Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Two years have gone by already! (Read 1224 times)
Apr 15th, 2016 at 6:53am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

It is hard to believe two years have gone by!

Well it has and it is time to haul Destiny out of the water!
A couple of weeks ago we totally scrubbed her topsides and she is looking good however Wednesday next week we'll have her lifted and put on stands.

Her bottom will get pressure washed. She'll dry for a day. Thursday we will sand off all the old paint that has not already sluffed. Friday we will completely wipe her bottom down to get all the dust off, Tape her up and the painting begins! Funny thing is painting goes pretty dang fast! Two coats of Interlux Micron CSC is our choice. Saturday is the work day. We'll be buffing and waxing her hull, water line to toe rail! Sunday around lunch, she'll get fresh zincs, lifted for painting where the stands were, and put back in the water!

OMG! A whirl wind of effort! My bride and I do it all ourselves! It provides a great personal and intimate knowledge of our boat and a great feeling of satisfaction to know we did it!

If you are bored come on by the Port of Everett and Say Hi!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 7:16am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Looks like good paint, I remember painting the bottom & had to where long sleeve shirt or the paint would burn your skin. The prep is the time consumer. Nice that your wife gets right in there...mine watched Grin but she always enjoyed the rides
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 10:00am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Yep I am lucky!
We were offered help this year and Diane prefers the two of us do it!
It is good bonding time for too!

The work is not really all that bad. For me the worst part is waxing. It is all on the ladder and I get tired going up and down up and down all day!

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2016 at 11:29am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I bought one of these a few yrs back & it's by far the best polisher hands down. Light & no vibration plus no swirls. Might want to look into one
http://www.mckeesrv.com/cyclo-polishers.html?productid=cyclo-polishers&channelid...

Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 6:53am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

That is a slick looking setup! The weight is very attractive also!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 8:46am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

one hand polishing is no problem & it dosen't beat you to death plus you can go to the corners & not worry about digging into the paint Cool I didn't get it from these people, but the same machine is sold many places
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 7:10am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Well, with great satisfaction I can say DONE!

Pretty standard work this year! After hauling her out the Port complimented my crew on their boating skills! They were impressed! Funny thing is while we were at the dock waiting for the travel lift, I told my crew ( daughter and son-in-law ) that we know exactly what we are doing and have done this many times, However, if one of the port crew offers instruction, they are to immediately disregard whatever my instructions are and listen to the port crew! My thoughts are we have done this MANY times over the years however the port does it MANY times a day! LOL!

After pressure washing Destiny seriously looked fantastic. Yes, washing and waxing was time however the bottom of the hull was exceptionally clean!

A long term boating friend and generation older couple dropped in to see how we were doing as we share the same slip area. They very strongly suggested some great ideas and literally laughed when we told them we used to haul Destiny every year!

Suggestions
1) Haul Destiny every year but only do the bottom every three years.
2) In the middle two years use the haul out to inspect, re-zinc and clean the water line.
3) In the middle two years have the boat hauled religiously at 11:00 AM.

Huh? 11:00? Every time? Why? well, it seems the Port is union and they are required to take lunches. Boat comes out at 11:00 and we have effectively now 2 hours instead of 1 to re-zinc, clean prop, clean water line, whatever! LOL!

MY bride says, speaking of water line, how do you clean that? the green is like cement!
Well, while they pressure wash, just follow behind with a light scrub. It comes right off! OMG! We've been fighting that crap for years! LOL!

So I did get to share my method of cleaning the yellow stain from the hull that seems to collect every year. Muratic acid! Dave laughs and says he has used it for years with great success! He buys it right there at West Marine! So I did get back with " We used toilet bowl cleaner!! From Lowes Hardware!  Dave laughs again and asked how much! WAY cheaper than west marine stuff!

I did all the sanding this year and my bride literally painted the entire bottom herself while I worked other things! She even finished off by painting where the jack stands were when Destiny was lifted again! We shared the waxing. I applied, she removed!

WOW! LOTS of work done in just 4 days! My bride rocks!

My body is still recovering and I well get a few photos up in the next couple of days.

It feels good to be done!
Scott

Whew!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 7:26am

yellowjacket   Offline
Global Moderator
Tacoma, WA

Remind me NOT to get into the sailboat hobby!
Too much work!!!
I'm going the travel trailer route. Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 8:25am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
Newark,Delaware

I remember those days ...boats are a lot of work, but lots of enjoyment too.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2016 at 8:49am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

yellowjacket wrote on Apr 27th, 2016 at 7:26am:
Remind me NOT to get into the sailboat hobby!
Too much work!!!
I'm going the travel trailer route. Cheesy

Yes sir, they are a LOT of work , however a large portion of the work is self imposed. Pride of ownership most certainly a key factor!

We desperately try and balance effort vs pleasure. However I can tell you right now that over the summer all this effort will be long forgotten! Our summer will close with a 3 week trip! With the boat in good working order, backup systems in place, and reasonable care we will not even think twice about the spring effort! Smiley

It is a labor of love!

Scott

Hmm, I bet I've spent more time working on my vette over all than the boat! LOL!

IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.