1977 
Corvette







 
  WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  
 
 
GE Combo Microwave (Read 3300 times)
Oct 10th, 2011 at 6:23am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

 
The house I bought last year had a GE microwave with grill and convection. The unit was mfg in 05. about 2 months ago, the wife said she went to nuke some popcorn and it shot flames out of the right side. I hit the breaker and reset and it seemed to work fine. Last week though, the thing just quit heating. I went online and found this to be a normal problem for this model. I removed the cover and started checking fuses and narrowed it down to the magnetron. These are about $150 and I could get a new microwave for about that. Then I remembered I had an old microwave in the attick that we were saving for a rainy day so I decided to steal the magnetron from it and see if it worked in the other. It was about the same size but the brackets did not mate. But I wasn't gonna let it beat me. After a little bending and drilling, I was able to securely mount it, pot it back together and it works like a champ. The end of the broken one was all melted so I guess I can believe the wifes story. There's an uneven panel inside where the end butts up to and I think it created too much heat and blew out. I still have it and will add a photo to this later. I looked and there's really no way to fix that so we'll see how long this one lasts.

Charlie
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2011 at 6:25am by N/A »  
IP Logged
 
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 7:08am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

 
Well Rat's. Cought on fire again. Must be something causing a power surge or something. I really liked the idea of a grill, convection and microwave but never used the other features anyway. Guess the $75 Im making selling my old dryer this afternoon will go towards a new microwave. Oh well, maybe I'll take the parts out and turn it into an arc welder or something.  Angry

Charlie
 
IP Logged
 
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 12:51pm
blue 77   Ex Member

 
Charlie, maybe you better quit before you burn your house down. Shocked Grin

Dale
 
IP Logged
 
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 4:25pm
class of 77   Ex Member

 
Charlie you got 6 years and 2 extra days out of that micro. Be glad you got that long of service out of it. The way things are built today anything over 1 year and the warranty is good.  Bob
 
IP Logged
 
Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:16am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Gender: male
Posts: 2804
*****
 
Charlie
Sounds like it's time to give that old microwave oven a decent burial.
Rick
 
IP Logged
 
Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 11:32am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Gender: male
Posts: 8609
*****
 
There's high voltage in microwaves & if you touch the wrong thing you can die....I think I'd just trash it. Seems like they don't last to long anymore. I remember when things were built to last a lifetime, but that is a thing of the past they are designed to ware out now. Sad
Alan Smiley
 
IP Logged
 
Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 12:29pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

 
With no regards to the sticky note I had on it, my youngest cooked a hot pocket in it last night and my wife made a bag of popcorn and it worked totally fine.  Huh  That's how it did the first time it had it's lil melt down and I'm sure it won't be long now. I found a few at Home Depot that fit the hole and match the other appliances so I'm going to swap it out this weekend. When working on it, the 1st thing you have to do is discharge the capacitor and that makes a pretty loud pop but if you don't, it can hit you pretty damn hard.  I'd miss you guys if it ended up killing me  Sad

Charlie
 
IP Logged
 
Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2011 at 7:44am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

 
Just an update, never got around to changing this and it still works like a champ. Hasn't shined it's bright light in a while and no one has anything weird growing on them so I guess it's all good for now. Put new batteries in the smoke detectors  and the insurance is all paid up so it's all good at the moment.

Charlie
 
IP Logged
 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.