Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Installing Electric Windows (Read 13080 times)
Reply #30 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 8:12am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

77vette wrote on Jul 29th, 2010 at 2:39pm:
Looks professional Smiley

Quote:
Really admired you guys who can modify to solve problems.  Wink
Good job, Alan. Smiley

Dale

You guys ought to see Alan's shop... it is bigger, nicer, better equipped than most pro shops! I've been there and seen it...twice.

IP Logged

Reply #31 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:14pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Just watching at some of the stuff he has done and the finished project shows the pride he takes in his work. Some companies and people up here just want to make a quick buck.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #32 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 2:40pm
blue 77   Ex Member

77vette wrote on Jul 30th, 2010 at 1:14pm:
Some companies and people up here just want to make a quick buck. 

the BIG difference of working on your own vehicle or having someone else work on it. Shocked

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #33 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 3:22pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Thats why I try to do everything myself. The key work is try, that why I enjoy this forum, They are her to help Roll Eyes when I get in over my head...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #34 - Jul 30th, 2010 at 4:51pm
seventyate   Ex Member

I've also seen Alan's shop.  That lift has to be a gift, especially when you get to be our age.  At least mine and Alan's, I know from his being a Viet Nam vet and myself we are around the same age.  And then having the garage at your place of business gives you something to do in your spare time.  But then I just read where Alan is down one worker so I would imagine his spare time has been cut.

Keep it going Alan, between you and basketcase, I get tired seeing all you have done.

Ed

IP Logged

Reply #35 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:17am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Well I finally got some time yesterday to finish the drivers door & install the wiring harness. I used a relay & ran a direct hot wire from the battery to a relay & taped the radio ign wire to trip the relay. Only took a few minutes to do that. The passenger side should be easy know that I know what I'm up against & I already made the box for the inside of the door.

I cut the metal panel suppor & installed in the back of the door , the holes were drilled funny because I tried to find good support

I used tape on the doors , put the panel up to the door & inserted a pen to mark where the support bolt should be then put the metal bracket in place put a screw in to support the bracket & drilled the holes for the rivets

All finished

They work great Wink
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #36 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 12:29pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Looks Good.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #37 - Aug 4th, 2010 at 1:00pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I finished the passenger side today & installed new sill plates ...so everything is done  just waiting on new door lock knobs. The passenger side window is tight so I'll drive it for a bit & readjust . Not to hard now with the mod I made to the door ..the panel comes off pretty quick now.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #38 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 2:36pm
killsign65   Ex Member

I just got my 77 this week and have seemed to find posts for just about everything I have decided to do. With winter coming fast I have decided on a few things I want to get done while in storage this winter. I am getting paint done in the next week or so(for pretty much free), so that's taken care of. Then today I was driving to the gas station (after a full breakfast) and reached for the window leaver and really really wished they where electric. So this made me decide to add this to my winter project list right along with replacing the entire vacuum system for the head lights as most of mine is gone or going I figure it would just be easier to replace the whole thing. So now I have two projects that are sure things along with what ever interior work I can do. That said where did you get your inner door panels from knot?? I'm going all black so what you had would be perfect. Oh and to all those wondering how I'm going to get the body work that goes along with paint and paint itself  for pretty much free?? Well I'm close to graduating for web design and I will be trading a new web site and one years service for a premium pant job. I have chosen to go with a dark red(not sure on what exactly) with a black pearl. This leads me to yet another question which is will c5 or c6 rims fit my c3??
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2010 at 2:40pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #39 - Oct 2nd, 2010 at 11:40pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

use a VBP wheel adapter...it makes for TEN lug nutz to get to the rotor, interleaved and full strength....it makes up for the wheel depth/rubbing issues.....

for instance, 17x9.5" C4 wheels on all corners, and 2.5" VBP adapters.....255/50/17 in front 275/50/17 in back.....

http://www.vbandp.com/Wheel-Adapters/3/4-Wheel-Adapters-Pair.html ;  Corvette Wheel Adapter Kits - Designed for Corvette Wheels Install 1984 to 1996 model Corvette wheels on pre '84 model Corvettes and Camaros as well as other cars and trucks

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #40 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:12am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I for one do not like wheel adapters , I have seen them come loose & they put additional stress on bearings. Fine for show but I'd never do it on a driver. Better off modifying your trailing arms & getting the correct wheels with as 4-4.5 backspace.
Alan Smiley
Here's a good source that explains wheels, etc.
https://rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

Almost forgot , I don't remember where I got my door panels, but everyone has them.(I ordered them with out hardware) You can also take them to a local upholster & they can redo them lots cheaper.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2010 at 3:14am by 68-73 »  
IP Logged

Reply #41 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 9:53am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Are wheel 'adapters' the same thing as wheel 'spacers'? I've never used either
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2010 at 9:53am by Maximus79 »  

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #42 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 11:05am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Maximus79 wrote on Oct 3rd, 2010 at 9:53am:
Are wheel 'adapters' the same thing as wheel 'spacers'? I've never used either

Both do the same , one acts as a spacer to move the wheel out , the other adapts your bolt layout to another both layout & has to act as a spacer too. Both are dangerous.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #43 - Oct 3rd, 2010 at 4:54pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Alan, is right.  They can be dangerous, if not watched and maintained properly.  We do not use them at work and do not recommend them to anyone.  Know some who have used them without a problem, but as a rule I think that more poeple have problems with them than those who do not.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #44 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 5:14am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Had my first problem yesterday since I installed the electric windows. One of the clips broke so I couldn't open the door. Ordered new replacments Cool Not to easy for a 70yr old to climb out of a vette Roll Eyes
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.