Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Anybody get their brakes fixed at a chain store like Sears, Midas, etc? (Read 2062 times)
Dec 21st, 2013 at 5:21pm

Jimmie   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Hi, I need to have my brakes checked out and fixed.  Has anybody used one of the National chains to work on theirs?  Mine is a 1969.  (I asked this on another forum but in a slightly different way.)

Thanks,
Jim Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2013 at 5:22pm by Jimmie »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 21st, 2013 at 7:37pm

Bill   Offline
I Love my Corvette!
Oswego,il

Hi Jim
I took a car to Midas about 40 yrs ago,didn't appreciate the up sell.There are a number of small shops with certified wrenches in my area,I found a young guy who does work on the side.Maybe your local vette club could recommend a good one,better to build a relationship than fight with a big box operation.Good luck Merry Christmas ?Bill

Drive On
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 3:10am

77vette   Offline
Top Gun Member
Sioux Falls, S.D

Hello,

A couple of years ago I took mine to sears, left two hours later with the same problem. All they did was try and throw parts at it, however, the mechanics in your area might be better suited for the job.
Check with a local club in your area, I am sure they would be happy to recommend someone.

Ron
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2013 at 4:20am by 77vette »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 6:30am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Not even for my daily driver. The up sell makes me want to puke..............jack

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2013 at 6:33am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I would also ask local corvette owners, most don't have a early C-3 so you could be at a loss there plus a lot of clubs cater to the people with late model vetts & they could care less.  Find a good local mechanic with gray hair. The breaks on theses cars is a little harder to fix than most cars.  Whats wrong with your breaks? It might be a simple repair worth looking at yourself. Post your approx location there could be a member close by willing to help.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 23rd, 2013 at 1:09pm
seventyate   Ex Member

Hi, the first question here is, do you have mechanical skills and tools to do the job.  Just changing brake pads is not a tough job at all, if you have to change calipers then you may get in over  your head as one thing leads to another on these older cars.  Chain garages are not the place you want to go to with any car especially a corvette. Like they said check for a Corvette club, they my have members that are always tinkering with these cars. Don't neglect checking guys with muscle cars or street rods.  Some very talented mechanics with them.  I remember a few years back going into a alignment place and checking on a front end alignment.  Price was on the board behind the guy, I told him I would like to bring in a 75 Vette and he says it may cost more as when you start on these older cars you find issues. I told him everything in the front end is new and he still says you don't know what you are going to come across.  Didn't go there.
Ed

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 9:38am

Jimmie   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Advice was heeded!  I got new parts from SSBC.  My step son and I installed them last week. Wasn't so hard after all.  Here's to PB Blaster once again for old bolt loosening. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Jun 26th, 2014 at 5:50pm

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Can't go wrong with buying bulk PB or WD if you have a C-3  Cheesy
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.