Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9
My paintjob! (Read 19250 times)
May 7th, 2013 at 8:47am

Theo the Venlonaar   Offline
I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

I still don't know what to do, want to paint the car but the rack also needs a re-chrome. That won't be cheap and in the end I'll never use the rack... How should I close the holes? I want to use glasfiber ofcourse, but must I close the mounting holes from beneath? I think the gastank is in the way, so I have to do it from above Huh
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2013 at 11:38am by Theo the Venlonaar »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 7th, 2013 at 4:33pm

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Theo
In my opinion to just glass the holes from above wont be the best way to plug the luggage rack holes.  If it were me I would either order a reporduction lugage rack and install it which would be cheaper than rechroming your original.  If you do elect to leave off the rack I think it would be best to remove the gas tank which is not that hard of a job and get up under the back deck and glass mat under the holes so that you have a stiff surface to apply your glass filler to the holes.  We have in the states what is called microballoons [not sure about the spelling] that you can mix with the glass resin for filler.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2013 at 2:42am

I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

I know microballoons, we use it for our gliders at the gliderclub. Must I remove the mufflers To remove the gastank)?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2013 at 6:18am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

It depends on how your pipes are run, if the pipes & or your mufflers are below the tank they gotta go. It's not a hard job just takes a little time. I also agree with Rick those holes gotta be sealed from the bottom first. A replacement rack isn't to expensive...$200.00 from Rik's for chrome $230.00 for stainless.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2013 at 11:06am

I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

Meanwhile, not only bothering about the rack, I started to prepare the car for the paintjob... (in the season...)
I took the paint of the T-tops, took me 8 hours... Must find a faster way to get things done!

The red paint was very bad, look at the my roadkill and see what I mean:

T -tops, both are sanded now:

I only saw one grey layer beneath the original paint, is that the gelcoat or the primer?

IP Logged

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2013 at 11:42am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

The primer should have been red oxide. You are down to the glass. Some of the panels on the 73 were smc and some were press mold fiberglass. So you have to be carefull what you are making a repair on. The repair uses different chemicals for each system, they don't mix and won't bond to each other for long..  Easy way to tell is press mold glass will be dark. SMC will be an off white.....Gel coat is used on boats and aftermarket hoods. Not original vette panels.............jack
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013 at 11:52am by Artsvettes »  

IP Logged

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2013 at 11:51am

I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

Jack, no gelcoat on vettes?  Primer red oxide? Beneath the original orange is just one grey layer... Huh
On the other hand, these were the tops, maybe the body shows somehing else
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013 at 11:52am by Theo the Venlonaar »  
IP Logged

Reply #7 - May 9th, 2013 at 11:59am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

wow Theo, looks like someone drove that thing thru a razor blade factory. you are definnetly down to the glas on the t-tops and if all of your paint is crackly like that, you have no choice to take it all off. You could do a scuff and primer, wet sand, primer..... but it would take a lot. and you are changing the color right? aren't you going with blue?

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #8 - May 9th, 2013 at 12:36pm

I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

yes, blue. see my blue GT in my pics

IP Logged

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2013 at 12:47pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

The spider webs in the paint is typical of lacquer paint drying out over the years. It has to be striped before new paint can be applied.......jack
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2013 at 12:48pm by Artsvettes »  

IP Logged

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2013 at 3:27pm

Tim-Texas   Offline
Killeen, TX

Theo,

I have recently removed all the paint from my 73, and all my pannels are SMC but as Jack said above some 73's used both types of pannels.

If you do decide to remove all the paint I would stay away from the chemical removers.

Tim

Tim

IP Logged

Reply #11 - May 10th, 2013 at 11:42am

I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

Today I used the rasorblade trick, it works well. Although I wanted to cut wood for next winter today, I spent the whole afternoon scratching the paint off. The orange comes off also, but first I've to remove the badges, trim, bumpers etc. and first of all the red paint!
My son is helping ne:

a complete different car Grin

IP Logged

Reply #12 - May 10th, 2013 at 1:08pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

The razor blade works well on dried out lacquer just have to becarefull you don't gouge the glass. Sad Why would they have painted over that beautiful orange? Roll Eyes Looks like you employed some help. Hope you paid him well. I know he will remember that for the rest of his life Cool............jack

IP Logged

Reply #13 - May 10th, 2013 at 2:27pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Looking great Theo.  Nice to get your son involved as well.  Won't be long before we have another
blue corvette
member. Wink

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #14 - May 15th, 2013 at 11:39am
TX 73 stock   Ex Member

You might want to keep him around Theo. some the nuts and bolts for the bumpers are hard to reach. My mufflers do not move and I had a tough time getting to the bolts on the side of the car that attach the rear bumpers.

Keep us posted with your progress.
Charlie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.