Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Mushy Brakes (Read 3717 times)
Mar 16th, 2012 at 7:26am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Hey guys,

I finally got around to bleeding the brakes and the pedal is still mushy as ever and the pedal goes all the way to the floor. The brake warning light does work. I used a 1 man bleeder and a good bit of air came out of each valve. I do know that the reservoir for the rear got dry but I pumped 3 bottles of fluid thru the system. Haven't tried bleeding the master cylinder so I'll try that tinight if I can get one of my kids away from the TV for a minute. I also have a broken bleeder valve in one of the calipers. It's the drivers side rear inboard. can I get all the air out with just the outboard bleeder or do I need to drill and re-tap? This is the only thing keeping me from getting it inspected and I'd really like to have a valid sticker on it not to mention being able to stop in the rain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 8:03am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

If the M/C got dry it needs to be redone again.. You will also have to drill & tap to get all the air out of the rear caliper.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 8:34am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Broken bleeder screw = caliper replacement unless you are extremely lucky, if so buy a lottery ticket in my name. Cheesy............jack

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2012 at 10:55am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

The passengers side has one of those bleeder repair kits on it and I got one out of the help section. gonna try an easy out first and maybe I'll get lucky and not have to do it but in case it goes bad, I have the repair kit on stand by. Just have to buy a 21/64 bit and a 1/4" NIP tap. I went to 5 stores looking for the drill bit and tap but nada.  but the day I goose chasd for the brake hose, Oriely had stock and the bit and tap so now it's just a matter of doing it.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:14pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Had the same problem with mine a two years ago, I had to bleed the master cylinder to make sure all the air was removed. Once this was done I redid the wheel cylinders again going from passengers side in side to outside then to the drivers and so forth. Remember there are two bleeders per caliper. I tried to tap the bleeders out and ended up replacing the caliper, hope you have better luck than I did.
Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2012 at 11:14am
blue 77   Ex Member

77vette wrote on Mar 17th, 2012 at 3:14pm:
I tried to tap the bleeders out and ended up replacing the caliper,

I think that is the best way to go. Wink  Extremely hard to tap out the bleeder and get it right. Sad

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 6:24am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Well, I tried an easy out which broke off into the drilled out bleeder. took forever to chisel it out without wollering out the hole. Bought my drill bit and tap and had new threads in about 15 min. couldn;t believe how easy and smooth it went. would have done this the instant I say the broken bleeder if I had known this. installed the base and then the new bleeder valve and was finally able to get all of the air out of the rear. Finally it stops! I need to do the front again just to make sure I got all the air out but what a differeence.

Also since I had the rear end jacked up, I re-positioned the e-brake brackets and now have a good half inch clearance from the tires. I was even able to remove those washers I had on the studs and feel more comfortable that the wheel is now flush with the rotor.
Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 2:14pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Charlie,
Glad things worked out for you, Things never work out that way for me. Went through two easy outs and drill bits and still ended up buy a new caliper.
Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2012 at 2:38pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Thanks Ron, by the time it came down to run the 21/64 drill bit, the hole was damn near that size already and a bit larger the 1st few threads but that made it easier to tap. I really lucked out to get er done with no leaks.

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.