Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

GE Not so smart Smart water heater (Read 3769 times)
Dec 14th, 2011 at 2:18pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Well, last night my 4 year old GE smart water heater quit working. This is a natural gas heater and the pilot light lights up fine and the burner cuts on correctly but after a few seconds, it shuts off. Did some research and this thing basically has it's own forum there's so many complaints. Called GE and they emailed me instructions and wants me to remove the burner and then give them a call back. Froze my butt off this morning in the shower  Shocked so I'm hoping I can get it working again soon. Anyone here have a similar problem??

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 5:28am
blue 77   Ex Member

Quote:
Froze my butt off this morning in the shower

Charlie, I can relate to those cold showers, since it was only a couple of months ago when I had to take them because of my leaking gas line. Smiley Smiley

Hopefully you can get it repaired and working again quickly. Wink  Cold showers in December are not fun. Grin  Good luck.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 6:35am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Charlie
That sux not having warm water whats even worse that there is already a forum for them. I am I guess fortunite to be all electric and my water heater can be troubleshot with a voltmeter.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 6:47am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Well, I got home last night and removed the burner assembly, called GE and told them that the TRD was still intact so they said OK, we are sending you a new gas valve and you will have it Friday morning. So, I'm very happy with GE and the whole deal was hassle free. Now, being the stubborn SOB that I am, I decided to crank up the compressor and blow the whole thing out with the air hose. I was amazed by the amount of debris that blew out. I also cleaned the burner assembly and blew out the lines and decided to disassemble the gas valve ( regulator) to see if I could bypass the pilot valve so I could heat the tank up and have everyone take showers. Got the front off but couldn't remove the pilot valve due to security screws so I broke the locks and turned the valve from the bottom about 1/2 turn each way and put it all back together and to my surprise, it works like a champ. Must have been a clogged line because I could never get the flame to burn like it does now. I'm still gonna change it out when the new part comes in but it works for now.

Charlie  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 8:49am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Awesome! Sounds like you now have some spare parts!
Nice!

Glad things are working for you!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 2:23pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

It's a good thing to get some of these large companies to do the right thing.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 15th, 2011 at 2:46pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Quote:
So, I'm very happy with GE and the whole deal was hassle free.

Charlie, wonder if they did that because of the "forum" with all the complaints or if they were trying to to the "right thing" for a consumer?  Kind of hard to believe if there have been that many complaints about the heaters that G.E. has been this helpful to everyone. Shocked

But at least it worked out great for you in this case. Wink  Enjoy the hot showers again this weekend. Grin Grin

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 6:10am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I'm sure they are quite aware of the forums and you can type my model number in and get tons of results. I must say, I was very pleased when they told me they were over nighting the part. I expected to have to pay for shipping at least and go thru a bunch of red tape but they took care of it no questions asked. I called them twice and both times only had to hold for a minute or so and both conversations took less than 3 minutes each. Great customer service for this and you can bet I'll be writing to them thanking then for their cooperation.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 2:19pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Charlie, that's truly amazing. Shocked  It is great when a company follows through with customer service. Wink  Now-a-days it is a little unexpected, as most companies just tried to blow you off or B.S. you to the point you give up. Sad

Congratulations on a GOOD experience with a big company's customer service department. Wink

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 8:22am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Charlie
Thats great that you were able to get it back on line.  Can you imagine what a service call would of cost.  It is also good that G.E. is standing behind their product.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2011 at 11:43am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Its just too bad they have a jackass like Jeffry Immelt running it,& shipping jobs to China!

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2011 at 12:53pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Yep, On the first call when they asked me for my address, I thought for sure they would want to send a repair guy out but they took my word on everything. The parts showed up Friday that came with a new valve and also a kit that had the gasket, screws, clips and even a screw driver. Fixin to drain the tank and install it and I'll be good to go. I'm very happy.  Smiley

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2011 at 5:23am
blue 77   Ex Member

AWESOME!! Glad things worked out so well for you Charlie. Wink

Dale

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.