking to add a rear sway bar there was two diffrent  versions. I think the change came in 1978 with a smaller diameter bar.................jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 12:28pm

blue 77   Offline
Top Gun Member
purchased new in 77
Abilene, Texas

I think in 77 only about 7200 had the Gymkhana suspension option.  So most of the 77's did not have it.

Dale

... ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 12:53pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

It's pretty easy to add a sway bar(frt or rear) & it does improve handling
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2009 at 8:32pm

Maximus79   Offline
Global Moderator
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Mine didnt have one.Sadly,the one I bought to put on it,ended up on my 79,until I upgraded that suspension further

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 3:23pm
kbyounger   Ex Member

Well, I'll be darn.  I can't imagine that it really came without one, but appearently it did.  OK, thanks so much for your imput...  If I order one for it, my guess is that this will entail drilling holes into the frame of the car for the mounting brackets?????  thanks - kip Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2009 at 4:36pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

All the holes are there for a stock sway bar............jack

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 8th, 2009 at 11:07am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Gotta say this though, don't go for anything other than the original size bar or you'll be sorry.  Just going from a 5/8" bar to say a 3/4" will make a car really stiffen up.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2009 at 12:18pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I'm with Alan,
I added both front and rear to Sharky and WOW! Along with the other changes she is night and day difference in handling.
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 5:09am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I ordered a rear sway bar for the 77 (5/8") & it came in yesterday ...all the holes are there except the four hole on the trailing arms have to be drilled slightly larger . The holes in the frame are there & need to be tapped because of all the road grime over the years. Looks like a fairly easy install. The car should handle much better. Got the kit from VBP Smiley
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 6:48am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I installed the rear sway bar yesterday. It was a easy install only had to inlarge the holes on the trailing arms a bit. Cleaned out the holes with threads on the frame. Had to lower the car on the ground to fasten on side. Took it out yesterday to test the difference. It made a much improved difference in the rear end. Still doesn't come close to the blue vet , but I'm probably spoiled. The front still feels loose on the yellow vet & I will look everything over to see what needs to be done.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 9:46am

huggy46   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

I have a 1970 corvette was it supposed to have a rear sway bar,I bought it and it doesn't have one. I would appreciate it if someone could help me.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 22nd, 2017 at 10:23am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Many of the C-3's did not come with a rear sway bar, but everything is there to bolt them up. You might have to scrap some crud away to see the holes but it's all there. I think I took off one tire & slide it in that way. I installed them on all of mine makes a big difference in the handling.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.