Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

1977 Mods (Read 5734 times)
Jul 12th, 2011 at 5:23pm

350shark   Offline
Madison, WI

Hi all,

First off, I'm new to the forum.  This is a great forum, lots of good info and awesome vettes!

I have a stock L48 77, and I'm looking to de-smog it and get some more power.  I still want it to be a good street driver, so nothing too crazy, but the stock 180 hp isn't quite getting it for me  Grin I'm thinking aluminum heads, new cam, carb, and manifold.

Any advise on good combos of the above, or anything else I should look into doing, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dave

'77 L48
All stock...for now...
... ...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 5:41pm

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

Heads and a cam are a good start for some extra power. There is nothing wrong with the carb if it is tuned correctly. Some cheap easy HP can be found by re-curving the distributor if you know what to do. A good manifold can help the heads breath easier.

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 6:12am

TX 73 gone   Offline
Top Gun Member
My Vette went to a good
home!
Sugar Land, TX

Heads and cam alone will do wonders for you. Just depends on what you are looking to spend. a lot of guys keep the factory carb and as long as it's not acting up, I wouldn't change it. After market intakes are great but all your hoses and brackets may have to move. Give the disty a tune up and for sure re-curve it to advance a little sooner and you have better response. I recently bought a comp cam XS-262 cam and solid lifters. It has a noticeable idle and works great with the stock converter. anything bigger and you will loose low end torque. For the heads, changing to 64 cc and 194/150 valves should work well with your stock pistons and exhaust. You can go 202/160 but you probably you will be spending more time at the gas pump.

Charlie

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:23am

seventyate   Offline
Top Gun Member
My C3 is a "76"
Scott Township (Montdale) Pa.

Jack, not knowing what you meant by re curving a distributor I had to do a search and found this. You would know if they are right and maybe it will help some one.  Really something that if can gain you 16 to 20 HP. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/re-curving-distributor-107765.html
Ed

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:45am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

On a stock 350 I would say 36-38 degrees at 2500-2700 rpm would be best. This is easily checked with a dial back timing light. If it pings drop it a degree or 2. I always set them for max degrees & never worry about what the initial timing is. The distributor in my blue vet & dodge is a totally electronic MSD which allows me to pick from 100's of degree curves. You should also check your air fuel mixture when you are doing this & go for 12.5 to 13 on the mixture. It all sound kinda confusing but if you ever saw it done it's not really that hard.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.