Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Z06 Electric Driver's Seat Wires (Read 5450 times)
Feb 19th, 2012 at 2:38pm

Bill Davies   Offline
Colorado Springs, CO

Hey guys. Been traveling for work, so I haven't had a chance to get on here much. Now that I'm back, I have a question tho.

The previous owner put some 2001 (I think) Z06 seats in the 76. He didn't wire up the electrical driver's seat tho.

It only has the one switch that moves the seat forward, backward, up and down.

There is a box under the seat with 3 plugs. The wires from the 3 plugs from that, run to the motors and switch. And I have one set of wires that I assume went to the car's power/ground.

Orange (looks "fatter" maybe 16 gauge)
Orange ("skinny" maybe 18 gauge)
Black with White stripe (maybe 18 gauge)
Black with White Stripe (maybe 18 gauge) looks same as the other
Solid Black ("fatter" maybe 16 gauge)

I'm not great with wire gauges so I might be off a little...16 and 14 maybe?

Any idea what these wires are? 12v, 12v ignition, grnd?

I could get a pic if anyone needs it...

Thanks much in advance!
« Last Edit: Feb 19th, 2012 at 2:41pm by Bill Davies »  

Bill
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2012 at 3:18pm
blue 77   Ex Member

I don't have power seats and not great with gauge either. Wink  I know some of the guys can answer the questions without them, but pictures sure couldn't hurt.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 4:38am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

You will have to get the electrical dia of the 2001 seats to know what wire goes where for sure. I put electric Saab seats in my 67 Dodge & they work fine...so it can be done. If you have a friend that has access to alldata ask him to print out the spec for you. Them we can go from there.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 6:12am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I agree. Get a wiring diagram. From there it is usually pretty easy to wire up.
I added a 60/40 power seats to my Ford F150 XL. Once I had the wiring diagram, I was set to go!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 7:44am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

You probably only need 1 set of orange and black to work them. What kind of switch does it have? Single for each seat ot multiple? Maybe an extra height, backrest or lumbar that he didn't plan on hooking up. try and get a diagram and play with the wires and see what all moves.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 11:21am

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

Like the others have said, it is very difficult to know what wires do what without a drawing. The fact that there are wires of the same color just means they operate different things. For every electrical circuit you need power supply and a ground. So it may be that the orange wires move everything in one direction while the black/white wire moves it in the other direction. So maybe the large black wire is the supply and the seat base is the common ground.
This is just a guess but a voltage/ohms meter could be used to test the wires to see.
But what ever you do, do not hook 12volt power to a direct ground. Make sure you have a fuse in the line just in case.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2012 at 11:24am by Redwingvette »  

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2012 at 11:45am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I rigged up a wire with an old 12v turn signal bulb so if I hook it up wrong, the light comes on. hasn't failed me yet.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 4:05am
seventyate   Ex Member

If that seat came out of a car with memory control, you will need to determine what wires are for that and probably have to eliminate it if you don't have the system to use it. I know on my 04 I have memory and it remembers all the seat locations for memory 1 and memory 2. So not being an electrical person, I would just assume some wires are inputs and others are outputs to the memory if so equipped.
Ed

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 11:04am

Bill Davies   Offline
Colorado Springs, CO

Thanks guys. I have looked around for a wire diagram and came up empty on the web. I was kinda hoping someone here might have a service manual with a diagram/schematic showing the wire colors.  Tongue

The switch, control box, and wiring between the control box to/from the switch and motors is all there. I don't think it has memory, airbag, lumbar, or heat. At least I couldn't see anything to indicate that it does. It's about as basic an electrical seat as I've seen (only one multi-directional switch). I suppose the car could have had the memory and heat buttons on the dash but I dunno how to determine that.

It looks like they just cut off the "final" plug that goes to the main harness under the carpet and that is where the wires I listed above came from. So, I just need a diagram showing the pin out for that final plug (hopefully showing wire color and gauge since the plug itself has been cut off). Any suggestions on where to get one of those diagrams?

Bill
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2012 at 8:41pm

Bill Davies   Offline
Colorado Springs, CO

If it helps, here are the pics I mentioned...

The Seat

The Control Box

The Wires In Question

Random Pic Of The Control Box and Wire Harness  Tongue
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2012 at 8:43pm by Bill Davies »  

Bill
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 6:35am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Seriously, I'd ground the black one and then touch the other wires individually to a 12v fused source and see what they do. gotta be forward, backward, seat up, seat down and ground.

Charlie

P.S. Cool looking seat by the way.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 7:02am

Bill Davies   Offline
Colorado Springs, CO

I'm about to that point Charlie. LoL

After looking at the pic's, I realized one of the "Black with White stripe" wires listed above is actually "Poop color with a White stripe" and that is the seatbelt dinger. And I found a bunch of info on a C6 seat that shows Black as ground and a Red as 12v. Sooooo, that sorta reinforces my initial assumption that the fattie Orange is 12v and the fattie Black is ground. I just don't know what the skinny Orange and the one Black with White stripe are.

I suppose fattie Orange could be constant 12v and skinny Orange could be ingnition 12v, but I can't think of why it might need that, so I think it best to avoid hooking anything to skinny Orange and skinny Black with White stripe.

I may just wire up the fatties and see what it does. I suppose the worst that can happen is that I pop a fuse or burn up that little control box. Tongue

Bill
IP Logged

Reply #12 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 7:13am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Well, if it has memory then the fatty orange is your constant 12v and the skinny is ignition. If you use a tester or make one like I did with a 12v bulb then you won't blow up the box. That's the last thing you want to do. Can't believe you haven't found a schematic on the things. Bummer.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 7:24am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

This was really bothering me. Here, take a look at this:
http://www.kawal.net/power%20seats.htm

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2012 at 7:40am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Quote:
This was really bothering me. Here, take a look at this:
[url]http://www.kawal.net/power seats.htm[/url]

Charlie

That is a pretty cool writeup.
I can not speak to the accuracy but it looks really good!

Scott

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.