Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
How to stop tailgaters (Read 4418 times)
Oct 15th, 2013 at 10:39am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

It seems people like to tailgate the red vet a lot. For some reason it doesn't happen to much in the Blue one, maybe because it's so loud. So I came up with a solution to the problem & pulling over ,slowing down & speeding up doesn't always help. I installed a windshield washer in the back & hooked them about 6" in from the rear of the pipe.  Just did a test & it blows a fine thick mist about 10-15' out,  10' high & about 8-9' wide. I will use water first & if I continue to not have people back off I will add anti-freeze to the water . Making a 50/50 mixture which will cover the car & smear their windshield.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2013 at 4:49pm

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Alan
I like it but I think you should go right for the jugular vein and use the anti freeze.  Of course you will be armed just in case you encounter what we would call a redneck down here wanting to kick some butt.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 4:43am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I have some good reasons for doing this. While cruising in The Poconos this summer I was tailgated by 2 different SUV's. The speed limit is 45 mph on most of the roads with very few places to pull off. The deer are everywhere so going faster than 45 mph is a death wish. The roads are very curvy so passing is not really an option unless I come to a stop. If a deer was to pop out & I jam on the breaks I've got SUV all over me, if I speed up to say 65 mph then I'm taking a chance on having a deer in my face. Then a few weeks ago I was travailing down a 2 lane road in Pa where the speed limit was 50 mph & I was doing around 55 mpg with the A-Hole in a Caddy on my ass. When we came to a rise in the road I suddenly see this car coming towards me  1/2 in my lane passing an idiot on a bicycle on a 1' shoulder road. I could have slammed on the breaks & probably killed my self & wife & the bicyclist. I chose to swerve to the right & barely squeeze by the on coming nut. After those incidents I decided I've had enough so I came up with a plan. I think I will slip some anti freeze in there after thinking about it. After all that's what happens when a head gasket blows Cheesy I'm not worried about an encounter because I can still fill a 50 cent piece full of holes at 20'. What I really don't get is why is everyone in such a big hurry for Huh
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 6:26pm

annmike   Offline
Global Moderator
A man and his toy's are
a wonderfull thing

I just load them up with a whole lot of black DIESEL SMOKE and leave them gasping as they inhale on their cigarette. Love doing this and they never get close. or I wash my windows in hope the srpay back's em off. Rather spread some coal on them..
Mike  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:15pm

Bangkok_Dean   Offline
5 speed 80 Coupe
Bangkok Thailand

That is a great idea but I would go with the water first. Causing someone to get in an accident and killing someone because they lose visibility due to being sprayed is concerning.   Embarrassed

[center]Bangkok_Dean&&From the land of Smiles&&Country Director NCRS&&Not Corectly Restored Stingrays...
[URL=http://smg.p
IP Logged

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:18pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

68-73-77 wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 4:43am:
I have some good reasons for doing this. While cruising in The Poconos this summer I was tailgated by 2 different SUV's. The speed limit is 45 mph on most of the roads with very few places to pull off. The deer are everywhere so going faster than 45 mph is a death wish. The roads are very curvy so passing is not really an option unless I come to a stop. If a deer was to pop out & I jam on the breaks I've got SUV all over me, if I speed up to say 65 mph then I'm taking a chance on having a deer in my face. Then a few weeks ago I was travailing down a 2 lane road in Pa where the speed limit was 50 mph & I was doing around 55 mpg with the A-Hole in a Caddy on my ass. When we came to a rise in the road I suddenly see this car coming towards me  1/2 in my lane passing an idiot on a bicycle on a 1' shoulder road. I could have slammed on the breaks & probably killed my self & wife & the bicyclist. I chose to swerve to the right & barely squeeze by the on coming nut. After those incidents I decided I've had enough so I came up with a plan. I think I will slip some anti freeze in there after thinking about it. After all that's what happens when a head gasket blows Cheesy I'm not worried about an encounter because I can still fill a 50 cent piece full of holes at 20'. What I really don't get is why is everyone in such a big hurry for Huh
Alan Smiley

Just as bad if not worse here in Tacoma/Seattle. Lot's of road rage. I stay home during rush hour as I have a bit of temper my self and getting high blood not worth it. Can't go no where without some idiot tail-gating or someone cutting in on me when I try to leave a gap so I'm not tailgating someone else... Lose, lose situation. Anymore, I will slow down real slow until they go around while getting the finger and cussed at. Wonder why we have WARS? Just go down your local highway...

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 5:38am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Bangkok_Dean wrote on Oct 16th, 2013 at 7:15pm:
That is a great idea but I would go with the water first. Causing someone to get in an accident and killing someone because they lose visibility due to being sprayed is concerning.   Embarrassed

It's only a windshield washer, not a fire hose. I suspect they will be squirted on for a second or two & for a few seconds will be not sure what happened then back off. But I don't really care..I don't tailgate because it's dangerous & rude. What I'd really like to do is turn around & shoot there tires out & I'm sure that would cause them to crash but I concede   Roll Eyes that would not be the proper thing to do.
Alan  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2013 at 8:27am

TX 73 gone   Offline
Top Gun Member
My Vette went to a good
home!
Sugar Land, TX

when I went to pick up my other Solstice a few months back I had a guy ride my butt and of course had his brights on. this would have been perfect to do and the fact that they would have to stop and wipe off their windshield before they can take off is priceless. I hate it and would start off with gasoline first and hook up a sparkplug to it and set their butt on fire. and for they know, your radiator could have spring a leak so I think it's a good idea.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 1:06pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Well, I had a tailgating incident this morning!
I was taking my wife to work on on this two lane road, one leading to the freeway, (always busy, long line) and the other lane is left turn only (not busy). I was first car in the lane at the light waiting and I see this car come speeding up on the other side and comes next to me, not turning right but waiting to cut in on me when light turns green. I told my wife this is a classic jerk who doesn't want to wait in line with everyone else. Looked like an Arab too. Anyways, light turns green, I jump out ahead, so he cuts in front of the guy behind me. Then proceeds to tailgate, and I mean like a half a car length, all the while flipping me off. So I hit my brakes, not hard though as he was so close... dang near hit me anyway. This really sets him off as when we're on the freeway, he roars by yelling and flipping us off. I told my wife... see? Classic jerk, everyday we see them. We proceed to go over to the bus lane/two people lane and about a mile up the road, we see the jerk slowing down in the next lane. We slowed down below speed limit, he slows down slower till he is alongside. Has his window down and is yelling and cussing at us again with the finger. We manage to get ahead because traffic slowed him down... kept weaving and getting next to us... finally he threw some stuff at us the items whatever they were hit our car. So, now I'm mad, but wifey is in the car so I whip behind him, get his license number and have Iryn call the police. When we get to her work, we see two big chips on the side of the car. Must have been coins or something. Now wifely blames me saying I aggravated him. Dang! I can't win. Then an hour ago, Iryn texted me saying the police pulled the guy over and he denied throwing anything and said we harassed him. Officer wants to know if we want to file a claim, Iryn doesn't want to as she says it was my fault for hitting my brakes...  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Oct 18th, 2013 at 1:29pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

You called the police first which means you were harassed. Looking at you & Iryn...no tickets, good citizens...guess who they are gonna believe. Press charges & I'm betting this guy has been in trouble before. Then report it to your insurance company. You were lucky he didn't have a gun..sounds like the kind of nut that would use it. They drive like that here too...that's why I like driving that Avalanche with that big nasty tow hitch on the back. I usually just let them go..my moto "I want them in front of me so I can see them crash". The vette is different I really feel unsafe with a jerk on my butt.  To bad I wasn't with you we could have shot his tires out then completely deny it like him Roll Eyes
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 6:52am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

I like your thinking Alan!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #11 - Oct 19th, 2013 at 9:06am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Hanford, California

Mentally I'm sure some people never got out of the 2nd grade Undecided respect and decency are lost on so many people today. Went to a car show and I made SURE my grandson knew not to touch the cars. Hoping he gets the message on respecting things that don't belong to him. Yellowjacket, sorry to her what you went through...... Back when I was active duty Navy we would say this person needed a " skull shock " Smiley just saying Roll Eyes
....Mark

IP Logged

Reply #12 - Oct 22nd, 2013 at 5:26am

Widetrack   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Pittsburgh Area

Hey Guys,
I don't know if I'm way out of line here; but reading these posts confirms that we encounter some strange units out there. I've noticed that when I'm driving my Yukon; most people are fairly nice - they don't pull out in front, give you some room etc. When I'm driving my wife's Cadillac; people don't seem to be very nice at all - pull out, cut you off - almost dare you to hit them. But, when I'm driving my '72 Vette; the "crazys" really seem to come out of the woodwork. As was mentioned; the tailgating plus the cut-offs - no one, other than another Vette driver, will let you out. Every nit-wit in a "rice-rocket with a sewing machine motor wants to race. In my old age I've gotten mellow and I try not to let it bother me and really do want to avoid confrontation. However, just in case, I do keep a snub-nose .38 handy for insurance. My Dad always told me, "Insurance is the one thing in life; you can't buy when you need it." Anyway, it seems to me that there are an awful lot of people out there that don't like us. But then again maybe I'm not only getting mellow , but also paranoid. Have a great day, Dan 

IP Logged

Reply #13 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 2:39pm

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

You summed it up nicely Dan!

IP Logged

Reply #14 - Oct 24th, 2013 at 2:51pm

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I haven't been able to try it out yet as I'm still waiting for cyro rotors for the frt breaks to come in. I'll see if I can post a video on line & put a link in here.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.