Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

starting a paint job on a 76 (Read 2133 times)
May 25th, 2013 at 7:46am

TOPSFLY   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Im getting ready to start stripping my car down and painting itt. Was wondering if anyone had any helpful tips on doing it and preping it. I also was wondering if anyone has tried the duplicolor paint shop paint.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - May 26th, 2013 at 3:24am

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Topsfly
There are lots of different answers to your question.  Onmine I chemically stripped 3 layers of paint off of mine and took it down to the glass.  Down side to chemically stripping is it will remove any bondo that is on the car and you have to be careful to make sure all the stripper has been neutralized to it wont lift the new paint.  I have heard of people using the razor blade method of removing the old paint but I dont know much about it.  If you have only one layer of paint you could just sand it with some 120 grit sand paper then smooth it down to 400 grit.  I have not used the duplicolor paints except for some other vehicle touch up.  I think if you use any decent brand base coat/clear coat you will be alright.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2013 at 5:35am

Theo the Venlonaar   Offline
I Love my Corvette and
Opel GT!
Venlo, Netherlands

Topsfly, keep us posted on your paintjob. I'm busy prepping my '73 for a paintjob. I used the razorblade method. I removed red paint and a thick layer of filler. That went of easy. But now I'm down to the Original orange paint and this won't peel of that easy with the razorblade. I'm thinking of sanding it and use chemicals for the difficult spots.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2013 at 7:06pm

TOPSFLY   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Sry i took so long to get back on but thanks for the advice. With the razor blade method u just use a plain,old straight blade? Juzt seems like alot more hassel then sanding

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 7:42am
TX 73 gone   Ex Member

it all depends on the condition of your paint and if you plan on doing a color change. Most of the time a good scuff is all you need. I thought about ordering some duplicolor but decided to go with a 2 part from Sherwin Williams. They matched it perfectly and it dried nice and smooth. the 2 part is actually a 3 part mixed 3.2.1 and a HVLP gun will do the trick. the cost was about $35 for a pint and a little goes a long way. you should be able to do the whole car with a half gallon. However, to do a whole car, you need a respirator. I made a small paint booth for the bumper and everything in that area is blue!

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 8:51am
seventyate   Ex Member

If you go to chemical removal, check the dates on the cans that you buy. I bought some once and let it sit before using and found out that after 6 months the chemical that makes it works starts to degrade.
Ed

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.