Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

First Project (Read 2426 times)
Mar 11th, 2012 at 8:07am

Dex   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Alabama

This is my first project on my 78. I just purchased this car and it had 0 brakes. The M/C was covered with rust inside and out and looked to be full of rusty water rather than fliud. I have bench bleed a new M/C and was wondering before I started going any farther if...I open all bleeders, fill M/C with fluid and leave for a day or two would gravity push  particals out of the lines before i start to bleed? I expect to have issues with the calipers as dirty as the M/C was..Thank You
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012 at 8:10am by Dex »  

Dex
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 8:39am
class of 77   Ex Member

Dex  Many things to consider, the main culprit of rust in the M/C is the original calipers leak around the pistons and let in moisture causing the rust in the M/C so they are probably bad. You can probably blow out the lines with air but you don't want force the crud into the metering block in the back of the car. You will also have to probably replace the flexible lines to each caliper. Then check all the metal lines as if you have rusty water in the M/C it may have started to corrode the inside of those lines as well. Good luck on your inspections. Bob   P.s. I'm sure other members will also chime in Smiley.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 8:52am

Dex   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Alabama

Thanks for the reply.. I am really expecting to find the calipers leaking ...I will just have to get it up on stands and see where I am with it...The only thing that threw me was when i peeped under the car there was no signs of fluid on the inside side walls?..

Dex
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 11:13am
blue 77   Ex Member

Dex, how long did the car sit? Sad  Knowing the brake problems common to these cars, I would consider replacing all the brake components. Undecided  Rust in the M/C probably means rusty lines, leaky calipers, and other items needing replacement.  If you can't stop the vette you can't drive the vette.  Better to do the brakes all at once than one part at a time. Wink

Dale 

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 12:44pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I'd also do like Dale said replace everything & go  with stainless steel lines. It will take some time but well worth it in the long run. You might also consider using Dot 5 break fluid which is silicone based. This will eliminate ever getting water in the break system again & really good for cars that sit.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 11th, 2012 at 1:25pm

Dex   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Alabama

Thanks for the great tips....I am shopping now for a good package deal. I have read here a few has went went SS calipers and Orings with very good luck.
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2012 at 1:28pm by Dex »  

Dex
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 5:12am
blue 77   Ex Member

Dex wrote on Mar 11th, 2012 at 1:25pm:
SS calipers and Orings with very good luck

Stainless steel and Oring is the only way to go on the calipers. Smiley  I was constantly have brake issues (leaking, low or no pedal) due to the OE design.  After switching there have not been any problems with the brake system (no leaks and pedal is always up and firm). Wink

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 8:31am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Hey Dex,

I was able to rebuild my fronts and so far so good. I actually did one of the rears as it was leaking and it hasn't leaked since. Friday I had to stomp on my brakes in the rain and only the left front locked up. luckily I had room to swirve into the next lane. I decided I would finally get around to bleeding the system and I was getting no fluid to the right rear. After a couple hours, I narrowed it down to the rubber brake hose. Must have collapsed. Drove around for an hour and Orielly had them in stock. I'm gonna replace all 4. I also left the hose off and fluid freely flowed out of the block. I went ahead and got a big bottle and am going to flush the system. Leaving work to finish everything so I'll have an update. All new components is your best bet but if you're on a tight budget, You can find parts to rebuild the calipers as long as the cylinders aren't pitted.

Good luck either way,
Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2012 at 4:45pm

Dex   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Alabama

Charlie have you had a chance to try it out yet?...I will be pulling my calipers off mine this Weekend to check them for pitting.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2012 at 5:12pm by Dex »  

Dex
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2012 at 6:14am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I replaced the hose and now have fluid going to all calipers. I still don't have a hard pedal though and the drivers side front locks up while nothing else does. I think I still have air in the lines. I bled them last night but used a 1 man bleeder and I don't think it gets all the air out. I probably need to check my master cylinder too.

Any one know how to test the system to make sure you are getting the proper pressure?

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.