Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
moon roof (Read 3622 times)
May 19th, 2012 at 10:59am

rory   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
geneva alabama

Does anyone have these on there car,found a pair for 450.00 but they need some kind of nut he said something like a well nut for the pin i believe what he said, havent look at them was considering buying glass tops.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 19th, 2012 at 11:25am

frank 77   Offline
Los Angeles

Am I missing something???  I do not know what your looking at?  I have a set of moon roofs.

77 Vette Convertible
2005 Corvette seats
ZZ4
700R4
IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2012 at 2:17pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Thompson has a version that they call moonroof. One is a full one piece. And they have seprate t tops.
  There is also a version that was slated for an option in 1977. It has a fiberglass perimeter which was painted to match, with a glass insert. There was a dispute between GM and the supplier and was cancelled. They wound up being sold as aftermarket pieces. I found a set at Carlisle for $60.00 2 yrs ago. 
  GM came out in 78 with there full glass top.

If you look at the first release of the 77 sales brochure, I belive they have a pic of the tops that was supposed to be an option mounted on the luggage rack.
I know Binnie has a set on his car. They pop up on ebay every now and then...........Jack

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2012 at 9:05pm

rory   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
geneva alabama

the pics I seen are the ones with the fiberglass perimeter but they are missing some of the hardware for the front pins.For 450.00 I belive they should be in working order so I dont think I will be buying these.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2012 at 9:12pm

jabney   Offline
I love my 77 Vette!

The pins that go into the guides on the windshield frame are mounted with 2 seperate screws. I am missing both of mine. I have decided to fabricate something, because I couldn't find anyone that still makes parts for the moon roofs

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 20th, 2012 at 5:31am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

rory wrote on May 19th, 2012 at 9:05pm:
the pics I seen are the ones with the fiberglass perimeter but they are missing some of the hardware for the front pins.For 450.00 I belive they should be in working order so I dont think I will be buying these.

450.00 is a steep price if they pop up on ebay they usually 300.00, but I haven't been following them lately. And those pins that break are not available nowhere. One of mine was broken, I had to have a machinist make me two out of a composite material................jack 

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2012 at 8:35am

rory   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
geneva alabama

I could probally fabicate one, the company I work for has a machine shop wouldnt cost me anything but I think the price is to high and by the way Jack how do you like yours.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2012 at 10:28am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

rory wrote on May 20th, 2012 at 8:35am:
I could probally fabicate one, the company I work for has a machine shop wouldnt cost me anything but I think the price is to high and by the way Jack how do you like yours.

I no longer have the car. I gave it to my daughter last year and I never put those tops on after I restored them.........jack

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2012 at 7:27pm

jabney   Offline
I love my 77 Vette!

I would love a set, and I would even pay you for your time. I would love to put them on, but it wasn't a priority

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 20th, 2012 at 10:15pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator

as Jack has stated the historical account of the 1977 moon roofs is correct the aftermarket ones with the fiberglass perimiter were marketed by Saratoga tops and called "moonroofs" in 1978 GM produced solid glass tops but also switched from the two latch system used from 1968-77 to a single latch in the front with a rear guide pin. also these do pop up at some of the bigger swap meets but are usually in pretty rough shape.
............Chris   Smiley
« Last Edit: May 20th, 2012 at 10:17pm by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2012 at 6:18am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Thanks Chris for your input.
   I coudn't remember the name of the mfg. But now that the wind blew and dusted off my brain for a minute. Saratoga also made a composite polycarbon t-tops. They were smoke gray similiar to the 1978 GM one piece glass tops

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2012 at 6:28am

TX 73 gone   Offline
Top Gun Member
My Vette went to a good
home!
Sugar Land, TX

I like the idea of the 1 piece but I think I'll spring for a set of glass tops when I finally get ready. I had the tinted glass in my 78 and 79 TA and I loved the extra space it gave you. A little hot in the Texas summer though.

Charlie

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 23rd, 2012 at 5:35am

blue 77   Offline
Global Moderator
purchased new in 77
Abilene, Texas

Never really wanted the glass tops. Shocked  Always thought if I wanted the sun in I would just remove the tops. Grin

Dale

... ...
IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 23rd, 2012 at 8:38am

TX 73 gone   Offline
Top Gun Member
My Vette went to a good
home!
Sugar Land, TX

You'd be surprised Dale. the glass tops give you a sence of freedom and feels like you have much more room without the wind and other elements coming in. the view at night is cool too. The only bad thing is this Texas sun in the summer. it comes thru that glass and makes you feel like you're ant any under a magnifying glass. gets a bit hot.

I'd love to keep mine and get one of those one piece tops or the glass and rotate them out in different conditions.

Charlie

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 23rd, 2012 at 7:34pm

rory   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
geneva alabama

went and look at the moon roof guy came down to 350.00 but I told him I would pass on them,they look ok but I didnt like the fact I would have to fabicate the pin so it would work.The next morning I got on craigslist and found some glass tops off of a 1978 corvette for 400.00 call the guy we met and I bought them on the spot in great condition even in the t tops bags I will get some pics on them soon.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.