Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Left rear brake distribution block, one time use? (Read 2506 times)
Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:37am
Alden   Ex Member

Can it be re-used or should it be replaced?  Does the fitting (brass) conform to the connection and should not be used again?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:29am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

It can be used again as long as it doesn't leak..I assume you are talking about break lines.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:33am
blue 77   Ex Member

At work we routinely recommend replacement as best option.  However, in cases when replacements are not readily available or customer wants to avoid replacing them, we have reused some.

It is important to carefully clean the ports with solvent, small brush, and compressed air. 
Then closely inspect the cone shaped seat in the ports for any damage, even slight damage can cause leaking problems.  Most common type damage to the seat is from a previous crush ring which was off-centered.  Even after cleaning if the seats look bad it is highly recommended to replace.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 11:49am
Alden   Ex Member

Yes, I'm talking about the brake lines.  I was told that the distribution block is made of brass and that the nut on the hose/hard line will seat into the brass and thus make it a one time use item.  I'm replacing from the LR dist. block (new rubber hose, hard line and caliper).  I'll re-use it and check for leaks.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2012 at 12:19pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I've replaced break lines on many cars & have only replaced the blocks when they seem damaged. Always check for leaks after everything is done & you stood on the pedal.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 31st, 2012 at 6:18am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I removed all my lined and the blocks and it just needed a good cleaning. Put it all back on and no leaks.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 4:13pm
ChiTownAL   Ex Member

I'm about to undertake replacing the proportioning valve and all the rear break lines & blocks.

All 4 calipers and flex lines have been previously replaced, as has the front break lines, and master cylinder!

Is there anything unusual I have to worry about replacing the long break line going to the rear axle, crossover, blocks etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Will be working on a lift, so it shouldn't be a problem. I hope!!

ChiTownAL

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 4:39am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Cover the ends of your lines with tape, rubber bands etc to keep dirt out. The cross over in the frt is tricky & the long one going back. Just take your time & you'll get-her-done. I was lucky I had the engine out to replace the frt cross over line. One of the safest & best things you can do to these cars. Are you going stainless lines?
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.