Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

trailing arm bolts removal (Read 2011 times)
Apr 23rd, 2014 at 4:50pm

boo1971   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Hello, I have a '71 and am in restoration process, body removed, front suspension removed, and now working on trailing arms, these bolts are stuck, they will turn inside but will not back out, one nut came off and the other broke off, what did you do to get yours out? Thanks, Acco

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 12:23am

ve77er   Offline
Global Moderator
Holland PA

I assume you have the little access panels removed in the front of the wheel well, you can try to use a large flat screwdriver or prybar, you should be able to drive the bolt out with a punch and large hammer (1LB  mini-sledge)after soaking the bolt with 3 in 1 type penetrating oil (I like a product made by Kano Industries caller Aerokroil-the absolute best penetrating oil I have ever used) as the bushings have probably seized on the bolt shaft, I would avoid heat as the fiberglass body is in fairly close proximity plus you have brake lines running along the frame. keep us posted on you progress and welcome to the forum!!
...............Chris  Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:52am

68-73   Online
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

What Chris said & sometimes a hair dryer helps after the soaking..just make sure to keep the shims in the correct order so when you put new ones in , preferably stainless steel the rear will be in correct alignment.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2014 at 4:25pm

wnmech   Offline
Top Gun Member
I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Grand Prairie Texas

Worst case scenario will be to remove the shims like Alan mentioned and get your recripitating saw out with a 32 teeth per inch metal blade and cut the bolts and remove the trailing arm then drive out the remains of the bolts.
Rick

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2014 at 1:11pm

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Welcome to a great forum Wink whatever penetrating oil you use, purchase it in the large container Cheesy take your time and have fun Cool
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.