Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Rear Suspension fix for sagging leaf spring - temporary ofcourse (Read 5861 times)
Nov 3rd, 2010 at 1:16pm

TX 73 gone   Offline
Top Gun Member
My Vette went to a good
home!
Sugar Land, TX

My 73 had air shocks on it when I got it which had to have been 10 years old. They would hold air and sit right at 1st but eventually gave out. I bought some standard gas shocks and replaced the 2ea 6in bolts with shorter 3 1/2 in bolts and now the car sits right and rides much smoother. Not sure how old the leafspring is but for now, this was an inexpensive fix to the sagging rear end. Just be sure to get the 5/8" fine pitch grade 8 bolts. let me know if you have questions or comments.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 9:38am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Wow something is not right.  The stock bolt is 9/16-18 X 6 3/8 long and that is tough getting in. I can't imagine a 3 1/2 in bolt and giving correct ride height. Don't forget the cotter pin in that bolt. I had nyloc's come loose on 8 inch bolts  it was not fun. K--Boom. I switch back to the stock bolts...............jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2010 at 9:53am

TX 73 gone   Offline
Top Gun Member
My Vette went to a good
home!
Sugar Land, TX

Yep, I was trying to figure out an easy way to raise it and since the leaf springs sit on those 6" long bolts, I figured shoter ones would raise it. I'm not sure the exact diameter but I got the exact same ones it had. Thought about going 1 size up but it would have been tight.  Anyway, you have about an inch of threads to play with. All the way up was too stiff so I backed them down to the bottom. I bought new cotter pins but haven't drilled the bolt as I was waiting to see where I wanted them. They didn't have a castle or nylon lock nut so I just used a standard lock washer. Been about 2 weeks and they haven't moved yet. I love this forum and will add some photo's real soon.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2011 at 10:20pm
POPA   Ex Member

MY 72 had the same problem. I cut (2, one for each side) 2 in high pieces of solid pipe that was same dia of the bushings. Then I drilled a hole through the center. I put this on the bottom of the spring. This has the same effect of shorting the bolt 2 in but I keep the original hardware. Solved the problem for now.

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.