Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Power steering leak (Read 8040 times)
Aug 6th, 2010 at 11:24am

77resto   Offline
I love my 77 Vette!
Denver,Colorado

I just replaced the power steering pump on a 80 corvette. Upon starting up the car and testing for leaks the fluid came pouring out the top of the pump. After a little while it stopped and I refilled it again and tried it out again. I am still leaking power steering fluid but not out of the pump. I should mention that I also replaced the high pressure line and see no leaks coming from there. I know that these cars have a problem leaking power steering fluid at the slave cylinder. there are several other of what appears to be high pressure lines connected to another part of the slave cylinder assembly. It does appear to have a small leak but not bad enough to be pouring fluid out as it now. Have I done something wrong during the installation that would have caused power steering fluid to back out the top of the pump. Any tech help I can get would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2010 at 8:37am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

77resto
It sounds like you might have air still in the system.  You did have the cap installed on the pump reservoir while you were bleeding the system?  Did you remove either of those short hoses between the control valve and the steering cylinder?  If your car is still original you should probably just go ahead and overhaul the control valve and cylinder like I did then it will probably cure any leaks in your system.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2010 at 7:13pm

77resto   Offline
I love my 77 Vette!
Denver,Colorado

I did no bleeding of the system at all. I wasn't aware that was required doing a power steering pump. I will try your solution and let you know how things went. Thanks for the tip!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 9th, 2010 at 2:56am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

To bleed the power steering system you need to turn the wheels both way. don't go to the stops, that is what causes some of the problems you described. eventually the air will work its way out. Good luck
Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2010 at 6:13pm

ZIPP   Offline
I love my Vette!
PITTSBURGH PA

wnmech ?? Questioning
how hard is it to rebuild the valve & cylinder?
I want to do mine but just not sure wheather to buy the rebuild or do it myself.

thanks for your help

ZIPP :

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 13th, 2010 at 2:37am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

I cant tell you how hard it is to rebuild these components, planning on doing mine this winter. But wanted to pass on the web site that gives a detailed explination on how to perform these rebuilds. http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/ Hope this helps, keep us informed.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.