Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

fine metal flecks found right rear (Read 1958 times)
Feb 26th, 2015 at 6:05pm

samuel   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Removing my right wheel after hearing a rubbing noise while driving I noticed fine metal flecks on top of trialing arm, inside wheel, etc. Checked 1/2 shaft and wheel hub fortightness all seemed okay with cv joint and wheel bearing play. Wondering if it could be parking brake shoe or hardware rubbing. Dont think I have heard of bad wheel bearings producing metal shavings. Need to drill out the rivets on hub to get a look at the E brake. any thoughts or suggestions on this?

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 8:40pm

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Having that happen in the what I call the scary area is a major concern. I would look real close at what your flecks are made of, tire rubber? brake pads? etc. find out for sure what the flecks are and go from there. I would not take it on a high speed fun run until fixed. I'm sure a more knowledgeable forum member will jump in with some help. Be safe and let us know what the problem is Cool
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 4:15am

samuel   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Cars on jacks right now, not driving until I fix it. Flecks appear metallic, shiny but dont seem to be magnetic as a magnet doesn't seem to  pick it up. Stock wheels are on so no rubbing there.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 5:11am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

I would look at the parking break assy. Just mark the rotor so you put it on in the same location & do a run out on the rotor after everything is back together.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 5:14am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

I agree with the park brake hardware. Replace with stainless steel...............jack

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 6:36pm

samuel   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

pulling the rotor and putting back on in the same location will change the run out?

If it does how would I check for this and if its not correct what do i need to correct it?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 5:00am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Putting it back on in the same location should not change the run out. I just like to check it while I'm in there. Here's an inexpensive one
http://www.harborfreight.com/clamping-dial-indicator-93051.html
If you do the breaks on these cars you need one of these.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 6:57am

samuel   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

thanks for the info. Never used one. How is it used? what am I looking for and if it off does that mean I need a new rotor?

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 7:47am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Info all over the internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_1ySs7liS4

Some are magnetic base & some clamp on. If memory serves me right you want .005 run out or less. There rear trailing arm assy  & rotor should be balanced as an assy but in the real world it aim't gonna happen. As long as your bearings are good you should be able to get the proper run out ...if not have the rotors turned & recheck ( move the rotor one stud at a time to get the least run out). Excessive run out can cause the breaks to pulsate & pull air into the break system which causes a spongy break pedal...hope this makes sense.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 4:46pm

samuel   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Okay, drilled out the rivet heads and have been hammering away on the rivet studs with a 1/4" punch with no success. they are in so tight I cant imagine they would ever come loose on their own so I figure i can leave them in without worry about them coming out.

The lower PB spring appears to be the culprit as it was hanging loose on one end where it was worn thin and shiny at the hook. Sure beats pulling the whole hub to replace wheel bearings as many had suggested. Any tips on replacing the PB shoes and hardware?

IP Logged

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2015 at 6:56pm

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

This might help a little.
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech-articles/1965-1982-corvette-brake-rotor-rep...
Was told one time that checking the run-out before you run is great insurance  Cool
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2015 at 4:08am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

Those rear parking breaks are a PIA, Just take your time...a long pair of needle nose will come in handy & a hefty spring hook
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.