Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

emergency brake (Read 2514 times)
Apr 28th, 2012 at 3:06am

Theo the Venlonaar   Offline
I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

Having trouble adjusting the emergency brake. All new stainles steel, also a new cable(rear).
It doesn't work smoothly and I can't get tension on the cable.
This is the only problem to go, together with the pitman arm.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 3:43am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Did you look a the ER break shoes & the drum? If that's all OK then the easiest fix is to move & re-weld the brackets that are attached to the trailing arm to get the proper tension. If you do this I would suggest re welding them on the top so if you decide to go top a larger tire in the future in won't hit the tire.
Alan Smiley

You could always do what I did ...still works great
http://108.60.3.46/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1238682246
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2012 at 3:51am by 68-73 »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 1:00pm

Theo the Venlonaar   Offline
I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

Alan,
I rewelded the brackets an inch or so into the front direction. Damn, I had to do some finishing touch because they came close to the tires, just like the mickey mouse clamps. Maybe buy spacers to put the wheels more outside (in the future, if needed.)
Anyway, there's tension on the cable and it seems to be o.k. now.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 1:37pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Don't use spacers...not a good idea. Plent of talks about it on the forum. Good that they're working now.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2012 at 1:45pm
blue 77   Ex Member

68-73 wrote on Apr 28th, 2012 at 1:37pm:
Don't use spacers...not a good idea.

Agreed.  Never use spacers!!  Too many bad things can happen with them.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2012 at 10:57am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

The bracket on the trailing arm seemed ok on mine, it was the brackets on the frame that were causing the cable to touch the tires. I was able to unbolt mine and move them in closer to the middle. it had sheet metal screws so I just drilled one new hole on each side and used the existing inner hole which became the outside hole. The passengers side was easy but on the drivers side, the ground for the battery was right there so that was in the way a bit. I still need to adjust my e brake cable now but at least I got the cable off of the tires and I was able to remove the washers I was using as spacers.

Good to hear you are still making progress Theo.

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.