Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Power steering cap (Read 3232 times)
Jan 26th, 2010 at 12:42pm
Mr Clean   Ex Member

Does anyone else have a hard time getting their power steering cap off, mine sits directly below my alternator bracket and I can barely wiggle it out of that tight spot. Was this common on the Vette, I've had SBC before and never had a problem.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 1:05pm
oz dave   Ex Member

mine is the same

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 1:26pm
class of 77   Ex Member

Same spot, It takes a little twisting to get the cap out from underneath.      Bob

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 6:31pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Same here.  Just have to develop a technique.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 7:05pm

basketcase   Offline
Top Gun Member
One Day She will run,
oh yes she will!
Herndon, Virginia

This is a common problem.  Some people use a power steering pump with a remote reservoir.  I am going to machine a small amount out of the bracket to allow it to pivot slightly closer to the water pump which will give more room.  The march brackets I am using make the situation worse.

Smiley

1977 Burgundy Corvette.  In the middle of a restoration.
Currently, 3.36 gears, VBandP composite monoleafs, KYB shocks, built thm400 trans, 383 stroker engine, custom  headers, bumble bee paint scheme on the suspension.
Currently working on new body.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2010 at 8:23pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Quote:
Same spot, It takes a little twisting to get the cap out from underneath.      Bob

Same here! Kind of infuriating. Huh

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 4:25am
Mr Clean   Ex Member

One thing I noticed is that the belt on the power steering is extremely short in relation to the slot in the adjusting bracket, I may try a little longer belt and utilize some of the adjustment to move the pump a little farther away from the Alt. bracket.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 4:41am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I'll never understand why they put power steering on a sports car anyway. More weigh, more problems & less feel of the road??? I never had a muscle car or sports car with power steering & never will.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 5:23am
blue 77   Ex Member

Alan, I think it has to do with more people wanting the "creature comforts"  more than they truly want a "sports car". Shocked

Just look at all the extras added year after year after year.  Lots of things a sports car doesn't need, but they make the car more "comfy". Roll Eyes

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 9:39am

basketcase   Offline
Top Gun Member
One Day She will run,
oh yes she will!
Herndon, Virginia

Alan,
   To an extent I agree, and with the Rack and Pinion setup, power steering is even less necessary, but I still like it when parking.  Now, If we could have variable assist like the european performance cars, that would be great.

Could you get right on that for me.     Grin

Cheers

Richard

Currently, 3.36 gears, VBandP composite monoleafs, KYB shocks, built thm400 trans, 383 stroker engine, custom  headers, bumble bee paint scheme on the suspension.
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 10:03am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Well I admit the vet is a bit difficult if you have to park sometimes , but I usually stay out of those situations. The Dodge or any other larger car is pretty easy to handle & I don't miss the power steering one bit. In fact it handles better without power steering. Guess I'm old school on this...I don't even mind manual breaks Cheesy
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 10:04am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

In a parking lot or slow speed situation,power is quite nice. we had a non-power 68 Buick Skylark,& I have to say,my mother & sister didnt need to go to the gym for an upper arm workout.They were pretty buff.

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2010 at 10:15am

basketcase   Offline
Top Gun Member
One Day She will run,
oh yes she will!
Herndon, Virginia

I had a 72 Dodge Polara (Blues Brother Police Car), with the huge steering wheel and little finger steering.  Even idleing and not moving, lock to lock was doable with your little finger.  No road feedback at all.

Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.