Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Hood insulation (Read 8423 times)
Jan 24th, 2010 at 11:24am

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Does anybody have take on a 1977 hood insulation? I have a few questions:
1 Does it come moulded.
2. What color is it. Green or gray or black
3. What is the proper length
4. Anybody replaced their and were did you but.

Arts corvettes has a moulded one for $210 and others are $35 to $45. This is a huge range.
Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Mike

I have yet to see a moulded one, not saying there isn't one.
The one I got off fleabay from Penn Ohio Corvette I haven't seen them listing lately. It did have somewhat of a backng material and is gray in color. At 4/22/09 it was $17.00 + shipping. I would imagine they have increased
One tip the retainer that is glued to the hood is NLA Be carefull removing the metal retainer..........jack

The listing I have off the reciept
Pfelffer Motor Sports
3749 W. State st
Edinburg Pa
724 6671212

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 5:52pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

http://www.artscorvetteparts.com/mainstreet/forms/ms_item_images.aspx?item_guid=...

Jack
Here is a shortcut to what I was looking at. I tend to agree with you on a moulded one. I had removed mine and reading in the juding manual the after market ones are 15" shorter? Did you find that to be true? I notice that mine is cut out to fit the profile around the air cleaner intake. I had thoughts of replacing mine. I was ultra carefull on taking the clips off, but all are off at this point.
Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2010 at 7:19pm

blbeck   Offline
Top Gun Member
Charlotte, N.C.

The 1977 was a one year only blanket.
The original part # was 379976 it was rev. in Dec. 1983 to part number 472800 for 1976 to 1979 Corvettes it also (must be trimmed as required) the cost was $15.00 in 1983.
I ordered one back then knowing it wouldn't be right but it was not even close. I still have it today in the original GM box.
Bob Beck

BTW: Arts is not correct for the 1977 model year.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2010 at 7:29pm by blbeck »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 3:08am

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Bob, Thanks for the info. Mine is still good but the look of having dirty insulation and loose fiberglass hanging from it bothers me. I still plan on keeping it due to the fact it is original. Thank you so much for the info on this. I feel the $45 is better than $210 just for the looks.
Thanks again
Mike b

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 25th, 2010 at 4:14pm
MDVZ06   Ex Member

The 'ArtsCorvetteParts' '77 'molded' underhood insulator for $210 isn't even to close to a '77 original. Finding an original '77 molded insulator in excellent shape or NOS is just about impossible, and like the '77 only floor mats, I wouldn't look for anybody to reproduce a 'correct' one anytime soon......

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2010 at 4:51am
chuckster   Ex Member

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2010 at 10:49pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

Mike,
if the insulation is loose and hanging down and you want to reatin it, try using 3M super 77 spray adhesive to tack it back on, you should wear rubber gloves (surgical gloves should suffice) and spray sparingly just where needed. if you can't find this I have a couple of cans left and can either join you in the furture on a cruise or give it to Alan next time he haeds up your way.
..............................Chris   Smiley
p.s. as you can see an original is about impossible to find anymore! Bob Beck, Binnie, AND Mark Vasquers are the guys I look to for orininalty and NCRS type questions.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2010 at 10:51pm by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:16pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

Chris, I could not do that to the car as far as spraying adhesive on it. I am happy with the one i got from Bair's I did need to cut around the air cleaner intake and it looks great. I did save the old one and have it stored. I just need to keep it the way it came from the factory.
Thanks
Mike
« Last Edit: Sep 28th, 2010 at 5:17pm by annmike »  
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 8:20am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Quote:

Thanks Chuck, this forum and some of us have been around a while!

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 5th, 2010 at 5:46pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

I dont have any hood insulation Cry

...... ...
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.