Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Steering wheel Removal (hub) (Read 2120 times)
Feb 22nd, 2010 at 11:46am
Mr Clean   Ex Member

Took my steering wheel apart and was attempting to remove the hub with my steering wheel remover (done this many times on other cars) and it wont move, I have a lot of pressure on it and it won't pop off like most steering wheels I've dealt with, am I missing something ? Removed the funny looking clip and the nut.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2010 at 5:12pm

wnmech   Offline
Global Moderator
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Mr Clean
Are you talking about removing the locking plate?  If you are trying to remove the locking plate under the steering wheel you will have to go to Autozone and use their locking plate removal tool.  Is your column a tilt/tele column?  If you are talking about removing the steering wheel only it removes like most other cars.  Probably rusted on the shaft.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:04am
Mr Clean   Ex Member

I'm trying to remove the hub that the streering wheel is screwed to (6 screws ) which has the splined shaft like most cars. Also what is the rod that is in the center of that shaft and is about 6 inches long ?it's not attached to anything and has no threads or anything and is free moving so to speak.. Thanks, Ken.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:13am

wnmech   Offline
Global Moderator
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

The rod in the center is for the locking of your tilt/tele column.  Here is a link to Jim Shea's steering wheel papers.  He was an engineer for them there will be a diagram for everything you ever need to know about your column
Rick
http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2010 at 9:23am by wnmech »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2010 at 10:02am
Mr Clean   Ex Member

Thanks wnmech !!

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.