Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Rag Joint Replacement - Steering Coupler (Read 9327 times)
Sep 11th, 2012 at 8:40am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I could have sworn I read some tips on how to replace the rag joint but couldn't find it. I removed all the bolts and spread the clamp apart a bit but I must be missing something. it moved about half an inch towards the steering box but the top was still connected to the steering shaft. Need to know before I break out the 2 lb sledge.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 9:43am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Two choices remove the box or the column. You Pick.............jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 10:04am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I think it's easier to drop the column , take out the bolts on the firewall & slide it back. you can check & replace your steering column bearings at this time too. It's only about a 2 beer job Wink
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2012 at 10:45am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

well, I started messing with it Saturday and gave up and decided to drop the engine in so I now have a lot less room so I think I'll go with dropping the column.

Thanks Guys,
Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 2:40am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Charlie,
I have a 3lb sledge I used on our old leaking dishwasher, it leaks no more Cheesy it was a beautiful thing Cool the neighbors think I'm a little off so I recommend you use a smaller sledge and not do it in front of the garage LOL, good luck!
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 23rd, 2012 at 9:36am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Removed the lower dash panel, the 2 bolts and the bracket on the firewall and that gave me plenty of room to get it out. Bought the wrong disc though so had to swap it out and getting the old one apart was a bitch. tnded up using a cut off wheel on the riveted side and then it came apart. parts cleaned and painted and just need to re-asemble. fixin to do it now and will take some photo's along the way. tempted to break out the sledge though. usually the 1st thing that comes to mind.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 7:40am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Well, got it all done and it was a pain doing it by myself. fighting the steering column and trying to mate the rod to the coupler was a task. all done. still can;t drive it though. the one hose still leaked and I went to tighten and re-position and I broke the flare off the hose. That hose was bent anyway and the reason for the leak so I have another one arriving in a couple days and then I can drive down the road. On a good note, the coupler was not lined up correctly and I think that's wht my left blinker would not stay on. we'll see.

will post photo's in a couple days.
Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 24th, 2012 at 5:16pm

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

That is a pain if you are doing it yourself. I had my column out three or four times when I was trying to line mine up to the Borgeson steering box I replaced the old worn-out gearbox with.
Glad you got the job done.

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 6:04am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Luckily I had a box in the garage that was just the right height to sit on the seat and hold the steering wheel up. then it was just a matter of lining it up and pressing the shaft on the coupler. doesn't seem like it fit in as deep as the old one but it's not off by much. I thought you had a post Brian but I couldn't find one.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:11am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

That's how I did mine, put wood on the seats until it was lined up. Funny how you have to do more to make up for those missing extra hands. glad it worked out for you.
Alan Smiley
When I took the column out of the 68 it was completely gone so I had to install another one & went with the Flaming River tilt. They didn't have a way to fit it in a vet back then so I fabricated everything to make it fit.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 9:34am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

I had a question about the telescopic steering. I only have 1 lever which is the tilt but I have a lock screw in the shaft that you can loosen and move it in our out quite a bit and lock it in place. Is this standard or does it sound like someone modified it?

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 10:38am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Take some pictures...it sounds like a modification, but that's how it works off the top of the shaft.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:16am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

yeah, all I have to do is pop my horn button off and loosen the screw and it gives me about 6-7" of play. the original colum had a collar that was about 6" long and I guess that's to cover the shaft when you pull the wheel back.

I used the colar at first but couldn't get it perfectly centered so it wouldn't rub so I had to use the cover that came with the steering wheel.

Charlie
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:17am by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #13 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 11:24am
blue 77   Ex Member

That's the way it worked.  The lever was the tilt, but the telescopic part worked off a ring on the top of the wheel.  Loosen, adjust wheel height, retighten.
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corvette-telescopic-steering-column-locking-ring-...

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Sep 25th, 2012 at 12:15pm
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

Ahhh, that's what that thing was. hmm, never thought of turning it. was tempted to cut the notch off with my cut-off wheel too. Oh well, it's in a box in the attic now. Interesting. Thanks Dale.

Charlie

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.