Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Heat barrier question (Read 5693 times)
Reply #15 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 4:33am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Replace the drier if you suspect any moisture in the system as the drier absorbs moisture & can cause the system to not function properly. You will have to have the drier installed  the system evacuated by a professional , checked for leaks & system charged. Then you should be good to go.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #16 - Jul 24th, 2012 at 4:41am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

I'll pick up a drier and filter (Not sure where its installed) and drop it off at the shop to be redone, if nothing else I be closer to a all new system  Grin . I'll keep you informed if it works, glad the people out in the shop refill and vacuum the system for free, well not free I am  sure it will cost me in the long run.

Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #17 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:42am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Figured out something was wrong with the new compressor, found metal shaving in the lines. Time for new filter and system flush and a new compressor again. The positive side is all new O-rings  Smiley, I'm still money ahead, then knowledge I've gained and extra shop time "price-less".

Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #18 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 5:23am
blue 77   Ex Member

77vette wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 3:42am:
something was wrong with the new compressor

Ron that really sucks.  Sorry to hear it but from your description of the problem I was afraid it might be the compressor. Shocked  Glad you are "enjoying" the "PRICE-LESS" part of this repair. LOL Grin  Good luck.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #19 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 8:59am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

we'all learning from this RON. maybe I won't salvage the compressor I have and go ahead and get a new one when I do mine. Maybe I can get a core charge out of it at least.

Hang in there,
Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #20 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 1:40pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Ron, saw in your other post you found paperwork where PO coverted to R134.  Are you still using R134?  My statement of the system using 3 pounds of freon was assuming it was R12.  I seem to remember something about coverted systems using between 10% to 15% less R134 than R12. Undecided Shocked

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:35pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Charlie,
Recommend flushing the system, replace orifis tube (On the 77 its located on the small tub that has the thermostat on it, I replaced mine after the flush but that is where I found the metal shavings), replace all the seals (there really isn't as many as I thought), Vacuum system (Did mine for 15 minutes), let it stand for 15 minutes to ensure there are no leaks, Add freon 3lbs if its R12 and 20% less if its R134. If you replace pump don't forget to add the compressor oil, I changed the drier just to be on the safe side. Check to ensure the air is cold and enjoy.
Dale,
You have to find the positive if things aren't going right. Learned a lot from this repair. The parts store thinks the pump was bad from the start since the pump I exchanged was only leaking and no damage is evident from the inside. They say they will replace the pump free of charge but I have to wait for one to get ordered in, should be here in a couple of days. so really the only thing I am out is the orifis tub, flush since I used the oil and freon from work, and time. I figure this time I will add 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 pounds of freon and work up from there.

Ron
« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:36pm by 77vette »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #22 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 5:22am
blue 77   Ex Member

77vette wrote on Jul 25th, 2012 at 6:35pm:
They say they will replace the pump free of charge

Ron, at least it's good they are going to stand behind the compressor.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #23 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 6:44am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Thanks Ron. I'm converting mine to the late C3 so I don't have to use the VIR and am getting a parallel condensor and C4 blower so I'll be expecting good results out of mine. Ya know, I have one parts house that I always go to and am in there quite a bit and they always give me the benifit of the doubt if there's ever a discrepancy. sounds like you got a good one too and what they did for you would seal the deal for me.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #24 - Jul 26th, 2012 at 2:32pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Charlie,
I've done business with the same parts store for over 24 years. The only time I go somewhere else is when they are closed and can't wait for parts, normally they have whatever I need in stock.

Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #25 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 6:03pm

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Well, new pump came in today. Flushed out the system with two quarts of cleaner, replaced the orifice filter, filled the pump with oil, replaced drier again, hooked every back up and I have air conditioning. Was real nice driving home. 
One issue down two more to fix: 1) window washer 2) cruise control, well there is the rear window defroster but I am not going to worry about that since I will probably never use it.

Ron

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #26 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 1:16pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Ron, hope this one last longer than 2 or 3 days. Shocked  Glad you have A/C now. Wink

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #27 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 7:56am

Michael   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

The blower motor on my 1971 appears to have failed. Blows the fuse whenever the fan is turned on. Would appreciate any guidance on how to replace the motor.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 1:07pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

It depends on if you have a SB or a BB with or with out air. A SB you can get it out from the top from the engine compartment. A BB from the side is easier. I did it from the top on both.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #29 - Sep 11th, 2019 at 2:16pm

Michael   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

I hate to sound like a dummy, but what are SB and BB. Car has factory air.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.