Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
New air conditioner (Read 5627 times)
Jun 18th, 2013 at 8:50am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I'm installing a complete system from Classic Air in the 73 . The heater core started leaking last yr & the air has leaks . So I decided to upgrade to a new system. I've done this before in the 68 & apparently this is a better upgraded system. I'll see. It's really not that hard just labor involved . I won't be posting pics as it's all over the internet now. When I did the 68 10 yrs ago it was a new idea & you were pretty much on your own.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:33am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Alan
I just put in a new heater core just before you bought the car. That didn't last long at all..............jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 9:54am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Yes it looks new, just goes to show it's hard to get good after market stuff these days. It'll be a breeze to work on & repair if needed with the new system. That old compressor really bogged the engine down too. The newer one  is hardly noticeable.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 12:41pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

That was the second new one I put in there since I had the car.

Do they give you a parallel flow condenser with the kit? That seems to be the key when converting an older car with a serpentine flow to 134a............jack

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:41pm

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I'm not sure I haven't got it yet. I'll check the 68 tomorrow. I know the condenser has to be bigger because R134 isn't as efficient as R12. That's why when you convert a stock system you don't get the low temps.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 2:04am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

when are you doing the '77??  Smiley Smiley
..................Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 4:37am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Don't know what you mean by doing the 77???
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:01am
blue 77   Ex Member

68-73 wrote on Jun 18th, 2013 at 1:41pm:
I'm not sure I haven't got it yet. I'll check the 68 tomorrow. I know the condenser has to be bigger because R134 isn't as efficient as R12. That's why when you convert a stock system you don't get the low temps.
Alan Smiley

With the larger condenser will the R134 get the temps as cold as R12? Undecided

Dale

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 2:25pm
TX 73 gone   Ex Member

I think as long as you go with the parallel condenser the answer is yes. they are much more free flowing and efficient.

Charlie

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 4:51pm

Redwingvette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Red Vettes are the best
Waterford, Michigan

I did this upgrade on my 73. I replaced everything at the time except the controls.
I believe it works as well as the old system but without the high price of the R12.

Brian
73 Coupe, Performer RPM Heads & intake
Holley carb
Crane Cam, Roller rockers
BTO 200-4R trans, 3.55 gear
F-body seatbelts,
Magnaflow Exhaust.
NCM Lifetime Member
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/565523
IP Logged

Reply #10 - Jun 19th, 2013 at 9:08pm

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

68-73 wrote on Jun 19th, 2013 at 4:37am:
Don't know what you mean by doing the 77???
Alan Smiley

what I meant is since you upgraded the '68 and are now tackling the '73 I was wondering if the '77 is on the radar, I remember when we took it to get checked by your A/C guy he said the system was intact but believed there was another cause for heat bypassing and not letting the car cool down as much as it could.
that's all I meant.
..................Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Jun 20th, 2013 at 4:48am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I installed a shut off valve on the 77. The air quit working so I'm still thinking, but I might just leave it alone to keep it original. If it's hot I can always take another one Wink If it doesn't sell I will pull the engine & go over it & bump it to around 300hp.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 4:33am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Everything came in from classic Air yesterday afternoon. After looking everything over it looks like they have everything packaged very well....on to the next step...check if it's all there. Smiley
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 11:08am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Well I got most of the inside done ...waiting on a radio. The only thing I see wrong is they should have applied or supplied heat shielding for the panel that cover the blower motor & heater box area. Other than that so far it's pretty straight forward . Some of the pic's & descriptions don't match the car, but that's understandable as this is for a 68-74  non air & air cars.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Jun 21st, 2013 at 12:18pm
blue 77   Ex Member

Every year I keep saying I'm going to get my A/C fixed.  Somehow I never do it.  Guess I enjoy driving with the tops off too much. Grin  If I wasn't keeping it original, I might look into this system.  Seems to be better than the OE and cheaper than fixing the OE. Cry

Maybe next year. HA! HA! HA!

Dale

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.