Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

73 front bumper replacement (Read 5560 times)
Jun 17th, 2012 at 5:32am

winston   Offline
I Love my 73
ohio

Finally, back together. Smiley
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012 at 5:36am by winston »  

IMG_3979__800x600_.jpg (231 KB | 435 )
IMG_3979__800x600_.jpg
IMG_3973__800x600_.jpg (345 KB | 372 )
IMG_3973__800x600_.jpg
IMG_3978__800x600_.jpg (242 KB | 298 )
IMG_3978__800x600_.jpg
IMG_3977__800x600_.jpg (301 KB | 337 )
IMG_3977__800x600_.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 7:52am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Winston
Looks great.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 11:01am
blue 77   Ex Member

Winston, you did an excellent job!  It looks fantastic.  Matches perfectly.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 12:34pm

winston   Offline
I Love my 73
ohio

Not according to the wife.
That aside my guys at the local ppg dealer did a great job with advice and recomending products. This was my first auto paint project in years, first with hvlp. It was quite a learning curve, my son in law held the bumper up while I marked about 4 holes. I then drilled them and installed the bumper to look at fit and mark the rest of the holes. I cut the retainers in about 5 pieces to make install easier.
I had to add a little body filler at each end to make for a good fit, be sure and use high quality filler. After about 6 tries at fitment I had it pretty close.
I then built a stand to hold the bumper out of a engine stand and some emt conduit. after a good wet sanding with 180 and then 320, some glazing compound to fill a few pinholes, and then more wet sanding, I was ready to paint,NOT. No place to paint, off to the lumber store,A couple days later I had my paint booth built complete with exhaust fan to the outside. I have a nice large furnace blower I use in the garage to cool in the summer but it sucked the plastic off the booth frame, too strong, back to a small fan, worked great.
After talking to 3 different paint dealers in 3 different towns I settled on my local PPG dealer in wilmington, glad I did he has been selling paint for years and is fantastic to deal with.
A couple of pinholes in my filler  showed up after the epoxy primer coat that I had missed, my wife was kind enough to bring them to my attention Angry. That took several hours to correct, Note: do not try to put glazing compound over epoxy primer that is not well cured, bad idea.
I used a Harbor Freight Hvlp gun to apply the primer, the purple proffesional auto set of two guns, worked very well.
Next came the color, my paint guys recommended using the same paint, single stage  concept dcc that was on the car for a match. I had a partial can that had the formula from the previous owner so not to difficult.
I used a finex 3000 hvlp to shoot this, boy is it sweet.
After sanding and polishing I installed it on my car, you have to be careful and not pull the retainers to tight it will warp the edge of the bumper, and oh be sure and use a flex additive.
Lets see, cost of the bumper+ paint+plus gun+booth, what a deal.
Oh well, my son is painting his motorcycle in the booth, and I will paint a few things in the garage that need to be done, and the satisfaction of doing it myself,priceless.
Winston
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2012 at 12:39pm by winston »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 12:39pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Excellent work Smiley
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 12:41pm

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Winston
Nice paint job! Loved how you improvised a part holder with the engine stand Cheesy
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 1:18pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Winston, it still is an excellent paint job. 

It's the wife's job to point out any flaws. Grin  Things others might over look, she has to make you aware of (a marital responsibility Wink).  That way you don't get a "big head".LOL  You can tell her all the guys here love it just as it is. Wink

Congratulations on a job well done.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 6:52pm

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

Great job. Did you use a Urethane bumper or fiberglass. I used a Tureflex Fiberglass one when I replaced mine.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523/1973-chevrolet-corvette/page-9
I found out the same thing when it came to mounting the bumper, the trueflex does not flex as much as the urethane bumper so I had to cut up the retainers to get them to fit. I also had to add some filler to the bumper flange because it pulled the bumper if I tried to tighten the nuts too much.

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2012 at 7:35pm

winston   Offline
I Love my 73
ohio

It is a truflex. I used a little filler on the sides, but not any behind the flanges.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 18th, 2012 at 7:46am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I was going to say the same thing about the engine stand. nice and high and out of the way. god job. looks like you did your homework selecting material and I'm sure it will last a long time now. Looks awesome Winston.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 6:27am

winston   Offline
I Love my 73
ohio

I have discovered 1200 grit sanding and perfect-it rubbing compound.
Those hazy places on the fender where the previous owner didn't use a fender cover,  the scratches and orange peel he didn't sand all the way out, presto, gone. Actually several hours of hand sanding and machine polishing and they are gone.
I am amazed how nice it looks, I have done drivers side fender and hood, will do other fender this week. probably wholecar before its over.
winston

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2012 at 11:50am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Winston,
Looks like you have the painters "touch" Cheesy. Looks great!
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.