Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Best exhaust manifold coatings? (Read 3425 times)
Jul 27th, 2012 at 5:37am

winston   Offline
I Love my 73
ohio

Any recommendations on exhaust manifold coatings. They are needing a new coating the previous owner had some type of gray coating and it's starting to show it's age.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:14am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I put this on my 68 8 yrs ago & they still look new. There are so many ways to do this it's almost impossible to look at them all. Money is the big difference.
Alan Smiley
http://www.eastwood.com/factory-gray-high-temp-coating-kit.html

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 10:37am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I painted my headers with hi temp from the auto parts store and one brand peeled off in a month. then I tried another VHT I think and it burned off. I sanded then real good this last time and used a flat and then buffed them and I'm hoping they will last but I'd like to know if anyone has had better luck as well other than taking them to get powder coated which I almost did.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2012 at 7:00pm

winston   Offline
I Love my 73
ohio

Eastwood was one I was looking at  and POR 15 makes one, I don't have headers just stock manifolds so the eastwood product would work.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2012 at 6:06am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

I used Calyx on my manifolds and it looked great for awhile but eventually faded back to original so dont use it.  If I would of kept my 77 I would of went with the powder coating.  I have seen them at car shows and they look great.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2012 at 5:12pm
Bad_to_The_Bone   Ex Member

I painted my whole exhaust pipes from the Headers to the Tailpipe with (2) coats of High Heat Silver POR-15 (5) years ago and they still look great with no flaking...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jul 30th, 2012 at 8:01pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Powder coating should work as it is supposed to stand up very well to high temps.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 6:43am

winston   Offline
I Love my 73
ohio

looked at a couple of cars that had eastwoods coating on them at a local car show last weekend, the guys raved about the stuff, so going to try it. The pass. side looks like it won't come off with the engine in the car so I may have to do them on the engine. They aren't to bad yet anyway.
Winston

IMG_4115__800x600_.jpg (326 KB | 349 )
IMG_4115__800x600_.jpg
IMG_4119__800x600_.jpg (319 KB | 345 )
IMG_4119__800x600_.jpg
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 7:32am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Like I posted before I did mine many yrs ago (around 8 yrs I think) & they still look good ...maybe a little touching up Wink
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jul 31st, 2012 at 9:06am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Looks good Winston. makes me want to go home and polish my rims again.

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.