Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

time flies (Read 1928 times)
Aug 28th, 2014 at 4:19am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Been having a slight leak on the 68 top radiator hose when the engine is hot. So I went back & looked ..it's been 12 yrs since I replaced it Tongue.  So I ordered a top & bottom & will install today. Funny how time gets away...
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 5:25am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Alan
I know what your saying, looked in the mirror the other day and was surprised to see an old man Undecided
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Aug 29th, 2014 at 7:28am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

68-73 wrote on Aug 28th, 2014 at 4:19am:
Been having a slight leak on the 68 top radiator hose when the engine is hot. So I went back & looked ..it's been 12 yrs since I replaced it Tongue.  So I ordered a top & bottom & will install today. Funny how time gets away...
Alan Smiley

You've had it that long? I guess so as I started this forum over 12 years ago.
01/12/01 at 1:26am
« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2014 at 7:31am by yellowjacket »  

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 9:23am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Well it's leaking from the top side of the radiator. Looked around for repair shops & I'm not to convinced it can be repaired & stay fixed. So I'm ordering another Dewitts Radiator today after I talk to them. Just not sure I need the HD one with 1.25 fins...I'm thinking the 1" will work fine because I don't have headers now & the compression is less than 9-1 now. It was 12.5 -1 before.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Sep 2nd, 2014 at 11:46am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

That Blue Monster still has a ton of power. You haven't skimped yet, don't now... get the best radiator you can buy.  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Sep 3rd, 2014 at 4:32am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I did talk to Dewitts yesterday & they said the HD radiator is not needed.  If I was pushing 600+HP then the HD would be needed , but I'm at around $450 hp & 550 + TQ so I'm good to go with the 1" fins.  If I had headers & compression of 10-1 or higher then that's a different story.  I built this engine to be a real nice driver...the 73 with a stroker puts out a lot more heat because of the higher compression , alum heads & headers. It's very important to decide what kind of car you want to drive then build it accordingly.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 8:32am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Just finished installing the Dewitts radiator this morning.  I also went to a local radiator shop about the one I took out. He said it's almost impossible to weld them but he does have good experiences with some kind of epoxy he uses on motorcycle alum radiators . So I'll give that a shot & if it works I'll put it in the 77 & save the original radiator & have it gone over by the same guy.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2014 at 12:05pm

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I had my radiator re-cored  years ago with a 4 core high flow! Not as light as an aluminum but it is extremely effective at cooling!

Sounds awesome Alan!

Scott

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.