Corvette

Welcome to one of the friendliest Corvette forums on the net.  We are fortunate to have some of the best C3 expertise available.  There are no stupid questions when it comes to C3 Corvettes, so tell us what you need to know because some of our members have 'been there, done that'.  Thank you for your visit, we appreciate it.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

best "tech tip" you were ever taught? (Read 676 times)
Feb 25th, 2016 at 7:55pm

thefatguy   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

when i was but a young lad,
i learned under a krusty old master.
( im sure more than a few of us did )
and although he taught me TONS,
there are a few gems that stand out
even 35+years later...

"its all a chain, boy-caint touch one
link without effecting all the others.
and a chains only as strong as its
weakest link"...

this refers to the classic gearhead
issue we have all had-drop in that
400+hp motor, and blow the trans.
fix trans, break rear end. fix rear
end, tweak suspension. fix
suspension, bend frame. and on
and on and on....

"theres 5 magic 'C's' to remember.
cubic inches.
compression
camshaft
carburetor
converter (or clutch)
get em right and yer car will
FLY. get even 1 wrong and
yer a dead duck"...

i still adhere to this today.
match em all and youll have a
huge smile on your face.
get even 1 wrong and you
will be mighty unhappy.

and finally--

him, out of the blue---"hey, boy..
you ever butt-stuff a woman"?

me,after several seconds---"uuuuh...why"?

him---"because, you CAN"...... Shocked

"if i cant eat it, ride it, drive it or f*ck it then i dont care"...
IP Logged

Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2016 at 9:46pm

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Hanford, California

I'm too old to up the horse power Undecided I'll just stick to driving Smiley the drive train and engine will be stock and hoping it will last a LONG time Wink
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2016 at 11:56pm

thefatguy   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

olddiver wrote on Feb 28th, 2016 at 9:46pm:
I'm too old to up the horse power Undecided I'll just stick to driving Smiley the drive train and engine will be stock and hoping it will last a LONG time Wink
....Mark

you dont give up fast cars cause you get old
  you get old cause you gave up the fast cars!

i put 9000+ miles on this ROWDY 454 ( 292-.595-108 cam )
between the yearly safety checks last year, i expect it to go
at LEAST 75000 miles total before it comes out again for
another 'refreshing'.

if you build it and maintain it right, even a high powered motor
will last a long LONG time and be as reliable as a rock.

mine is. its my only car and daily driver. put 100+ miles on it today
including a lovely 2.5 hour spot in bumper to bumper traffic to
go 3 miles. ( guardrail kept me from turning around, had no
choice but to sit through it. ) car never got over 190 degrees...
although my feet feel cooked now !  Tongue

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 6:40am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
Hanford, California

I did see a 68 Dodge Dart with a 383/auto out of southern ca. It needed a few things to run and he still wanted about $11,000.00, out of my range but it was nice Wink
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:45pm

thefatguy   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

olddiver wrote on Apr 13th, 2016 at 6:40am:
I did see a 68 Dodge Dart with a 383/auto out of southern ca. It needed a few things to run and he still wanted about $11,000.00, out of my range but it was nice Wink
....Mark

oh yeah, we did a 67 dart GT for brother kevin a few years ago
with a GROUCHY 360 we pulled out of a junker diplomat at the scrapyard.
a home-brew rebuild with a "purpleshaft" 292-.505-108, a custom 2600 stall and 3.91's
had him running consistant 13.08/13.10/13.11/13.07  @ 105+mph all night long....
on 14x6 rallys and 235/60 bfg's!

fun fun FUN....

i always tried to get him to spring for the 440 Kmember but he wasnt biting...
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2016 at 11:47pm by thefatguy »  

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:27am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Stroked my 67 Dodge Coronet 440 to a 406 w/alum heads & roller rockers, 11-1,headers, Dana 60 3:55 built by DTS,2600 stall,  HD A618 4sd auto. Pushing over 500hp & tq. This is a fun car to drive & it'll burn the tires off the rims if you let it. Thinking about taking it to the track this year. Should run in the low 12's or maybe hit in the 11's. I would put this up against any 440 unless it's a monster build
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 4:30am

68-73-77   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Stroked my 67 Dodge Coronet 440 to a 406 w/alum heads & roller rockers, 11-1,headers, Dana 60 3:55 built by DTS,2600 stall,  HD A618 4sd auto. Pushing over 500hp & tq. This is a fun car to drive & it'll burn the tires off the rims if you let it. Thinking about taking it to the track this year. Should run in the low 12's or maybe hit in the 11's. I would put this up against any 440 unless it's a monster build
Alan Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdMsxXn2dHU

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2016 at 9:45am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
Hanford, California

nice Wink thanks Alan, enjoyed the burn-outs, made my day Smiley
....Mark

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.