Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

AC Blower Motor (Read 2367 times)
Aug 11th, 2011 at 1:12pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I probably should have posted this on off topics but didn't want to jump in front of Alan's new used balancer. Last night the wife and I smelled smoke in the house, looked around and didn't find anything burning so we went on with our lifes. An hour later, she told me it was 88 deg upstairs and heard a humming noise. Well, come to find out the blower motor in the furnace went out. We just had a new 16 seer system installed in October so I was eager to call sears this morning. The night wasn't too bad and luckily it waited till about 9PM to crap out. Got ahold of Sears this morning and come to find out I didn't get a furnace, just coil and condenser. Their repair guy quoted me $475 and would not be out till tomorrow. Called another place and they were $400 but couldn't make it till Monday. So, I pulled the old motor out, tested it to make sure it was bad, went on line and found one at Grainger for $98, picked it up, installed it and it works like a champ. Only took me 2 hours but I had to take 5 breaks cause of the heat. Anyway, if you have the same problem, it's only a few wires and screws and you too can save $300+.

Charlie
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2011 at 1:14pm by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 2:52am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Glad it turned out to be an easy fix, what some people charge for repairs is just amazing. Had the same issue a couple of years ago with the fan motor inside my A/C unit, when I replaced it I saved myself over $400.00 and having to live four days in a hot house.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 5:44am
blue 77   Ex Member

77vette wrote on Aug 12th, 2011 at 2:52am:
Glad it turned out to be an easy fix,

Ditto here, Charlie. Wink 

Those fixes you can do yourself are always cheaper and faster than waiting on the repairman.

STAY COOL Grin

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 5:06pm

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Charlie
Way to go.  Glad you were able to make the repairs yourself and saved lots of cash.  I also like to try to repair everything myself.  I hate getting screwed by the man.  I will at least disassemble and troubleshoot things and hopefully fix it myself.  I figure try it on my own no harm no foul.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Aug 12th, 2011 at 6:14pm

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

Glad you got it done. I hate having to rely on others for simple things but I am never sorry for paying to have things done that I can not handle. If it aint broke don't fix it,If it is broke then what do you have to loose?
Jump right in there and get it done. Cheesy

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.