Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
The C-5 (Read 5388 times)
Mar 22nd, 2012 at 4:09pm
seventyate   Ex Member

Got the C5 out today, washed it, and took it for it's long overdo inspection sticker.  Only put 1,200 miles on it last year due to medical reasons, my wife not the car, hoping to make up for it this year.   And if this spring is any sign of us having a nice summer the cars will be out.
Ed

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 6:01am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Awesome timing! Yesterday here was cold but pretty nice! We too got the vettes out and washed them up! Tonight we have boat plans but this weekend is looking GREAT! Below freezing at night but well into the upper 50's in the day! Woo hoo! I'm tempted to take the top of Sharky!

Sorry to here about the health issues. Hopefully you've gone past that!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 8:34am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

it's about time we all had some clear weather. we had a very weak winter but if it wasn't cold it was wet so really looking forward to spring ( early summer for us texan's )

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 11:05am
blue 77   Ex Member

Ed, hard to believe the weather in PA is that good this early in the year. Shocked  A little unusual isn't it?  Also hope the wife's health problems are behind her now. Wink  Good luck.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2012 at 5:16pm
seventyate   Ex Member

Our weather has been terrific. No heat on in the house and sitting on the deck and enjoying the warmth.  Suppose to change except I hope not too bad as a lot of things are budding.
Was going to head up Gils today with the C5, but I backed the 78 out in the sun to heat the dash up so I could get the trim piece in it around the wiper switch only to find out the wipers don't work now. Could be a fuse but with the dash still apart I can work on it. Not much to say about the C5 except it is a very nice driver.  It is a 04 Commemorative Edition Conv.  14000 miles on it.  Need to do some driving with it this year. Amazing for the power it has that on the highway it can get 29 MPG.
Ed

Dale, my wife has improved a lot.  Been a tough two years on her, one heart operation is enough when you are are older but two really sets you back and lengthens the recovery time.  Thanks for asking.
Ed

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 24th, 2012 at 7:30pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Quote:
my wife has improved a lot

That's really great news.  I'm sure one heart operation is more than anyone would want to go through.  Two is more than most people should have to endure.  Have her continue to follow the doctors instructions and advice and I'm sure all will turn out for the best.  God Bless you both and stay strong for her Ed.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:46am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Glad to hear she is doing better! That is great!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 8:27am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Ed it's good the hear your better half is doing better & I hope you both get some cruising in this summer.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2012 at 5:36pm
orange77   Ex Member

Ed, that sure is a sharp Vette. Bring it around and take me for a quick ride .That will give me a good reason to get out from under mine.

Painted the frame with Chassis saver and
rustolium spray paint for frame's that I bought at an auto paint store.

Gil

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 3:21pm
seventyate   Ex Member

Just go back from our son's.  We took the C-5 up.  Great running car on a trip like that (330 miles).  The only problem with it and I heard it's caused by the Goodyear run flats, it picks up a lot of road noise.  I don't know if it's the tires or being a convertible.  I heard there are some other brands of run flats that are quieter so when I change them I will have to look into that.
Ed
And being that the car runs 17's on the front and 18's on the back with no spare you need to run the run flats.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 5:26pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Ed, I've always heard convertibles are noiser than coupes or hardtops.  Guess that just a trade off for having a convertible. Undecided The "cool factor" should outweigh the noise. Wink

We don't sell run flats but have some people complain about the noise.  Usually it's when they have decided not to go back with the run flats.  Some of the BWM's have stopped using them and also do not have a spare.  Talked to a BMW rep about it.  He's response was "if they can afford a BWM they are not changing a tire, they're calling AAA to replace it". Roll Eyes

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2012 at 10:34pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

Ed, I think the tires are a secondary contributor to the road noise issue, with the C-5  road noise is inherent due to the fact that the rear end is completely open, if you ever saw a C-5 with the rear bumper off, you can see right into the center console, there is no fuel tank (they are in the frame rails) no spare tire (run flats eliminated that) so either one, coupe or converible will be noisy at highway speeds. they did improve the sound deadening insulation as the series went on and there is a load of difference between a 1997 and a 2004 and the C-6'S are even better. I personally have driven a 1998 and a 2004 and can you this is very true.
..................Chris   Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 4:28am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

First thing I noticed when I drove a C-5  ( NOISE)
I priced run flats & the cheapest was $218.00 frt & $270 rear. The cheapest non run flats were $85.00 frt & $124.00 rear. So if it was me I'd get a AAA membership & save money. I don't have a spare in any of my vetts just a AAA card.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 5:46am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

I like the handling of the Goodyear run flats best but I put on a set of Michelin Pilots a few year ago and so far I have over 67,000 on them. The 1st 2 sets of Goodyears I got 32,000 and then around 31,000 per set.  The pilots got over twice the milage and they were several hundred dollars cheaper and they run a bit quieter as well. They are ready to be replaced but they do still have some tread on them.
I LOVE our C-3 but the C-5, AHHH now THAT's a driving car!!  I have over 138,000 miles on it and she still runs great.
Y'all have a great week.
Robert   Cool
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2012 at 5:48am by jetmender »  

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 11th, 2012 at 6:03am
seventyate   Ex Member

Thanks for the advice.  Chris, mine is a 04 and I guess I am driving the quietest of the C-5's.  I worked in a paper mill and we had rolls that run nipped together, one would be steel and the other rubber and I know that the longer they ran the harder the outer shell would get so I am assuming rubber on tires is not different.
Was not aware of the fuel being in the frame. I seen a C-5 frame set up in Kerbecks in AC and it was there to show you the set up.
Ed

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.