Corvette

WELCOME TO CORVETTEC3.COM WHICH STARTED IN 2002 WHICH MAKES IT ONE OF THE OLDEST CORVETTE FORUMS ON THE INTERNET.   WE WELCOME ANYONE THAT HAS INTEREST IN CLASSIC CARS ESPECIALLY CORVETTES.  WE ALSO WELCOME QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AS LONG AS YOU ARE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS.   AFTER JOINING AND POSTING 3 TIMES THE ENTIRE FORUM WILL BE AVAILABLE, THIS PROTECTS US AGAINST SPAMMERS
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Routing Spark Plug wires (Read 4935 times)
Jun 23rd, 2016 at 8:42am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ATTITUDE is the diff between
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Zipping up the freeway! Top down! Grinning ear to ear!  . . . and suddenly she misses a little . . . . Yikes!

Arriving at home I find my spark plug wires melted. Again. It would seem the plastic wire looms have softened over time and the little spreaders the wires click into actually widened enough to allow not one but TWO of my wires to come loose and touch the headers and melt. Yes, I used multiple sets in an attempt to arrange things properly and safely as this has happened before. Mostly before was my own lack of care but this last time I actively tried to run things to prevent this.

My setup:
Ramjet 350 basically a fuel injected SB
Iron Vortec Heads
Block Hugger headers

I know some folks run the wires under the headers but MAN, that seems very tight and higher risk of issues. I have been running over the headers but dang if I can't get these wires to not burn at some point in there lives. Some times it takes years. But dang if they don't manage to eventually slip and get burned or just downright cooked at the plugs!!

So, for those that have solved the problem . . . . What do you use to hold these wires? I suppose I could use wire ties and have at it but it just seems wrong and that there is a better way! Are there mounting points on the heads themselves that I have not seen? Searching there seems to be the free floating wire separators or the ones that bolt to the side bolts on the valve covers. I have center bolt valve covers.

What am I missing?

Thanks for input!
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 10:31am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Scott, This is the way I roughted mine. Used the 9000 degree wires from jets, then coated then with the slip over protection, also from jets. I think I posted a pic of the wires, and the boots under the engine subject a while back. I don't know if this will work because it's not back on the road yet and has not been tested  UndecidedSorry for the bad pis Undecided I also used the aluminum shields with wire zip ties. Hope this helps.

....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2016 at 11:51am

Artsvettes   Offline
Global Moderator
New Jersey

The way the factory routed the wires is the sure way to prevent the wires from roasting. I know you didn't want to hear that but you can't knock a proven fact. You would have to acquire all the mounting brackets and the covers that are fastened to the motor mounts. Should be able to find them on ebay. The wires are still available, Zip ties will melt any where near an exhaust manifold,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jack

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 4:40am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

Got busy yesterday, but here how I routed the 73 & it works fine..gotta replace that burnt oil sensor wire Huh

Here's the 68 & it works fine too..hard to see ,but the metal brackets attact to the valve covers. Used 8mm wire on both

hope this helps
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2016 at 11:49am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

Thanks for all the input guys!

Alan, your 73 pretty much what I did but I did not use MSD wire looms. mine were basic clip on plastic wire separators. They worked perfect until they didn't.

I suspect the header heat simply destroyed them. So I guess my concept was not bad. I just used a cheap product. Go figure.  Roll Eyes

I'll search up some pictures of the factory method and see how different that is and go from there. I don't mind fixing things but I hate fixing the same thing over and over! Doh!  Cheesy

Thanks
Scott

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 3:49pm

Dazmo   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

I have just got a 77 and it still has the gen chrome covers that run down the back of the motor from bissy . Got one of right side and having trouble getting left one of . Can anyone help me with this

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2016 at 5:21pm

Dazmo   Offline
I Love my Corvette!

Sorry it's the  dissy cap and the covers hold the spark plug leads . So they don't get fried .

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 6:53am

69Shark   Offline
YaBB Administrator
ORDEAL and ADVENTURE!
69shark

I ended up going to Jegs and getting something like this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-72132

The set I bought are red though. But basically the same thing.

I did not realize there were threaded holes in the heads already! LOL!
Just had to dig through the parts bin and get some fitting bolts!

WOW! perfect! For now any way.

We'll see if the plastic holds up over time. The set I bought also indicated for use on racing engines which makes me hope they handle heat better.

Scott

IP Logged

Reply #8 - Aug 5th, 2016 at 7:11am

68-73   Offline
YaBB Administrator
NCRS Member 68,73,77 Corvettes
Newark,Delaware

You should be fine, Ive had them on the 68 for many yrs now.
For Dazmo: The left & Rt side both are routed down in the back & between the headers & engine.
Alan Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 10:58am

olddiver   Offline
Global Moderator
1980 Red California Special
Medara, California

Hope you get many years of service Smiley
....Mark

Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who on the threshold of victory they sat down to rest, and resting they died.
IP Logged

Copy Rights and Trademarks Disclaimer: The Corvette name is a copyrighted trademark / sales mark of the Chevrolet Motors Division of General Motors. Any use of the Corvette name at this site is used only as a point of reference to their automobiles or automotive products line of the same name. No copyright / trademark / sales mark infringements are intended or implied. This web site is independently operated as a free informational service for the benefit of Corvette Owners and other interested parties. Neither the Chevrolet Motor Division nor any other segment of General Motors or its affiliates or subsidiaries shall bear any responsibility whatsoever for its content.

CorvetteC3.com Privacy Policy: Some or all of our partners, affiliates, advertisers and other associates may collect, serve and/or use computer cookies to enhance user experiences. Cookies are generally not considered "problematic" or harmful. However, please be advised that "cookies and IP related information" are being collected, tracked and used while visiting and using our website. By using and visiting www.corvettec3.com, you agree to be bound by the terms contained herein. Clearing Web Browser Cookies. We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.