Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Neil Armstrong's 1967 (Read 2535 times)
May 3rd, 2012 at 1:57pm
blue 77   Ex Member

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2012 at 3:00pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Looks like Neil didn't take care of it very well Sad
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2012 at 3:40pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

what a POS!!! I bet even ProTeam would pass on this turd!! but in fairness to Neil Armstrong, the write up says he onlt owned it for a year then turned it in and besides in 1967/8 a used Corvette was not that big of a deal and the "collector" market for these cars wasn't even heard of.
.........................Chris  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2012 at 8:22pm by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2012 at 8:49pm

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

I heard it may be a scam!

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2012 at 5:21am
blue 77   Ex Member

ve77er wrote on May 3rd, 2012 at 3:40pm:
but in fairness to Neil Armstrong, the write up says he onlt owned it for a year then turned it in

Yeah Chris the article and ebay listing are misleading.  Neil Armstrong only drove the car, it really shouldn't be stated as his.  After he turned it back an employee of the dealership bought it.  For most of it's life (since 1981) it sat in a garage.  So it really is a Corvette Neil Armstrong drove but is not really "Neil Armstrong's Corvette".

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2012 at 6:00am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

That's just an ugly model. looks like our old datsun 240z. the change they made in 68 sure saved it cause no telling what the fate of the corvette would have been had they continued with that style. and this one is a major project. not a single thing on that car that isn't worn out. you'd spend 100k and 5 years just making it road worthy. what a waste.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2012 at 6:16am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Dale
I did see that car on yahoo yesterday.  It would be a challenge to restore.  It does still look all original but not at that reserve price. I work with a guy in our operations department who also has his original owner 67 corvette with a 427 engine that he claims he raced back then. It has been in his barn/garage since I have known him for 31 years. I have myself never seen it but a friend has and he said the car is trashed out but the owner keeps saying he is going to restore it.  He is in his early 60'a like me and is not a mechanic. Just another classic rotted away and doomed to be a junker.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2012 at 7:16am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

IMO, cars like that are already junkers. I'd hate to even begin looking for rust on that thing. probably passed the point of no return. Neil ought to convince NASA to drop it off on the moon and then it might be worth something.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2012 at 9:15am
blue 77   Ex Member

Rick, I know what your saying.  There are Corvettes at Barrett-Jackson in mint condition which don't bring the price the joker selling this one wants.  A quarter million and the reserve is not met. Shocked  He must think because Armstong drove it a short time the rust, dirt, grime and overall bad condition ADDS to the price rather than SUBTRACTS from it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is a SCAM as Jon has heard!!

Also it is truly amazing how many old cars rust and rot away to nothing sitting in barns/garages waiting on the owner to "restore" them. Shocked

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 6th, 2012 at 4:45pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Bidding ended at $250,090 without meeting the reserve. Shocked  Listed 73 bids from 43 bidders.  WOW some people must have actually wanted this "piece of history".  I mean Neil Armstrong never really owned it he just drove it for a year. Roll Eyes  For $250K they could get a VERY VERY nice, clean, restored or new car! Wink  Much preferred to this POS junker, I would think, at least for me.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2012 at 6:15am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

that's weird Dale. I can't believe someone would even offer that much. that tells you that there's a lot of stupid people out there with entirely too much money.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2012 at 10:39am
blue 77   Ex Member

Quote:
lot of stupid people out there with entirely too much money.

More money than brains.  Especially to offer that kind of money on that junker.

Dale

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.