Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Heat barrier question (Read 5138 times)
Jul 19th, 2012 at 6:56pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Dale, and the extremely hot weather, helped me decide it time to get around to fixing the A/C in the 77. I figured the the first step would be to try and reduce more of the heat that enters the passenger compartment. I have put a manual shut off valve in, placed a heat barrier under the carpet and placed new seals in the heater box. My question is this, would adding more of the heat barrier up behind the heater box and around the duct work help or would it be over kill that would just be a waste of time and money? If it would be beneficial, what type barrier would you us?
Ron
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2012 at 6:57pm by 77vette »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 4:21am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

This is what I use & it works. Easy to install & with the aluminum tape it looks great. The more you cover the floor area the better. I also installed a barrier on the underside of the tunnel on the 68..that BB gets hot Lips Sealed There is a big difference after you install the barrier.
http://hushmat.com/NEW_Performance.php
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 4:37am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Thanks Alan, figured more would be better just wish I would of done it when I replaced the heater box seals. Oh well another project, Will order a box.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 6:09am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I need to do that too cause I'm gonna install a new system in mine next month with C4 blower and everything and might as well limit the heat as much as possible. you guys may have the temps that I do but add the humidity in Houston and the heat is just relentless.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2012 at 6:38pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

This has been an unusual summer for us, with the lack of rain the humidity has been non-existent. The 100 degree plus weather is whats doing us in.
Went to a cruise the other weekend and the temp was 100+ and we added the slow moving vehicles and lack of air flow the water temp was around 220 made us feel like we were driving in a oven.
Decision to fix the A/C was an easy one.

Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 12:06pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Good luck, Ron.  One of these days I plan to actually get mine fixed, I hope. Roll Eyes

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 2:20pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Dale, picked up the heat husematt that Alan recommended at the local auto body store. When I took everything out I decided to do some trouble shooting. Turned out the selector switch was bad so I replaced it with one my wife bought last fall. Now I have power to the pressure switch but the compressor won't engage, seems I am low of freon. At the reserve center where I work they have a a/c machine and told me to bring it in on monday or tuesday, they also have the ability to check for leaks. Hoping everything is good but I've read that the new 134A will leak out of the hoses. I also read an article that said in 2017 they are going to a new freon again.

Ron
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2012 at 2:21pm by 77vette »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 3:43pm
blue 77   Ex Member

77vette wrote on Jul 22nd, 2012 at 2:20pm:
I also read an article that said in 2017 they are going to a new freon again.

R1234yf?  I been hearing this is the replacement for R134a.  It is supposed to be compatible with the 134 Undecided only better. Roll Eyes  For us R12 users we are going to have to change at sometime. Sad

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 5:09pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

I'm sure, any way to get money out of the working class. Since mine is converted I shouldn't have anything to worry about? I just hope all the components are good. so I can move on to the next project.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 5:16pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

here is the article, hope it helps someone else

http://www.allpar.com/eek/ac.html

Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jul 22nd, 2012 at 7:10pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Ron, thanks for sharing the article.  Had not seen it, but have heard from other sources nearly all the points made in it.  '17 is still far enough away, who knows what will truly happen in the next 5 years. Undecided  Guess we will just have to wait it out and see.  Certainly plenty of points to consider regarding AC work in the future.

Dale 
« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2012 at 5:08am by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 8:19am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

just like anything else, we adapt as well as we can. My wife heard that they are going to stop manufacturing the standard light bulbs as it's costing uncle sam too much money to make them. not sure how true that it but she buys a couple boxes every time she goes to the store so I should be good for 50 years. I know the shelf life on 134a is several years so if we can all accumulate 8-10 cans by 2017 then we should have enough to last a good while and then you can still get it on ebay if you really need it. there's tons or R12 on there.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 3:48pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Well, filled the vette with freon and found out that the compressor leaked. Replaced the compressor vacuumed out the system and refilled. Had cold air until the compressor started locking up and the belt started slipping, any ideas?
put in 3 pounds of freon, is this to much?

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jul 23rd, 2012 at 8:32pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Ron, thought on the compressor would be are you sure it's good?  Three pounds of freon is the recommended amount for '77.  Compressor locking up and belt slipping makes me think compressor might be bad.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:52am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Wish I had more knowledge in how the A/C system works, I guess if it was easy I would of fixed it three years ago  Grin . I guess I'll do some calling today and see if I get any ideas. One thought I had is there might be a little moisture left in the system. Someone else thought I should of replaced the filter? another said replace the drier? Hate to just throw parts at it.
I purchased the compressor new, I guess its possible that it's bad coming out of the box. We all now that they don't build things like they use too.
On the positive side was nice to have cold air while it lasted  Smiley

Ron
« Last Edit: Jul 24th, 2012 at 3:56am by 77vette »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.