Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Where to start. (Read 1549 times)
Mar 25th, 2012 at 1:24pm

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

It is long over due for some paint work.
The car was last painted by a body shop back in 1985. The PO had it stripped and changed the color from 947 Elkhart Green to 976 Mille Miglia Red. They used a urethane based paint without clear coat.
The paint is faded with a lot of stone chips.
I want to start removing the paint and was wondering if I should just sand it off. If so, what grit sandpaper should I use to start.
I do not believe the paint is on very thick.
The shop did not do nay repairs to the surface before they painted it. I am not sure they even used a primer. Several areas have been over buffed to the point where they is very little color.
Thanks

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2012 at 2:48pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I chemically removed the paint on the 73.That had 3 paint jobs done to it. When it came time to do the 77 I chose to sand it by hand. I new it just had the original paint so it wasn't that bad. I suggest doing it by hand because if you don't do it everyday you risk the chance of more work doing it with a DA sander.
   Find yourself DURA sanding blocks the 1 inch round and nice flat block will work well.You can find them on ebay. You'll find yourself using the round block more only because of the body lines of the car.
   I started with 220 dry open cut paper then work up to a finer grit. You can start with a lower grit but you have to watch you don't start digging into the glass = "more work"
   The trick is to know when to bump up to the next grit before you get to glass. When you get close to the glass switch over to wet sanding. The beautifull thing about sanding the vette you don't have to worry about getting primer on it right away. The 77 took me 6 wks to sand and prep the body. Be patient the prep is everything in a paint job..................jack

And anybody with urethane bumpers. They are a joke to sand. Pretty much like sanding jello Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 4:36am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

My 2 cents, paint is best left to the pros including the prep work on a fiberglass car. Metal is a whole different monster. It can mean the difference between a real head turner & a ho hum look.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 6:17am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

If I was to re-paint mine, I'd probably do the prep work myself but I have done a lot of painting and am real good at feathering and transitioning. with the Vette being soft, I'd really take my time on it. chances are, the glass is OK so it's just a matter of getting the paint off and all smoothed out. then I'd take it somewhere to have them paint it. that front end is huge and you're bound to get a lot of overspray if you aren't careful and then your wet sanding skills had better be top notch. I'd get a few estimates before I dug into it.

Good luck and BTW, you going with the same red or what?
Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2012 at 4:20pm

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

I am staying red but probably a different shade, something a little less tomato/orange.
My brother has been working on Viper after market parts so he will be assisting me with the repair portion of the project. I will be leaving the painting to a pro. There is just a lot of little cracks and lots of stone chips that need to be addressed.
Thanks for the help guys.

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:36am
blue 77   Ex Member

FIRE ENGINE RED!! Grin  Wink
Good luck with the project, Brian. Wink  Looking forward to seeing photos of your new paint. How long do you think it will take?

Dale
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2012 at 5:37am by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2012 at 7:11am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

when I had my 78TA painted and changed from black to red, the guy asked, what red do you want and I told him "red red" luckily, it came out perfect.

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.