Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

1971 L48 Rear Differential (Read 1097 times)
Oct 31st, 2015 at 10:47am

Richard   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Hello knowledgeable folks,

I’m working on my 1971 base model L48 coupe built in January 1971 (F16 on door plate).
It has matching engine numbers, looks to be the original 71-CK THM400 tranny but the rear differential looks to be a 1978 with ID “OKO37W8E1”. If I was to find a 1971 differential housing, I gather I would look for an “AW” (3.08) (L48) but what other numbers/letters would I look for so that it would appear to be build prior to January 1971 as per the VIN to become a matching numbers car again? or is that even possible?

Thank you,
Richard
« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2015 at 6:09pm by Richard »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2015 at 1:49pm

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

You would be looking for the date code that would be casted into the housing at the foundry. Finding with your build date will be a chore to say the least. Not saying it is impossible though...................jack

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2015 at 6:17pm

Richard   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Thanks Jack.
Even if I had a housing that was built prior to the vehicle date (January 71) would probably be fine but I haven't found the code breakdown for 1971 and newer differentials. There seems to be a lot of info on the older housing code sequences but not on the 1970 or 1971 and newer. Does anyone know how to get the date and other info from the later C3 housing codes?
Cheers,
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 8:56am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

Saw this one on ebay item number 161871264002 it is from a 71 big block AW I didn't see the date code............jack

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:33am

Richard   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

I saw that one. It is definitely LT1 or big block etc. because of the u-joint straps and threaded bolts rather than U-bolts on the stub shafts.
I can't seem to find any info anywhere on deciphering this years differential codes? Its weird.

Cheers,
Richard

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2015 at 6:39am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Hello,
I'm absolutely NOT an expert here but maybe have an idea?
Have you considered looking at info for earlier/later cars since you can not find specifics on the 71. For example I have a 69 and know there are restoration books that go into pains taking detail of every mark, sticker, label, tag, part, piece, and factory correct writing from workers on the car.

Maybe finding one of these books for a 69 could give you insight as to what the 71 might be labeled like. 

Again, I am no expert and am only interested in the appearance of a stock 69 so that is as far as my number knowledge goes!

Good luck!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Nov 8th, 2015 at 5:40pm

Richard   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Hey Scott,
I bought an AIM and its awesome but I haven't shelled out for a restoration book yet. There is so much info here and on the interweb that I haven't had to buy a resto book yet.
The 70 and older codes seems to be deciphered but the 71 and up C3s diffs seem to be different and illusive.
I will find out and post it when I do...
cheers,
Richard

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.