Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Half shaft safety loops (Read 7148 times)
Feb 25th, 2012 at 7:11am
orange77   Ex Member

Hi all
Does any one know where I can buy hafl shaft safety loops.

Thanks
Gil

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 8:04am
blue 77   Ex Member

Gil, sure there is more than one place, but the one I've heard about is Dragvette.  Here's a link for them
http://www.dragvette.com/products.htm

Good luck. 

Dale
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2012 at 8:08am by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 8:13am

Binnie   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Side Pipes Rock!

Those are the ones that Alan and I have.  They are easy to install and a great piece of mind  Smiley

1977 ZZ4, 650 Speed Demon, 1.6 Rollers, Patriot Headers, TKO-500, Wilwood Brake Calipers & Master, Hydroboost, Hydraulic Clutch, Steeroids, Composite Monosprings, Bilstein Sports, DeWitts Rad

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 10:28am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I will be installing them on the 73 real soon. This is what happens when a half shaft breaks loose & the loop is there to protect the rear. It's a sickening feeling & those loops might have saved my life. Cars with loads of TQ  that hook are just asking for it.  Jack was with me that day he had flew in from Washington State . I was showing him how good it hooks in 2nd gear.  Jack can't hear but he sure felt the bang...his eyeballs got real big Grin

Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2012 at 4:48pm
orange77   Ex Member

Thanks for the link Dale.

I am taking my trailing arms and rear to be rebuilt tomorrow.
Going to Gees corvette here in Pa, will save alot on shipping.
They are a three hour drive from home and the price is right.

Thanks for the replies.
Gil

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 26th, 2012 at 6:56am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I broke a driveshaft in my 74 camaro but luckily it happened the instant I dumped the clutch so I never got going. I probably need to get the loops on mine for as many burnouts I do. Great idea.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 9:27am

Bill Davies   Offline
Colorado Springs, CO

Ouch. I'd hate to see what it does without loops...

Bill
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2012 at 9:42am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Bill Davies wrote on Feb 27th, 2012 at 9:27am:
Ouch. I'd hate to see what it does without loops...

It destroys the whole rear section of the vet plus the driver or passenger is in serious danger if the half shaft or parts come off . I've seen pictures of what happens & lots of times the car is totaled especially if you are really in the high RPM's...remember that shaft doesn't stop turning until the car comes to a complete stop. This usually happen on c-3's that are normal 350's & the owner installs a more powerful engine & doesn't upgrade the drive train. I was only going about 35mph &  in the 2K RPM range. It felt like a bomb going off. Shocked
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2012 at 5:12pm
orange77   Ex Member

I placed an order with Drad vette on Monday for a set of half shaft safety loops and a drive shaft safety loop and they were delivered on Wednesday.
Thats fest service.

Gil

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 6:09am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Might be time to remove my shafts, clean them up real good and inspect for cracks and replace the u-joints. And then install the loops. Although I only drive 2 miles a day, the tach pretty much stays in the red the whole time. Cheesy

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2012 at 2:37pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Quote:
I placed an order with Drad vette on Monday for a set of half shaft safety loops and a drive shaft safety loop and they were delivered on Wednesday.
Thats fest service.

Gil

Awesome Gil. Wink When do you think you will get them installed?

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 20th, 2012 at 11:45am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I ordered drive shaft & 1/2 shaft loop a few weeks ago for the 73 & am in the process of installing them now. not to hard but you have to loosen & take things  off trailing arm to swing it out a little to slip the loop past the 1/2 shaft. I've done this before so the 2nd time is lots easier.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 8:11am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

You can also slip the 1/2 shafts up through the inside u joints, but be careful the caps don't come off. I chose to weld mine at the top instead of drilling to holes & inserting bolts.

The drive shaft loop is pretty easy...just 2 bolts. I did find some loose bolts which is not uncommon with the way these cars shake. I used a thread locker on every bolt & always do.

Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2012 at 9:02am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Sucker looks tough and secure that's for sure.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 5:52am
orange77   Ex Member

I did not install my safety loops yet . Im still waiting for my trailing arms and diferintial to get done should be soon .

Gil

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.