Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

purists (Read 1970 times)
Jan 20th, 2013 at 7:06pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

seems the C-7 is getting luke warm reviews by the Corvette community at large, given the responses posted after the car's debut at the Detroit Auto Show. this seems to happen with every generation. I am old enough to remember when the 1968  C-3 came out and people (espcially Road and Track magazine)really did not like this new fangled "gadget car" turned out to be the longest most sucessful run in Corvette history, then the C-4's I personally thought it was pretty boring and asking for trouble with the digital dash (which were changed to analog a few years into the run)   the C-4 had staying power and brought back the convertible, paced the Indianopolis 500 and brought back the storied ZR-1! as it continuoisly evolved over it's 13 year run. then the C-5 again, I liked the new body style but the interior was so plastic it didn't fit with the car's image (or price tag) again though it's a performance car and we saw the rebirth of the Z-06 and two Indianopolis pace cars! plus the 50th anniversary milestone. the C-6 was "just a C-5 1/2" but, really, it was SO much more and we continued with the Z-06, brought back the  Grand Sport and eventually the ZR-1 both Z iterations are absolute screamers from the factory! so, we now have the C-7 time tell where this model will fall in the long and storied history that is Corvette, I'd like the "purists" to give the new car it's due and see what performance comes out from the Corvette team! remember in all it's 60 year history there have only been 5 Corvette chief engineers and that is a job I'm sure that person takes to heart (as they are building their own legacy) it's always exciting to anticipate and finally realize a new generation of Corvette. as a long time enthusiaist, I am happy to see the C-7 because a little variety is always nice.!!!  Smiley I tip my hat to Zora, Dave M, Dave H, Tom W and finally Tadge J!! well done gentlemen!

....................Chris  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:21pm by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 2:17am

Maximus79   Offline
Top Gun Member
"If you come to a fork
in the road,take it!"
Skagit Co.,Washington State

Cool

...... ...
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 5:36am
blue 77   Ex Member

Some people don't want any changes while others think no matter how many changes are made nothing really changes. Undecided  Purists can be very hard to please.  To stay ahead of the curve in automotive circles you must change and update.  Otherwise you're just threading water until the death of the brand.  Some purists think the model should never have changed from '53 but a '53 Corvette version would not sell today.  As long as GM stays true to the brand "Corvette" changes and updates do not concern me.  Just a fact of automotive life.  I may not like at the changes but can accept them as necessary.

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 8:11am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

well, looks like someone forked out $1.1M for vin#00001 so I'm sure we'll see a C8 before you know it.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 9:15am
blue 77   Ex Member

Rick Hendrick has a large Corvette collecion (as I understand it).  He also bought the '58 of GM's CEO at an auction for $270K.  Wished I owned a NASCAR team. LOL Grin Grin  Of course, I also think he is a big-time Chevy dealer. Wink

Dale
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013 at 9:22am by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 11:20am

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

Just remember.  If puritsts had their way we would all still be riding horses.   Lips Sealed

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2013 at 10:11pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

jetmender wrote on Jan 21st, 2013 at 11:20am:
Just remember.  If puritsts had their way we would all still be riding horses.   Lips Sealed

uh Bob, that's purists, those who are fanatical about the car's lineage and beholden to one particular generation eg: "real corvettes have trunks", "real corvettes have chrome" or real corvettes were the C-2's ect. ect.
in other words no matter what you do, some people will always complain. remember only recently has this forum opened up to all generations we were for the longest time a C-3 only site. but I think recognizing all generations is the way to go, we may not all be able to answer questions about other generations (as most of us grew up and worked on C-3's) but it's nice to discuss them anyway! you have the best of both worlds, Diane's '77 and your '02 are light years apart in technology, ride and characteristics but you both enjoy them equally as much! so, the point i was going for is there are some who don't want to give the 2014 a chance and by doing that, they are missing a chance to further the Corvette hobby.
....................Chris  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2013 at 10:19pm by ve77er »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jan 22nd, 2013 at 5:59am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

well put Chris.
Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jan 23rd, 2013 at 6:18pm

jetmender   Offline
Top Gun Member
We have a 2002 "vette"
as well as two 1977s
Daytona Beach Florida

I agree Chris.  It took me a while to come to like the C-6 but now I REALLY wish I had one. Also as to the purist out look, I also wish I had the yellow 77 back in my garage.  As far as cool cars goes THAT one was my favorite.  The 02 is best for going places but you just can't beat the looks of that 1977 piece of art.   Cool  I think I like the C-7s as well.  They are just differant and that is not a bad thing I guess.  As long as there are people like our members that are keeping the C-3s alive all will be good.
Robert

Robert & Diane's 77 & 02 Corvette
IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2013 at 3:53am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

jetmender wrote on Jan 23rd, 2013 at 6:18pm:
I agree Chris.  It took me a while to come to like the C-6 but now I REALLY wish I had one. Also as to the purist out look, I also wish I had the yellow 77 back in my garage.  As far as cool cars goes THAT one was my favorite.  The 02 is best for going places but you just can't beat the looks of that 1977 piece of art.   Cool  I think I like the C-7s as well.  They are just differant and that is not a bad thing I guess.  As long as there are people like our members that are keeping the C-3s alive all will be good.
Robert

well you know how I feel about the yellow 1977 I did an extensive search when I was looking and happened upon that one, you guys helped me out when I had to sell, I was happy to learn it was coming back up north as part of Alan's stable and happy it was going to remain in the forum, I also understand Alan's desire to move it along if I had Alan's collection and wanted another toy I guess I too would have to choose the stock, smog motored 1977 to sell as well. I also wish I was in a position to buy it back!
......................Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.