Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Coverted Propane Grill To Natural Gas (Read 1271 times)
Aug 1st, 2011 at 8:00am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Well, I finally got around to converting my gas (propane) grill to natural gas. I've been saying I was gonna do it the last 4 or 5 times I ran out of propane and if I had known how easy it was, I would have done it the day I brought it home. I have a bricked in smokehouse that came with the house I bought last year so I already had the extra gas line. All I had to do was move the grill to that side of the house and make a pad out of old bricks to set it on and run the gas line to it and that's it. At first, it would only run the 1st burner and I found out that natural gas had much less pressure than the propane so I removed the 4 orifaces and drilled them out to increase the flow and that was it. I also fixed the igniter that came loose. Wish I would have taken some photo's but if anyone has questions, I'd be happy to take it apart and shoot some. Cooked steaks last night and they turned out great. I was going thru a tank every 2 months and the gas should be much cheaper. These days, every bit helps.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 9:35am

68-73   Online
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I've got a chart on how big to drill the holes somewhere. I'll look for it. I've got to do it with my grill...it's very big Weber & burns through the propane  (9 burners)
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 1st, 2011 at 10:08am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I just used the smallest drill bit I had and it seems fine. Lucked out really. on low it's enough to keep the coals warm and doesn't blow out and high seems like it's fine too. The orifices or jets it has are cone shaped and the bit I used was almost the size of their ID and I couldn't have gone much bigger it that's what it would have needed. I was going to use a thicker supply line but the 1/8 that I had seems ok. However, I just have 4 burners so if you have more, you may wwant to go to the next size up.

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.